At a loss with DCS-BIOS install

bartzebrat

[RESOLVED]

Hi all,

For some reason the DCS-BIOS web interface doesn't list my DCS (OB) install.

I installed through the .msi v0.10 found on Github.

I added in the export.lua under C:\Users\me\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\ the lines:

BIOS = {}; BIOS.LuaScriptDir = [[C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\]]; BIOS.PluginDir = [[C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming/DCS-BIOS/Plugins\]]; if lfs.attributes(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) ~= nil then dofile(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) end --[[DCS-BIOS Automatic Setup]]

dofile(lfs.writedir()..[[scripts\DCS-BIOS\BIOS.lua]])

I tried without the windows (7) firewall.

I tried without AVAST

I tried without AVAST and firewall

I tried IE, Firefox, Chrome

I uninstalled/reinstalled DCS-BIOS-Hub-Setup-v0.10.0.msi

I installed plugins

I connected my arduino uno (connected on COM 3, green in interface)

I incorporated the library in the arduino IDE

I spent hours trying to figure out what I missed in that installation process that seems so short? and simple...?

My source for installation was initially http://dcs-bios.a10c.de/ but I also read https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=137670 (DCSFlightpanels (DCSFP) thread. Saitek Pro Flight Panels & DCS - ED Forums) which provides a totally different approach to the installation process (why is there a socat here that doesn't seem to be part of the .msi package?).

Note: my DCS install is not in the default folder.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I was not expecting to be stuck so soon in the process...

Thank you

Edited by bartzebrat
KIND oF RESOLVED...

Hi all,

For some reason the DCS-BIOS web interface doesn't list my DCS (OB) install.

I installed through the .msi v0.10 found on Github.

I added in the export.lua under C:\Users\me\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\ the lines:

BIOS = {}; BIOS.LuaScriptDir = [[C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\]]; BIOS.PluginDir = [[C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming/DCS-BIOS/Plugins\]]; if lfs.attributes(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) ~= nil then dofile(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) end --[[DCS-BIOS Automatic Setup]]

dofile(lfs.writedir()..[[scripts\DCS-BIOS\BIOS.lua]])

I tried without the windows (7) firewall.

I tried without AVAST

I tried without AVAST and firewall

I tried IE, Firefox, Chrome

I uninstalled/reinstalled DCS-BIOS-Hub-Setup-v0.10.0.msi

I installed plugins

I connected my arduino nano (connected on COM 3, green in interface)

I incorporated the library in the arduino IDE

I spent hours trying to figure out what I missed in that installation process that seems so short? and simple...?

My source for installation was initially http://dcs-bios.a10c.de/ but I also read https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=137670 (DCSFlightpanels (DCSFP) thread. Saitek Pro Flight Panels & DCS - ED Forums) which provides a totally different approach to the installation process (why is there a socat here that doesn't seem to be part of the .msi package?).

Note: my DCS install is not in the default folder.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I was not expecting to be stuck so soon in the process...

Thank you

Hi Bartzebrat,

I had the same problem.... Classic fix for me. Turn the PC off, and on again. Then all the Plugins listed too.

Mole

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

IF you dont have DCS installed in the default location. i dont think DCS-BIOS will find it. At the bottom of the DCS Connection page, it should say

"If your DCS installation is not shown above, you can manually add the following line to your Export.lua to enable the Virtual Cockpit Connection:"

Then below it, it should have the various pieces of code to add to the Export.Lua which is located in: Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts

for Example, mine looks like:

BIOS = {}; BIOS.LuaScriptDir = [[C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\dcs-lua\]]; BIOS.PluginDir = [[C:\Users"YourUserNameHERE"l\AppData\Roaming/DCS-BIOS/Plugins\]]; if lfs.attributes(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) ~= nil then dofile(BIOS.LuaScriptDir..[[bIOS.lua]]) end --[[DCS-BIOS Automatic Setup]]

That just gets pasted into the ExportLua. If not... i would suggest install DCS in the default location to try it then.

UPDATED: I have dug into all the files i can find that are code related for DCS Bios. and i cant find anywhere where the file path for DCS is explicitly declared, so it must either be pulling it from the windows registry or some other voodoo like searching the environment variable for program files. However, the export.lua script should(emphasized) be all that you need to get it to work. If that doesn't i would try to contact some of the DCS Bios people on here directly and ask them about it. I'm running in to some weird issues myself that are currently un-explainable.

Edited by fullwoody

RESOLVED (well sort of...)

Thanks. I have not found the exact solution but used a workaround: use an older version of the install that doesn't go through this web interface.

When manually launching "connect-serial-port" the arduino connects successfully to DCS.

I am now facing other challenges! But that's another story...

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. I have not found the exact solution ...

Ok got it working... for me I think my old registry entry for DCS were lost (I installed windows ~5 times this year, but never did I have to reinstall DCS - just made a shortcut and it worked ... till now)

So what I did is

1. "d:\games\DCS World OpenBeta" (install folder)
  2. renamed to "d:\games\DCS World OpenBeta-temp"
  3. Downloaded and ***Started*** the Beta install to the folder in step 1 (it won't let you use an existing folder)
  4. before files started downloading I checked the "http://localhost:5010/app/hubconfig/setup" and it was there
  5. I canceled the install and renamed my folder back to the original

The State Military (CVW-17)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

INFERNO 404

F/A-18C BuNo 163435

VFA-81

LTJG F. “Tigger” Wolf

www.statelyfe.com

• 4 months later...
Ok got it working... for me I think my old registry entry for DCS were lost (I installed windows ~5 times this year, but never did I have to reinstall DCS - just made a shortcut and it worked ... till now)

So what I did is

3. Downloaded and ***Started*** the Beta install to the folder in step 1 (it won't let you use an existing folder)
  4. before files started downloading I checked the "http://localhost:5010/app/hubconfig/setup" and it was there

You sir, are a genious. Thank you so much for sharing. It was really helpful! <3

• 3 months later...

Why is this even a thing? Installed DCS BIOS last night in preparation for my Tekcreations UFC and again it can't find the non standard install. Had to do what fedaykinwolf did.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

• 3 months later...

I'm at a loss too. Bought a Tekcreations Huey panel. Tried installing everything according to the online BIOS guide but no connection.

I just reinstalled DCS Openbeta in the default folder (I assume the above advice shouldn´t apply in this case?): "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" 

Then reinstalled DCS-BIOS-Hub-Setup-v0.10.0 to C:\Program Files\DCS-BIOS\     

Is this the right install directory? 

I click open web interface, then in the browser, com3 is highlighted green and is connected. Virtual cockpit is not however and under lua console > status, DCS connection remains greyed out.

I have no idea what to do.

Edited by RabidRider

If it's showing as connected, it might be your arduino code.
Sometimes switching between "default" and "IRQ" types fixes issues.
Sometimes it's because the "include" for DCS-BIOS wasn't the last one added.

Sometimes people miss a silly error that makes an infinite loop of apathy.

Heya @RabidRiderno need to worry about the code mentioned above, its not the issue, the panel works fine with DCSBIOS. its just an installation issue and DCSBIOS not finding the DCS install.

I run steam Open beta and dcsbios always "just works" for me on every machine I've tried so I can't really relate on specific ways to solve it.

Even though you did the reinstall I am guessing its still possibly a registry issue, did you follow fedaykinwolfs steps below?

On 1/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, fedaykinwolf said:

So what I did is

I always reccomend DCSBIOS V10 as its got the nice gui and easier to get up and running for most, if you are adventurous another thing you could tri is the DCSBIOS from dcsflihtpanels its a bit more a manual process to setup and run but seems to work better for people with different install directories etc.

"Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way" (Gen. George Patton)

https://www.tekcreations.space

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have two DCS installations, the Stable and the Open Beta, both of which install on an additional disk with the folders in both savegames in the user folder.
I performed exactly the same procedure for both release by installing the DCS-Bios v0.10.0 on the PC, modifying in both installation the "script \ Export.lua" with the command for enabling BIOS and "script \ bin \ Config.lua" with the port modifyed to 1725 in the same way, copied to both installation savedgame in "script" the "DCS-ExportScript" folder of version 1.2.1, if launching the two versions alternately if I open DCS-BIOS Hub from web browser in DCS Connection I see both installations green with all three ticks for each activated, runnung the two release alternatively with a mission started in Lua Console i see the DCS Connection green as in the Dashboard I see green both Virtual Cockpit and Lua Console, but from the Stable installation if I test the connection from the StramDeck with the DCS Interface v1.0.3 plug-in installed and port changed to 1725 everything works correctly and I see the commands sent and the values of been read, if instead I launch the Open Beta it does not connect or write anything.
I also tried renaming the Open Beta installation and re-launching an installation in the same path then remove the new installation and restore the original but nothing changes.
Some idea?