Issue with RoughMet Cockpit Texture

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on importing a custom AC + cockpit into DCS and I am having a few issues with the RoughMet map;

1. Roughness map is inverted - looking at the texture the white parts = rough and vice versa. However, when importing into the ModelViewer, the texture is flipped and the parts that SHOULD be white end up being black?

2. The AO map/Red Channel is ignored in the viewer (and in-game).

I have the materials set to "default" in Max, with the following;

Albedo -> Diffuse Color

RoughMet -> Specular Level

Normal -> Bump

I've tried plugging the RoughMet into different channels with no luck, I've tried changing the material values (I'm unsure if this even does anything).

I have the map correctly set-up (Red = AO, Green = Rough, Blue = Met).

Does anyone have any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Wow, roughly 4 years later, and I'm facing these SAME EXACT issues. The only difference being: I'm using Blender and the EDM Exporter Plugin instead of 3DS Max. But, despite the different 3D modeling software, we're pretty much in the same case.

I'm working on a Cockpit Mod for the F-15C because I can't stand looking at that 8+ years old cockpit model anymore (poor F-15C, forsaken by ED), and have just finished remodeling of the Flight Stick (the original FC3 model is insufferable to look at. The stick is DISGUSTINGLY incomplete - only half of the 3D mesh visible, the side facing the player, while the backside of the stick is just a massive hole in the mesh). And even though I've set the material of the Stick to use the Stick_RoughMet texture, the ModelViewer does not read the texture correctly.

It completely ignores the R channel, leaving the mesh with an all-white Ambient Occlusion channel, and inverts the G channel, which inverts the behaviour of the Roughness channel. Only the B channel is read correctly, making the metallic parts look like metal.

Have you found a solution for the issue, after all those years?

[edit] All of the roughmet textures previously setup on the original mesh of the cockpit are correctly read by the ModelViewer. The problem is only in the new mesh parts (in my case, the new Flight Stick). Diffuse/Albedo Maps and Normal Maps are working just fine, the problem is only on the RoughMets.

Edited by WilliamLink
Additional info

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @3.6GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 8GB | HyperX Fury 16GB RAM @2666MHz | ASUS Prime B-350 Plus | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W PSU | Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | 1.25TB HDD Total | NZXT Phantom Black Full-Tower ATX Case | Saitek-Mad Catz F.L.Y.5 Flight Stick + Xbox 360 Controller + Keyboard + Mouse Combo for DCS | FreeTrack + PS3 Eye + 3-LED clip Combo for headtracking

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I figured out what was causing the issue, and it's ridiculously simpler than I thought: It has to do with the NAMING of the textures.

For instance, In my case, I had 3 textures for the Flight Stick of the F-15C I was working on:
One for the Diffuse/Albedo/Color called "Stick_Diff";
One for the Normals called "Stick_Normal";
One for the RoughMet called "Stick_RoughMet".

Normal Map was working fine, but in order to get the RoughMet texture to work, IT MUST HAVE THE SAME EXACT NAME of the Diffuse texture + the suffix "_RoughMet". So in that case, the correct name for the roughmet should be "Stick_Diff_RoughMet".

OR

What I did instead: I decided to remove the suffix "_Diff" from the Diffuse texture, and just call it "Stick". This fixed the issue, because now that the RoughMet does have the same exact name of the Diffuse texture + the suffix. And the names look more organised this way.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @3.6GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 8GB | HyperX Fury 16GB RAM @2666MHz | ASUS Prime B-350 Plus | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W PSU | Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | 1.25TB HDD Total | NZXT Phantom Black Full-Tower ATX Case | Saitek-Mad Catz F.L.Y.5 Flight Stick + Xbox 360 Controller + Keyboard + Mouse Combo for DCS | FreeTrack + PS3 Eye + 3-LED clip Combo for headtracking