F14 Damage Model for Gyros 'Too Sensitive'

gary palmer

Everytime I fly this beautiful plane I end up with busted/broken gyro. May I humbly request the damage model for gyro damage be made less sensitive. Most times after some savage dogfighting I am flying with broken gyros so compass direction not available. Takes away from the fun of the game and current level of sensitivity does not seem realistic. Am aware it was a weakness in the real aircraft. Gary

Just for the sake of clarification, are you saying its "does not seem realistic." however you "Am aware it was a weakness in the real aircraft." ?

That out of the way what's your G-meter max needle read after these engagements? It takes well over 10 Gs to get the Gyros out of alignment let alone break them.

I've seen gyros misbehave after what I think is less G's - I don't know if the type of maneuver has a bearing on whether they topple or not.

But in quite a lot of flying hours it's only maybe happened four or five times.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

There is a G meter max min pegs that follow your G meters needle and stay at their highest spots. easy way to tell is simply look at your Gmeter to find out your peak G loading.

A10C - Block 5+7, AV8B/NA Harrier, F-14B.

Pentium G4560, GTX 1050Ti, 20GB's total, 1x16GB Kingston Hyper X, And a 1x4GB Avexir Core Series kit, fleamarket mouse/keyboard, i swear it works fine :megalol:

I will have to politely disagree here, the INS and the gyros are one of the most realistic renditions of an INS in any sim to date. We pride ourselves very much for that, I must admit. I also have to add, that when I break it, I know I will, and it is a calculated risk I take. But I do not ever break it (with the odd exception) unwillingly. It is one of the integral parts of the Tomcat experience, to hone the flying so that you avoid such instances. And it does take quite some unaware (or careless) pulling, to break them. Below 9 G no chance anyway, so usually it breaks from spikes that exceed 10G or more even or spikes that are maybe somewhere between 9 and 10 G but violent enough to break em.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I will have to politely disagree here, the INS and the gyros are one of the most realistic renditions of an INS in any sim to date. We pride ourselves very much for that, I must admit. I also have to add, that when I break it, I know I will, and it is a calculated risk I take. But I do not ever break it (with the odd exception) unwillingly. It is one of the integral parts of the Tomcat experience, to hone the flying so that you avoid such instances. And it does take quite some unaware (or careless) pulling, to break them. Below 9 G no chance anyway, so usually it breaks from spikes that exceed 10G or more even or spikes that are maybe somewhere between 9 and 10 G but violent enough to break em.

Speaking of realistic renditions, when will you guys implement over heat and fried electronics when the ECS isn't on in the Tomcat? I know the JF-17's electronics get fried when the ECS isn't on in DCS.

Edited by Xenovia

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a reason the Navy put a 6.5 G limit on it.

That was more to do with airframe longevity and less to do with the structural capabilities of the avionics. You have to remember that the Tomcat was rated to 7.5g at M2. One of the strongest airframes ever made. People tend to forgot what being a carrier aircraft does to a jet over 30+ years.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Thanks for your helpful input IronMike...looks like I need to be less violent with pitch axis....can someone point out to me where is this G-meter in cockpit. Gary

My pleasure Gary. You will find the G-meter just right of the VDI/HSD or if you like infront of your right knee.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

You have to learn how to fly smoothly. The plane does not like it if you pull abrupt movements, especially at high speeds. Once I got the feel of that I've almost never had a problem with ripping the wings off or broken INS again

Modules - F-18, F-16, Spitfire, F-5, Supercarrier, F-14, A10-C, MiG-21, Huey

Thankyou CommanderRabb, IronMike, Sirius for the help in understanding this issue. Implementing your advice has helped but I must say the INS/gyro still sits right on the edge of getting damage at high Gs. Occassionally the INS/gyro will glitch out briefly but not enough to break it so am certainly on the edge of things there. Hope you all have a fun Christmas...Gary

I knew an old Navy Captain who was a prior enlisted AT on F-14s and he complained about the INS sometimes failing during the CAT shot( bad shock mounts maybe?) and then reseating itself during the trap so they couldn't really troubleshoot it as a valid fault lol. I have no problem with the INS damage. Quit maneuvering the tomcat like youre gonna die unless you snap 10g, it'll bleed less and fly much better

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

Thankyou CommanderRabb, IronMike, Sirius for the help in understanding this issue. Implementing your advice has helped but I must say the INS/gyro still sits right on the edge of getting damage at high Gs. Occassionally the INS/gyro will glitch out briefly but not enough to break it so am certainly on the edge of things there. Hope you all have a fun Christmas...Gary

You're welcome. Indeed, you know your pushing it too hard when the screen blanks out temporarily that's for sure.:).

Modules - F-18, F-16, Spitfire, F-5, Supercarrier, F-14, A10-C, MiG-21, Huey

You have to learn how to fly smoothly. The plane does not like it if you pull abrupt movements, especially at high speeds. Once I got the feel of that I've almost never had a problem with ripping the wings off or broken INS again

THIS.

"Yank and bank" is a game thing.

Go get some real stick time in a real aircraft and you'll learn what smooth fast and hard looks like.

I've pulled +12 g in the Tomcat and everything has remained attached and functional.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."