New Cockpit Perspective

Rewis.C

New Cockpit Perspective

It’s ok for me too (Rift CV1). Just remember that a Hog pilot sits high relative to the HUD in real life. He is looking at the ground through the HUD. It’s not like the Hornet or other aircraft where you look straight ahead. Yes, I have to duck down a little if I need to look straight ahead through the HUD, but in a Hog I’m mostly concerned with what’s on the ground. I use the top edge of the HUD’s glass as my reference to where the horizon should be.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I like the new cockpit textures, but I despise the new seating position.

The default view is much to far from the instrument panel, and if I manually adjust the position then it just looks weird.

As others who are flying in 2D have mentioned the Hud view is messed up as well.

Bryan.

Am I the only one that thinks the new view point in the A-10 seems like a child in the seat and not an adult? It kinda seemed like that to me before but now it seems worse. I want to move my view point up and back but then I cant see the HUD.

Are you using VR? If so, play with “IPD” in game, DCS setting. It has nothing to do with actual IPD - and everything to do with cockpit scale. I have settled at 52 for the time being. I also typically drop the seat height all the way down (adjustable via momentary switch on the left wall of pit).

If you are using 2D, all I can say is: it seems the roles have been reversed as the A10C was always a compromise with VR before the update - and seemed to be good for flat screeners.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I personally always place my chin on chest and recenter the VR view in that orientation. It moves the virtual pilot head directly over the virtual pilots shoulders - and aligns it perfectly for me. Virtual shoulder representation is directly in line with my shoulder in real life - and all else views perfectly. Just my method, might not work for everyone.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

The new cockpit is great. I need to make a few centimeters camera movement backwards to get all aligned with my chair.

So not a biggie..

What I would question is just now those mirrors. As I did fly it an hour yesterday and couldn't make that where the mirrors really point. I would have thought those would be more concave so one can see better at rear.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Am I the only one that thinks the new view point in the A-10 seems like a child in the seat and not an adult? It kinda seemed like that to me before but now it seems worse. I want to move my view point up and back but then I cant see the HUD.

Hi,

Try to set IPD (in DCS Options menu vr NOT in your headset settings) to 56 or 57, default is 65 and i recall first time i flew in A-10C it was out ou scale, so, i find that IPD in DCS Options change the world scale. I thought it was same IPD from my headset options but they are different things.

Enjoy,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Guys, but you can adjust the default position to your liking - if you don't like it.

Also I would suggest to get rid of the old settings just in case by erasing the snapviews settings for A-10C. Other option is to pause the head-tracking and hitting Num-5 and then RAlt-Num-0 to save the new defaults.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I "feel" like I'm sitting a bit too low, but the HUD display is set a bit too high.

The horizon and gun sight fall too high in the HUD to allow me to raise the seat at all because they get completely cut off at the top if I do.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I "feel" like I'm sitting a bit too low, but the HUD display is set a bit too high.

Same here.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

The horizon and gun sight fall too high in the HUD to allow me to raise the seat at all because they get completely cut off at the top if I do.

Agreed. For instance, in startup when starting the BIT, you cant see the text without crouching down.

In 2D, I find it spot on. I don't have to touch zoom now, the FOV is like the one in the Viper and the world scale is ok now (no more fish-eye zoom to see the cockpit upper part)

After some more testing, all is good but the hud projection (not the frame) is way too big. With a smaller hud it would be just perfect to me.

I don’t get it, I can see from bottom to top. From current SPI to velocity vector... Bit tests are visible, call options in IFCC are visible. VR user.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

It ain’t that way with TrackIR. Pretty much useless.

Well to be fair, that was more what the previous version was for VR users (so it seems). Always a compromise to what was viewable on the HUD, with adjustment / movement needed to see different portions of the HUD. Bummer that is has impacted flat screen users, but I’m being selfish now when I say that, “I hope they don’t change a thing.”

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

Is the update automatic ? i dont see any link to download update.

The new cockpit is getting installed with the latest open beta update. Not available in the stable version, yet.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I am using head tracking and a monitor. Here is a few screen shots of my position and the HUD. I reset everything to default and turned off tracking to make sure i was not altering it unintentionally.

Here is a shot showing the pilots position.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h11z1vaf1ax657q/Screen_191222_191016.png?dl=0

This is the HUD default view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfgrfsj67a6svat/Screen_191222_191729.png?dl=0

This is my POV height compared to the seat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/orh4yjpjvvs41u1/Screen_191222_191037.png?dl=0

Though new texture is good, I dislike the new narrower frame and hud, perfer the old one. How do I reverse it to the old one but keep the DCS world new build update?

I cann't figure out why ED keep narrowing the HUD glass upon each update. Still missing the good feeling of seat position in a A10-A in FC2. You can still see the full info on HUD while sit back, beacause the hud is wider and larger.

01.jpg

Edited by Lao Fei Mao