Where to install Liveries

irfanahmed1979

I tried installing liveries for the Harrier and also the F-86 like I used to (DCSInstallfolder\Mods\Aircraft\Aircraftname\Liveries) but they don't seem to be working.

I then created a liveries folder in the Saved Games\DCS and inside that I made an F-86 folder. I copied the PAF bare metal weathered v2.0 livery to the F-86 folder but again in the mission editor when I select Pakistan the Sabre reverts to the default livery. However the stock USAF liveries seem to be working.

Is there something missing here or will I have to make a new mission altogether to get these to work.

P.S. The Harrier liveries package is the Fictional UK liveries v2.1: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300606/

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

• ED Team

Hi

Installing in the DCS root folder can create problems.

Create a liveries folder in your saved games location, added a picture below to assist.

CaptureLIVERIES.PNG.c6dd69f61f4c644723aaede986bd0195.PNG

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Do I need to create specific country folders too?

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

No, no need for country specific sub folders. As in Newy’s screenshot above, just ensure that the new skins go in the correct aircraft type folder.

Edited by garyscott
Spelling is atrcouus . . . Atrescii . . . BAD!!

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Doesn't work with" F-86" or "f-86".

With the AV8BNA, I can see the options for the skins but choosing the option doesn't change the preview.

I tried installing liveries for the Harrier and also the F-86 like I used to (DCSInstallfolder\Mods\Aircraft\Aircraftname\Liveries) but they don't seem to be working.

Nowadays, the Liveries are installed at \Saved Games\ ... for example, my harrier liveries are here:

Ap1RPHW.jpg

For the F-86 it is similar, but substitute AV8BNA with "f-86f sabre"

Is there something missing here or will I have to make a new mission altogether to get these to work.

Assuming your Saber livery folder has the correct name and location, the only thing that may be causing this problem is that the livery you are using may be country specific. If you examine a livery, for example:

gTT4ibi.jpg

you will see that they always have a description.lua file .. this file, beside describing how the graphics files are placed on the model, include a "countries" line, like this:

MOEb7Gq.jpg

This means that this particular livery is only shown if your aircraft belongs to the country with code UK. If the Harrier's country is set to Pakistan, then the Mission Editor wont show the livery.

You have two possible fixes .. one is to edit the description.lua file (use Notepad++ for this) and add the country code to the list, for example to add Pakistan, the line would read like this:

countries = {"UK", "PAK"}

The other fix is to simply delete the "countries" line, this would make the livery available to all countries. I hate this alternative, because then on the Mission Editor I have for example a british Harrier, yet the Mission Editor shows on the liveries list countries like Spain and USA, making the list unnecesarily long:

JU9fHyv.jpg

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Ok, they're working now. Thanks

Ok, they're working now. Thanks

:thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 years later...

What is the definite and correct location for aircraft liveries? Also for ship mods, helicopters and ground vehicles etc?

There is a livery folder inside of each aircraft mod file, example: Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Mods/tech/VSN_A6A/Liveries

Other mods have Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Bazar/Liveries/mod name

Other mods Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries/mod name

It is quite confusing. I have many liveries that work and some that don't, I can't tell which one is the correct way.

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

generally speaking everything that is not a standard file should go in the Saved Games. that way updates will not remove. though not all seem to work for whatever reason. the below example is where i put liveries.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

15 hours ago, Ghostrider142 said:

What is the definite and correct location for aircraft liveries? Also for ship mods, helicopters and ground vehicles etc?

I assume that you mean "custom liveries", and not the official liveries that are a part of the standard DCS and its official & third party aircrafts. The latter are already in place, within the /Program files/Eagle dynamics/DCS World/ path and you should not mess with them.

All the custom liveries should be installed at /Saved Games/DCS or DCS.openbeta/Liveries  ... within it, there should be one folder for each aircraft, ship or ground vehicle that you have custom liveries for. The name of that folder is special and sometimes it can be hard to determine .. if in doubt, ask here on the Forum what name uses a certain aircraft, ship or vehicle ... a partial list is this:

rTiJip4.jpg

There is a livery folder inside of each aircraft mod file, example: Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Mods/tech/VSN_A6A/Liveries

Those are the standard "official" liveries that an aircraft includes, usually they go into /Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Mod/name of aircraft/Liveries/ ... but the sample you cite is not an official aircraft, but a User Modded aircraft and so it goes onto /Saved Games/

Other mods have Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Bazar/Liveries/mod name

Never seen that one ... perhaps you are confusing it with /Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Bazar/Liveries/aircraft or vehicle name/ ? That's the location of the liveries of AI units of DCS.

It is quite confusing. I have many liveries that work and some that don't, I can't tell which one is the correct way.

I hope the above has cleared up some of that confusion. Cheers. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I reorderd my folders to match what you two have and now I have all my custom liveries available! Thanks you both! 

This was one of those problems that I kept ignoring because I had other pressing issues haha, but now it's solved. Hope this helps others who have the same issue.

• Like 4

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung