TMS right 2x = "PTR" ?

TOViper

Hi folks,

during usage of the TGP I accidently pressed TMS right two times within a second.

This brings up the "PTR" indication in the window.

In the manual on page 38 there is no description for pressing TMS right two times ...

What does it do and what is it intended for?

Thanks

TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Hi folks,

during usage of the TGP I accidently pressed TMS right two times within a second.

This brings up the "PTR" indication in the window.

In the manual on page 38 there is no description for pressing TMS right two times ...

What does it do and what is it intended for?

Thanks

TOViper

IR Pointer. Visible through NVGs for marking purposes. Did you try to use NVGs with it on?

IR Pointer. Visible through NVGs for marking purposes. Did you try to use NVGs with it on?

Negative, this is why I most probably notice any difference outside :)

Should the IR pointer work in the current OpenBeta?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Yes, it works.

ptr.thumb.jpg.ab22856e34224680af1e76d1c54c435e.jpg

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Maybe it goes from "area" to "Point" track.

Normally "point" track is selected by pressing TMS Forward short, and "Area" track is selcted by pressing TMS Right short.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

• 1 year later...
  • TOViper changed the title to TMS right 2x = "PTR" ?

I'm not sure if our TGP is supposed to have the NV pointer or not. In some TGP the PTR option is selected on OSB2 which is where we have the AUTO/MAN option currently. In this later TGP 2x TMS right is the hands on shortcut to cycle through the three options: designator -> pointer -> both.

Also in this later TGP the TMS left x2 cycles between IR and TV for TGP. TMS left x1 is for cycling between IR BHOT and IR WHOT. In DCS the cycle is a simple IR B -> IR W -> TV without the double tap.

The TGP is capable of producing up to three laser wavelengths: 1.54 micrometer training designator, 1.06 micrometer combat designator, and ~900 nanometer NV pointer. The training/combat designator are for weapon or LSS designations and are invisible when viewed through NVGs. The training wavelength is eye safe at a closer range and is used  with special practice LGB rounds. The training/combat selection is cycled on the laser DED page. The NV pointer works regardless of the laser arm switch and produces alone or simultaneously with the designator laser a visible laser beam when viewed through NVGs. It's good for pointing things out to others at night.

• Like 5

On 12/6/2021 at 1:27 AM, Frederf said:

I'm not sure if our TGP is supposed to have the NV pointer or not.

Well, it's the same Lightening that we have on the Hornet and the Hog, where we can use the pointer, so the pod should have it...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 8 months later...

That's normal. These TGPs have three laser wavelengths: a training designator, a combat designator, and a night vision pointer. The designator has to be switched (mutually exclusive) but the pod can emit the designator, pointer, or both according to settings.

Night vision pointers are around 900nm wavelength so they show up in night vision. The designators are ~1060 or ~1540nm so they don't.

• Thanks 1

No, training laser is an eye-safe variant of the laser designator. The IR pointer is independent of the training/combat laser designator. It's toggled with the TMS right (you can press it once for both, and twice for pointer only), and should already be in.

This feature is invaluable when you're buddy lasing at night for aircraft that don't have an LST, such as Mirage 2000 or the F-5 (or any other aircraft that decided to carry a bomb where the TGP would normally be). Basically, the shooter makes a visual drop on your pointer, and then the bomb will guide. I think the pointer should be harder to overheat, so if you're pointing out targets for an aircraft with dumb bombs or rockets, you can keep it on for longer.

Edited by Dragon1-1

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

No, training laser is an eye-safe variant of the laser designator. The IR pointer is independent of the training/combat laser designator. It's toggled with the TMS right (you can press it once for both, and twice for pointer only), and should already be in.

This feature is invaluable when you're buddy lasing at night for aircraft that don't have an LST, such as Mirage 2000 or the F-5 (or any other aircraft that decided to carry a bomb where the TGP would normally be). Basically, the shooter makes a visual drop on your pointer, and then the bomb will guide. I think the pointer should be harder to overheat, so if you're pointing out targets for an aircraft with dumb bombs or rockets, you can keep it on for longer.

I dont see the ir laser.

1 minute ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

Isn't the IR Pointer no longer available in DCS F-16 TGP (see thread below). I'll just be in Area track with TMS Right x 2.

aahhh that could be why, thx!!

Maybe.

Fact is, that in the current Litening targeting pod modeled for the bl.52 with OB2.7.16.28157 the IR-pointer is still not available. :no_sad:

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

ED have just used LANTIRN pod symbology and control logic and overlaid it on top of their LITENING pod optics implementation. This is the reason why no PTR option currently exits. LANTIRN had no PTR mode. 

I imagine they couldn’t find a good allowable reference for LITENING symbology and logic. 

• Like 2