How necessary is Gsync, or >60Hz for flight simulation?

Shopping for a best value 32" monitor or up to 43" TV (space limitation).

Any comments on Gsync or >60hz? I'd think both are icing on the cake and that the cake gets me 95% there... Keep in mind I'm comgin from a 5 year old Acer 23.5" monitor...

Leaning towards a 40-43" TV...

4770K with a 1080Ti

Thinking 2560 x 1440 is best That 4K may be too much but then again I want future proofing and I'd think I can downscale though I've been so out of touch on Monitor HW, I'm not sure what is best value for flight simulation. I'd like to spend no more than $600... <$400 even better... :)

I got my AOC CQ32G1 for around 365$. 31.5" 144Hz 1440p VA Freesync. Best value for this specs in my country.

I specifically shoped for 144Hz after experiencing it on someone else's computer. It's just so much smoother. You can't unsee it. After that my old 60Hz felt like a stop motion cartoon. Also wanted Freesync since I can easily see screen tearing but some people don't seem to be bothered by it.

For me resolution was secondary and I was on the fence between 1080p and 1440p. With 4k monitor you might need to downscale to run max settings even with 1080Ti (not sure about this, maybe someone can confirm).

Edited by HankCzinaski

RunningTrackIr ? Then you want 60 or 120hz , locked and with a little overhead to keep it there .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It really boils down to a quality thing. Two identical cars, but one of them has leather seats, custom radio, and all the trim options. Both arrive at the destination at same time, but one is more comfortable than the other.

High refresh rates result in a more pleasing experience provided you can push the necessary framerate. Gsync/Freesync provide the same service as Vsync (eliminating screen tear), only optimised for higher framerates and higher refresh rates.

Some people say you can't tell the difference, these people are wrong. The difference between 60 and 120hz is not as drastic as say 20-30 vs 60, but it is VERY noticeable and much smoother. Whether or not that matters is up to you.

I personally run 3440x1440p120hz w/Gsync. It makes everything amoother and reduces jitter and skipping, which is very annoying to me.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I would not buy a screen that neither has Gsync nor Freesync(2) if you can afford it.

The price you can pay will define the size you can have.

And I 2nd zhukov032186 that there is a difference, tho 60fps is far from unplayable, you do see and feel a difference. Imho, hovering a Heli is where you recognize the BIG change. The more frames you have the more precise, aka smaller increments, you can put in to do what you need to do to hover the beast. I have started with 25-35 fps on a Mac in 2012 and hovering was a totally different thing vs. 60, 90 or 120+.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks guys so much for the comments. They are helpful but beg some additional questions in my mind...

I do plan on continued use of TIR and NOT seeing screen tearing is important to me. But I'm not sure I understand. If I cannot reach 120 FPS consistently, will I have TIR-related screen tearing? What if I can't reach 120 FPS (or 144 on a 144Hz monitor, etc...) Does having Gsync on at under the monitors refresh rate help?

In other words, does having a Gsync monitor ensure that at any FPS (87, 94, 117, etc...) that the screen tearing will not be there?

Or, taking another view of this... Is it to say that if I settle on a non-Gsync solution, I need to be sure I can drive 120 fps if I turn on Vsync on a 120 Hz monitor?

I think having answers to these 2 specific answers will help me understand what I should do.

Also, I think I'll probably end up buying a 4K monitor and down sample as future proofing... I'm assuming that the image will still be fine.

I have a Gsync gaming monitor and when I was playing with TIR with Gsync enabled I did not notice any screen tearing. What I did notice was stuttering and choppy animation at 87 and 94 fps. At 117+ it wasn't really noticeable. Unfortunately, Gsync and Freesync don't work with TIR as the middleman. The framerate of your monitor and GPU won't match precisely and will have frametime issues. You can see it on a graph in MSI Afterburner to make sure your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. If you pause TIR and pan your view with the mouse, Gsync works butter smooth.

When I played on a 4K 60Hz TV with Vsync it was very obvious if I couldn't maintain 60 fps. 58 or 59 fps would look choppy. But still no tearing.

When you are flying in single player at high altitude or over the ocean you can maintain 120fps with a decent rig, but that's hard to do when flying low over lots of trees or over cities with lots of objects and shadows to render without having to sacrifice eye candy.

Now to make it even more confusing. My Samsung 4K could do a neat trick and interpolate frames to kick up 60 fps to 120 fps with the TV's on board ASIC GPU, which helped to smooth out TIR and animation in general. But at the time the HDMI 2.0b standard could only push 4K60 through the connector. I think this might have recently changed with a firmware upgrade but I have not tried yet.

If you go with the TV make sure it has HDMI 2.1 if you want to be future proofed. Those cables and connectors can push 10K at 8 bit RGB 4:4:4 chroma color depth.