[FIXED] HUD: A picture is worth a thousand words?

randomTOTEN

• ED Team
Yeah on the sixteenth page of a thread about a 2D problem.

In his defence, I am not sure it was clear this was only a 2D issue, which is why I changed the title slightly, in the hopes we don't have any more confusion or fighting.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Yeah on the sixteenth page of a thread about a 2D problem.

Thanks for confirming that this IS an issue and will be adjusted.

I'll try to capture a couple of screenshots later that will elaborate what I was talking about.

Cheers,

Bonzo :pilotfly:

I had the exact same problem with the pit before vr in 2d. The only solution was to go back to Ricardos a10 worn pit mod, but that doesn't solves the hud problem really well.

The a10 is a blast in vr.

Maybe it's time for vr in the hog.

I have a Lenovo explorer headset only for 100 bugs and it works awesome ????

:matrix: =SPEED IS LIFE=:matrix:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/speed-is-life.html

Consolidating my helpful posts into one post.

My original post on the subject:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4151776&postcount=23

I’m holding off judgement until the first weekend of January. I then plan to ask multiple pilots at the 76th Ops Desk Saturday morning when I meet with them to discuss the flying day their opinion on the HUD in DCS with pictures. personally I don’t recall having any issue seeing info in the HUD while performing Ops Checks over my career but I’ve also been in Production now for 5 years (meaning I run the flightline now).

Then on Sunday I’m flying the A-10C simulator at Moody AFB, this will be my second time flying this simulator and I know for a fact that has zero issues seeing the entire HUD display. This also leads me to believe that if truly truncated in the real jet they would have the same in the simulator.

Lastly the below picture Wags posted is not from the pilots eye view. That view would be looking up slightly from the level of my chest when I sit in the cockpit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=223684&d=1577217531

This one is closer but IMO is a little higher than eye level.

attachment.php?attachmentid=223683&d=1577217531

The next two posts were talking to pilots in my unit that have over 7000 hours flying an A-10.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4162027&postcount=49

Just got done talking to two different 76th pilots on the spot after jets landed down here at Moody AFB. Both said in the air all the data is visible on the HUD that only on the ground do you have to lower your head to see items at the top.

I’m flying the real world sim our pilots train on here at Moody tomorrow morning so more to follow.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4163917&postcount=54

Spent almost two hours flying the simulator at Moody AFB yesterday with three pilots giving me tips on various weapon delivery methods. To validate what I was told the previous day I also asked all of them if the view of the HUD in the sim is accurate to the actual jet and they said it is. I had no issue viewing all the displayed data.

So take it how you want but based on the five 76 Fighter Squadron pilots I asked over my drill weekend what we have in DCS (2d primarily but VR to an extent) is not correct.

And lastly my comment about VR being "close" to correct but not 100% accurate.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4167963&postcount=90

That’s actually close to being correct. You have to move your head down to see all that data on startup.

The part in VR that isn’t correct is when you're airborne and the TVV suddenly is out of view and you have to move your head down to see it or move the seat down again.

Edited by Snoopy

I hope this change works out.

I’ve come back to DCSW after a few years, of driving sims and bought a TM Warthog intending to get back into the A10C initially. With TIR I’m finding the A10C hud almost unusable, I don’t remember having any problem a few years ago with both the A10A and A10C. As others have said somehow the font seems too small to read but the overall page feels too large for the projection glass.

Maybe this is one area where “easy read” and “realistic” options are in order? Anyway I

At least ED are working on this it seems. Watching this space...

• 1 month later...

@NineLine: any indication when this will be fixed? I would be happy if I could just go back to the old cockpit!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I'll be happy too when this is fixed, and the earlier the better!

In normal play, you have to move your head around to see everything from the HUD display. It's a pain but still bearable.

However, when you want to change options in the IFFCC, it's impossible because the top lines are truncated... for example, I'm currently unable to change the consent release options.

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

As I said guys, an adjustment is planned, let's see where we are at after this.

It seems, that we will have to wait a little more?

jcyj8ea6.png

Still you can see only the half of the pipper...

I guess, we won't have a solution untill the new A10C II :cry:

Edited by felixx75

It's sad, but we have to arrange with the bunch of bugs (and sadly this doesn't only apply to the planes in EA state). Flyin' the A-10C makes no fun since month due to this bug.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

I fly in VR and experienced in all of the VR headsets I tried (HP Reverb, Oculus Rift, Index, Oculus Rift S) the same issue that I cannot see the full HUD symbology at any given moment - neither on the ground nor in the air with the default view point. I have to move my viewpoint waaaay down and waaay forward in order to see the full HUD. At this time I basically bump my nose at the UFC and I sit so low that I am unable to do a proper 30DB (or steeper) delivery as the targets sitting on the rail would give me a 20° dive angle reference.

The initial viewpoint position is more or less properly aligned (top of the HUD frame as thin as possible, nuts on right side aligned) and this is also perfect for the proper dive angle referencing (target on the rail for 45DB), so I am reluctant to change my viewpoint.

This however results in me only seeing the lower half of the HUD symbology and only half of the text on the left and right side at that. It requires me to constantly move not only my head but also my full upper body around quite extensively in order to see all the HUD symbology and numbers. After tip in, I have to lean forward and duck my head down to do a proper attack.

In my opinion, the HUD projection is way too large so that it cannot fit into the HUD projection frame properly. I would also like to have this issue resolved - not only for 2D, but also for VR players.

• 2 weeks later...

ED Team, is there any eta on when we might get a fix for this ?

I feel the A10C module should receive better support for this type of issue. I realize the solution might not be trivial but its been several months with no updates.

It has been acknowledged and is in a queue, but I suggest you investigate a work arounds until it is. If you have trackir it’s not too hard to look around to see the extreme edges. Certainly not ideal, but usable. Adjust seat hight helps too.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

• 2 months later...

I see Snoopy is talking to real pilots at Moody and I see Wag's it is talking to "pilots" of an unknown origin. Diametrically opposed answers as to whether a pilot has to move their head in order to see the entirety of the HUD. At this point I have to go with Snoopy. When you adjust so that the top cross bar is as thin as can be, and then move your eye point back to where you can see the idiot lights below the fire handles, I lose information on all four side of the HUD. No pilot will cover their idiot lights. They are just to important when they do go off.

I think any acft designer will tell you that you have to start the process of designing a cockpit from the pilots eyes. They have to be able to see ALL of the information to make the critical life and death decisions. After all, isn't that what we pay them to do? As far as bobbing a weaving to see...have you ever heard of vertigo? I've got 15K hours in heavy's and on occasion I've experienced vertigo, especially when flying actual IFR. It's not as bad in a heavy as in a fighter but it's still there.

I think ED has to go back in and adjust every instrument and display from the pilots eye point. Helmet on the chute pack and all idiot lights visible. Then we can spend 18 pages of complaining about this and that and ED can stay out of it because it will be our personal setup that's the problem at that point.

Edited by RackMonkey
Bad grammer

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

• 2 weeks later...

No Buzz. The 2D hud is slightly larger than it should be, so to see the extreme edges of the hud (which often have critical info), you need to offset your view a little. If you are a track ir user and have all six acis bound properly, it’s only a minor inconvenience as you can move your head to do so. Without trackir its a more significant challenge.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

I hope this issue will get fixed at all (due to the upcoming A-10C Warthog II)... it makes no fun to fly the Hog under the current conditions.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

I hope this issue will get fixed at all (due to the upcoming A-10C Warthog II)... it makes no fun to fly the Hog under the current conditions.

Is this a normal reply cadence with these developers? I am new to DCS (first time back in military flight sims since Falcon 4 SP4 lol), and I was looking at picking up this as my first module.

Seeing this glaringly obvious problem sit idle for 6 months without even a simple hotfix to hold owners over makes me a little concerned...

Edited by jstnj

The original module yes but not the updated cockpit which lead to the issue.

We could call that an upgrade patch. We got that back in Dec. How many fixes has the Hornet got since then?

What I find a bit confusing is they have beta testers that test before it's released on OB. They seem to miss a lot of problems or does ED decide to release problems on purpose?

I've done a lot of beta testing on race sims. We never release anything until it's right.

Buzz

We could call that an upgrade patch. We got that back in Dec. How many fixes has the Hornet got since then?

What I find a bit confusing is they have beta testers that test before it's released on OB. They seem to miss a lot of problems or does ED decide to release problems on purpose?

I've done a lot of beta testing on race sims. We never release anything until it's right.

Not gonna argue, just clarifying the bug hasn’t been there for 8 years.