NEW DCS commonality?

Willie Nelson

I know that it’s early days but given that there is so much currently being released in DCS 2.5 what is the likelihood that current aircraft, maps and modules will be useable in the next version of DCS, whatever that may look like?

Not expecting a lot of detail just a vague indication, I’ve spent a lot of money on equipment and software to get to a happy place with 2.5 but I’m also pretty excited to see what the next iteration will eventually look like and whether or not we’ll have to start all over.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Can you provide an example of what you're meaning? Why wouldn't the current products work on a new version of DCS?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Can you provide an example of what you're meaning? Why wouldn't the current products work on a new version of DCS?

He's worried about engine changes causing products to become dead and abandoned, ala VEAO. OP, they are redoing cockpits, models, and systems for the oldest aircraft. Obviously, they would not go to that trouble if it was anticipated they would stop working or be discontinued anytime soon. It's not a concern for the near future.

That said, every product has a shelf life and eventually DCS will be dropped, just like every game, operating system, or product EVER MADE. So, asking if it will happen is a bit ridiculous. Of course it will. Will it happen soon? No, probably not as mentioned in the first paragraph.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I guess I’m also wondering if the new engine will use the same maps. I haven’t used any other version of DCS in the past so I’m not sure what I might expect to change.

I know that there have been discussions about VR working better on the new API. Just wondering how it might look different. Thanks.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

• ED Team

Hi

To avoid such issues in the future, all future 3rd party agreements are now required to make the game files available in case they are no longer able to support their product.

Modules already purchased will be available for future updates.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I know that it’s early days but given that there is so much currently being released in DCS 2.5 what is the likelihood that current aircraft, maps and modules will be useable in the next version of DCS, whatever that may look like?

Not expecting a lot of detail just a vague indication, I’ve spent a lot of money on equipment and software to get to a happy place with 2.5 but I’m also pretty excited to see what the next iteration will eventually look like and whether or not we’ll have to start all over.

Take acount withe DCS has move in the pass by some versions (1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5) all versions has "move" all modules (except the defunt VEAO) to the next version. Expected see them into DCS on a 3.0+.

Thanks very much. Another supplemental question if I may: Is there plans to integrate something like either Captoglove or Leap Motion into the next iteration of DCS?

• ED Team

Hi

Capto glove is already being integrated, please check your special options tab.

Other hand devices may also work, if they are based on controllers.

Thanks

Screen_191224_073355.thumb.jpg.86077e87cd32c95783f81484c30a5681.jpg

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Because the "continuity plan" that BIGNEWY mentions ED placed,I have no worries about modules compatibility in future.

And what comes to new terrain engine under construction, new weather engine, new graphics engine etc... I wouldn't be so worried, because there are such systems to be implemented like Vulcan that has good potential to open a lot more resources available for DCS.

Anyways, time will go and next generation 3D cards becomes cheaper etc. But what is most problematic at this moment is when players but those most expensive VR headset that requires more than top cards (on the time 2080ti) can't handle, it is just their personal decision. That is one reason why I recommend Rift S as you get 80-90% of the graphics, somewhat narrower field of view, but far better performance and lower hardware requirements. And cheaper investment to VR overall.

It is same thing with HOTAS. One might get a good 60-90€ set, or invest 500-1000€ to HOTAS and it is everyone's own decision what level of immersion and playability they want.

I once built for myself a semi-simpit, but since VR I don't see anymore any reasons to do so. From my point of view such build is waste of time and money, as I would need to make multiple and eventually not get anywhere near same immersion as in VR. So it is cheaper to invest to VR than simpit.

What is most expensive part of DCS is time. The time it takes to study, learn, train, and have fun.

2500 hours in few years and one can think what could they have learned in that time? Few new languages, a couple new skills, a healthier lifestyle, dating more people, have a another job and get more money etc etc...

But money can't get that feeling when you are hyped to next features, next possibilities etc in DCS. I am personally hyped for two modules, MiG-23MLA (aircraft that I previously thought was ugly etc, until in couple years mind changed and now it is far more beautiful than anything from West) and Mi-24P (although I still believe that V or VP would have been better choise). And other things that I really wait after new weather system is Combined Arms development to serious RTS mode, where you command troops with real kind commands like designate defense positions, engagement directions and ranges and rules, routes to save movement, realistic communication delays, inaccurate troops status information and positions etc etc.

We need to understand that not everyone can put 500-1500€ to hardware every few years to keep things running nicely and well, but we can't either expect people to use 10 years old computer to get all running perfectly.

I have higher thrust to ED these days than I had 5 years ago, because DCS World had grown larger than one company in these years. Meaning ED has done lots of good things in management to get other studios jump in, and hopefully everyone can keep business running for next decade (or two) without problems.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Other hand devices may also work, if they are based on controllers.

Just to raise opinion that ED should officially support Leap Motion, there is the good SDK and lots of samples that ED could have possibility make it working in few weeks.

And it would at once make VR something crazy immersive...

Just my 2 cents...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Point control is your friend

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861

Point control is great. And it works right now today with at least 200 users.

Leap motion has some mod support right now but im not sure how well it works.

Capto glove has some nice company vids. But no one that actually bought a set has gotten it to work with DCS which is a huge red flag for me.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I was looking at those glove thingies, still seems a bit sketchy to me, but I dunno.

I really want them to work as advertised but the fact more than one user has reported they dont work and the fact 0 users have reported sucess is a major red flag for me. Shiny dev vids are one thing, a working product is another.

I am a very happy pointctrl user in the meantime, my only regret there is that I wasnt #1 on the list.

The guy messing with leap motion posted a few vids, but from what i can tell its hard to get working and has some issues.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 weeks later...