DCS : Strait of Taiwan

tugais

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i wonder if geo political concerns preclude ED from offering different product portfolios to different customer regions. I can't imagine this map or the spratleys would be welcome in some sectors.... perhaps it would just not be offered in the server list or DCS store depending on geography?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

i wonder if geo political concerns preclude ED from offering different product portfolios to different customer regions. I can't imagine this map or the spratleys would be welcome in some sectors.... perhaps it would just not be offered in the server list or DCS store depending on geography?

Well, they said in the past they could not offer the original Crimean region because of politics. I guess this kind of restriction would apply to others markets they value or try to get into.

3rd Wing | 55th Black Alligators * BA-33

Εις ανηρ ουδεις ανηρ

i guess thats why i am wondering whether they could just restrict product access in the store/server lists based on geography - i.e. they could produce Crimea but it could not be bought or played on in the Russian region... they could produce Taiwan but it could not be purchased/installed in the Chinese market. if China doesnt buy taiwan who cares... unless of course they would lose 100% of DCS access to the market with the offering in external markets. At which point any hope of creating maps that are inconsistent with foreign sensitivities would be moot.:censored::dunno: If i am a betting man then I would venture to guess Taiwan/Spratleys/Tibet etc will never happen. Just too much at stake business wise. The world is a big place and I'm happy flying the sim anywhere...

• Like 1

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 03:50, Tank50us said:

Chiamato il PRC, vorrebbero parlare con il tacchino per vedere se questa mappa è stata sviluppata.

Anche se sarebbe una bella mappa da avere, è una pessima, pessima idea creare questa mappa.

no it's not a bad idea, but it would introduce the corresponding forces of CHINA, JAPAN, and even a small slice of the PHILIPPINES into the scenario.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Xilon_x said:

no it's not a bad idea, but it would introduce the corresponding forces of CHINA, JAPAN, and even a small slice of the PHILIPPINES into the scenario.

You don't seem to understand... The Chinese Government, who've vowed to take Tiawan back by force, would love to have a map such as this specifically so they can learn how to defeat Tiawans air forces with minimal casualties. As I've said before on other subjects: Cities change, terrain doesn't. You would effectively be giving one of the most evil empires on the planet the key to defeating their adversary. Trust me, it's an extremely bad idea. Unless you want a real war were the missiles that are flying aren't pixels on a screen, they're really fixed with HighEx, and they will be killing real people.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

Sembra che tu non capisca... Il governo cinese, che ha promesso di riprendere Tiawan con la forza , vorrebbe avere una mappa come questa in modo specifico per imparare a sconfiggere le forze aeree di Tiawan con perdite minime. Come ho detto prima su altri argomenti: le città cambiano, il terreno no . Daresti effettivamente a uno degli imperi più malvagi del pianeta la chiave per sconfiggere il loro avversario. Credimi, è una pessima idea. A meno che tu non voglia una vera guerra, i missili che stanno volando non sono pixel su uno schermo, sono davvero risolti con HighEx e uccideranno persone reali.

where you see those yellow dotted lines there are the SENKAKU islands which are of Japanese property, China would like to claim them.

I’d love a Taiwan map! A few concerns though

Taiwan is big enough to fit in DCS map sizes, but is one of the most urbanized places on the planet.

we probably could use more Chinese assets. Deka is working on it but I expect we’re still a few years too early.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:35 PM, Tank50us said:

You don't seem to understand... The Chinese Government, who've vowed to take Tiawan back by force, would love to have a map such as this specifically so they can learn how to defeat Tiawans air forces with minimal casualties. As I've said before on other subjects: Cities change, terrain doesn't. You would effectively be giving one of the most evil empires on the planet the key to defeating their adversary. Trust me, it's an extremely bad idea. Unless you want a real war were the missiles that are flying aren't pixels on a screen, they're really fixed with HighEx, and they will be killing real people.

That should not be concerned.

Trust me, PRC doesn't need a commercial flightsim to obtain those information. They can build it by themselves.

And we (i.e Taiwan) have theirs too.

Regarding the case of Taiwan strait map, I think it's worth some market research, as long as they found a way to guarantee that CCP won't butthurt over it, it will be very popular.

This is the place that future war will be fought after all.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, gordenjay said:

That should not be concerned.

Trust me, PRC doesn't need a commercial flightsim to obtain those information. They can build it by themselves.

And we (i.e Taiwan) have theirs too.

I was expecting this argument. Sure, they CAN make their own, and likely will. But why make it easy for them? Why do that work for them? The $50 it costs to buy the map is chump change compared to the millions of dollars they'd have to spend to make it all themselves.

1 hour ago, Tank50us said:

I was expecting this argument. Sure, they CAN make their own, and likely will. But why make it easy for them? Why do that work for them? The $50 it costs to buy the map is chump change compared to the millions of dollars they'd have to spend to make it all themselves.

I am sorry in a first place to mention this as I know it's against the rules but it's neccessary to prove a point.

Let's say if they need terrain data which is "so hard to obtain", what stops them from firing up certain GA flight sim and study the terrain? That makes no sense. If a military relies on commercial software to base its military strategies on, I'd say it's doomed from the beginning.

• Like 6

Just another PoV: if ED would make this map, they would have to take the risk of alienating the PRC crowd (aka "hurting the feelings of Chinese people"), which could be a big DCS customer. If you keep track of recent Hollywood news, you  will know what I am talking about.

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, VFGiPJP said:

Just another PoV: if ED would make this map, they would have to take the risk of alienating the PRC crowd (aka "hurting the feelings of Chinese people"), which could be a big DCS customer. If you keep track of recent Hollywood news, you  will know what I am talking about.

And not just them, remember that a certain search engine receives a lot of money from that part of the world as well, which will make it harder to find DCS content, or even harder for new players to learn about the game as its subsidiary starts nuking DCS related content or hiding it.

On 6/11/2021 at 4:35 PM, Tank50us said:

I seriously doubt the PRC are going to use a consumer video game to plan whatever they want to plan, especially when there's already a myriad of software that depicts the areas, even in 3D, as well as their own existing reconnaissance assets.

The main issue is more the PRC getting all uppity about including the ROC as their own independent nation.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

You seriously don't think they have that data already?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I am sorry in a first place to mention this as I know it's against the rules but it's neccessary to prove a point.

Let's say if they need terrain data which is "so hard to obtain", what stops them from firing up certain GA flight sim and study the terrain? That makes no sense. If a military relies on commercial software to base its military strategies on, I'd say it's doomed from the beginning.
Spot on!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The problem would be PRC throwing a tantrum if Taiwan is depicted as a "free" country instead of a rebel province...

And yeah nobody would give a dam,  except that they are a Huge market and you really don´t want to get banned...;)

• Like 2

Yeah, it is not about any technical issue.  The PRC "racial feeling" is very easy to get "hurt", you know. 😛 FC-1, F-16, J-11, J-20, M2K, P-3, etc, are all going to shine on this map.

I think a Korean map would be a more likely scenario.

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

it is only a simulated game and such a map would not trigger any reaction from the Chinese or even the counterparts.
on the contrary, I think the Chinese community would be happy to play in a simulated map of their Chinese territory, and their counterparts would also be happy.
If you think a nation could get offended and have negative reactions at this point no DCS map would be possible to design.
Korea could also be offended by seeing its North Korean counterpart unleash an invasion.

• Like 2