DCS : Strait of Taiwan

tugais

4 hours ago, tugais said:

In the very first post of this topic you'll find a map with blue markers on it. These markers are the airfields from the PLAAF and the ROCAF.

well that makes me feel just a little more stupid, i thought they were city markers... ty

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this

• 2 weeks later...

So Command has Taiwan and the rest of the world. The majority of scenarios being made in steam workshop are Taiwan- China scenarios.

Made by Chinese players - I assume as I can't read the scenario descriptions. Just the Titles.

The thought of a Chinese -Taiwan war is frightening, as are the other hotspots right now, but that's why we play.

Like watching a scary movie. We don't want it to actually happen. We want to see if we can simulate what would happen.

I doubt the governments care what we do.

• Like 1

Again, it is not about the governments;. As many have pointed out already, it is about the customers, some of which, their "feelings" could be hurt if the map turned out to be something they did not like. And I am talking about both sides. Allow me, this translates this to bad business and it is something nobody gains out of it, except may be map to play with. It is just like porting the old Flanker 2.0 map here to the DCS.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• ED Team

threads merged. 

We have no plans for a Taiwan terrain. 

Please ensure you keep the topic away from real world politics. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

Again, it is not about the governments;. As many have pointed out already, it is about the customers, some of which, their "feelings" could be hurt if the map turned out to be something they did not like. And I am talking about both sides. Allow me, this translates this to bad business and it is something nobody gains out of it, except may be map to play with. It is just like porting the old Flanker 2.0 map here to the DCS.

I hear what you're saying but that could translate to any conflict. Past or future. These weapons kill people IRL.

Anyway , as Bignewy said, we are getting close to political discussions  so I'm bowing out of this one.

I don't want to get politics either. But this area is too sensitive and here we are.

Edit:

Let me rephrase: there will be very significant portion of DCS players who will be offended by this map, when it is done in modern setting, no matter how it is put. I personally am very aware of how these people do react but I am no fan of either side. I would see this map causeing trouble as much as the Flanker 2.0 map, and the Korea map. The thing is: is it worthwhile? Not that I do not want these maps but I love ED more, fair enough? I see no sense talking about recreating battles of the past with the possibility of generating unease, take a good look at GR's re-creations, they are fun to me.

I dunno but I cannot see this map done as payware. If anyone good enough to make a free mod out of this, it would be great, and let's keep an open mind to see what would happen.

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 7/26/2021 at 4:53 PM, High_Flyer said:

Just requires careful marketing. It can be implied in descriptions and marketing that Taiwan is a part of China/is a rebel province. Map labeling can be modified so instead of “Taipei” it’s “Chinese Taipei” (Taiwan competes in the Olympics as Chinese Taipei to appease China). The faction will be titled as “ROCAF” to distinguish between a rebel government on the Island of Taiwan vs Taiwan being its own country. This should be enough to sastify the Chinese government, after all its a video game.

Eagle Dynamics is also not risking any political statement doing this. Air Canada got pressured by the PRC into relabeling their flights to Taipei from “Taipei, Taiwan” to “Taipei, Taiwan, China”. It’s pretty widely accepted by the world that Taiwan is a touchy topic and certain phrases must be used. In reality countries and people know Taiwan is de facto independent and not some rebel province. The fact that major world countries accept an ROC passport as valid for entry is enough to prove this. For comparison, major countries like the US, UK, etc. do not accept an Abkhazian Passport, requiring any person from Abkhazia to use either a Georgian or Russian Passport, which clearly shows they do not accept Abkhazia as independent (de facto or de jure). Not to mention the US recently sold 66 brand new state of the art F-16Vs to Taiwan. No way in hell would the US sell the latest block F-16s to just some Chinese rebel province. So yeah, Eagle Dynamics wouldn’t be taking any political statement risks because they chose to use certain phrases.

Edit: I just realized, maps are sold as DLC anyways. If the map really would be a big issue with the Chinese government, perhaps ED can make it so that you can't purchase the map if you're location is in China. If Steam is able to make certain games unavailable in certain regions, so can ED.

I hope something like this can work. Eagle has no interest in such a map. 

What's interesting about this situation, without the political aspect...

... is that ED is wanting/hoping to develop a global map. Meaning the whole world. Maybe not in super high details for all of it, the details have yet to be figured out and likely won't be made public for years. It's very early days for this, in something that might take 5 to 10 years.

BUT... that island and the straight would presumably be included in such a global map. Maybe in that area of the world it won't be labled or "aligned" one way or the other... 

In my opinion China Sea would be a great map for DCS. For a dynamic campaign you could even have carrier air group battles, scenarios like this. 

Is there a better use of the FA18 and Super Carrier?

Edited by Mogster

Hi Mogster, 

I saw your YouTube video that shows a proposed Strait of Taiwan map.  In the past, myself and countless other people in the ED forum have asked for, suggested, and recommended the Strait of Taiwan map.  When I searched various forum pasts, this map has been suggested for a few years.  Despite the repeated requests, ED says no.  They say they will not create it because the map would be too political.  I, too, have asked for the map in the past, but ED declined my request in a response.  I wanted to share your experiences when I suggested the Map of Taiwan.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/1/2022 at 7:18 AM, Mogster said:

In my opinion China Sea would be a great map for DCS. For a dynamic campaign you could even have carrier air group battles, scenarios like this. 

Is there a better use of the FA18 and Super Carrier?

It would also be a good use for ship modules 

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 10:02 AM, BIGNEWY said:

threads merged. 

We have no plans for a Taiwan terrain. 

Please ensure you keep the topic away from real world politics. 

thanks

Would a map of the Senkaku Islands along with Okinawa also be out of the question?

On topic:

Taiwan would be a fantastic map.

• Like 1

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

On 12/25/2021 at 5:30 PM, Rick50 said:

The blowing up of everything, of course.  

Mayhem is its own reward. 💥

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Looking at older forum posts that suggest a Strait of Taiwan map going back a few years, ED said no to the map. 

So, the next best thing would be the south Atlantic map. It should be released soon.

The runner-up map could be the Marianas Island map.

Edited by Mike Force Team

On 12/25/2021 at 10:30 PM, Rick50 said:

... is that ED is wanting/hoping to develop a global map. Meaning the whole world. Maybe not in super high details for all of it, the details have yet to be figured out and likely won't be made public for years. It's very early days for this, in something that might take 5 to 10 years.

BUT... that island and the straight would presumably be included in such a global map. Maybe in that area of the world it won't be labled or "aligned" one way or the other... 

I can see what makes a global map attractive though. Include everything and you can’t be accused of including politically sensitive areas by preference…

For DCS it’s still difficult as users are going to want historical maps for historical scenarios. The MSFS map great as it is wouldn’t be much use for 40s Europe, 50s Korea, 70s Vietnam etc etc.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, upyr1 said:

Okinawa was the sight of a world war II battle 

Pretty much why I asked about it if Taiwan is an absolute no which appears to be the case. In current era, it's home to a major US Marine base as well as the JASDF's Naha airbase. Like the Mariana's, it could play to both historic and a "what-if" modern scenario.

15 minutes ago, CarbonFox said:

Pretty much why I asked about it if Taiwan is an absolute no which appears to be the case. In current era, it's home to a major US Marine base as well as the JASDF's Naha airbase. Like the Mariana's, it could play to both historic and a "what-if" modern scenario.

The issue with Taiwan, is the simple fact the Chinese government gets butt hurt over anything that depicts Taiwan as an independent nation. Except for historical Chinese civil war or World War II scenarios anything with the straits of Taiwan would require the Republic of China as a faction.  A modern Okinawa map, like the Marianas might be doable, as long as Taiwan isn't on the map. The entire point to the China asset pack is to do what if scenarios in Asia, just not Taiwan

Edited by upyr1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:07 AM, upyr1 said:

The issue with Taiwan, is the simple fact the Chinese government gets butt hurt over anything that depicts Taiwan as an independent nation. Except for historical Chinese civil war or World War II scenarios anything with the straits of Taiwan would require the Republic of China as a faction.  A modern Okinawa map, like the Marianas might be doable, as long as Taiwan isn't on the map. The entire point to the China asset pack is to do what if scenarios in Asia, just not Taiwan

Not to get "political" but I'm not sure what ED has to fear from the Chinese government getting their jimmies rustled over Taiwan being depicted in a map. 

• ED Team

Yeah we do not want to get political. 

We have mentioned it before, we have no plans for Taiwan currently. 

thanks

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2