F18. Point of situation

wolf74

From: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3285514&postcount=13

I might have gotten some parts wrong though ...

Sensors:

• A/A radar with RWS, STT, and ACM modes (complete)

Weapons:

• Mk-82 series (complete)
  • Mk-83 series (complete)
  • Mk-84 series (complete)
  • CBU-99 and Mk-20 Cluster Bombs (complete)
  • BDU-33 Training Bomb (complete)
  • BDU-45 Training Bomb (complete)
  • 2.75 inch rockets (complete)
  • 5 inch rockets (complete)
  • 20mm cannon (complete)
  • AIM-9L/M and CATM Sidewinder (complete)
  • AIM-7F/M Sparrow (complete)

Following the early access release, we plan to include many more sensors, weapons, and decoys for the final product. Please note that this list is also subject to change:

Sensors:

• A/A radar with TWS, SCAN RAID, AZ/EL (WIP)
  • A/G radar with MAP, EXP1, EXP2, EXP3, SEA, GMT, PVU, AGR, IRA, and TA (no)
  • AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod (WIP)
  • Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS) (mostly complete?)
  • Link-16 (mostly complete?)
  • AWW-13 Datalink Pod (mostly complete?)
  • NVGs (complete)

Weapons:

• AGM-88C HARM (WIP)
  • AGM-45A/B Shrike (no)
  • AGM-84D Block 1C Harpoon (mostly complete?)
  • AGM-84E SLAM (no)
  • AGM-84H/K SLAM-ER (no)
  • AGM-65E Maverick (complete)
  • AGM-65F Maverick (complete)
  • AGM-154A JSOW (complete)
  • AGM-154C JSOW (complete)
  • Walleye I ER/DL
  • Walleye II ER/DL (complete)
  • GBU-10 Paveway II (complete)
  • GBU-12 Paveway II (complete)
  • GBU-16 Paveway II (complete)
  • GBU-24B/B Paveway III (no)
  • GBU-38 JDAM (complete, subject to change)
  • GBU-31 JDAM (complete, subject to change)
  • GBU-32 JDAM (complete, subject to change)
  • AIM-9X Sidewinder (complete)
  • AIM-7P Sparrow (complete)
  • AIM-120B/C AMRAAM (complete)
  • Mk-40 Destructor Sea Mine (no)
  • Mk-63 Quickstrike Sea Mine (no)
  • Mk-77 Fire Bomb (no)

Decoys:

• ADM-141 TALD (no)
  • GEN-X (no)

I think they should stop adding more weapons like sea mines or shrikes which are not that useful, and instead focusing on quality of life.

Like better hotas controls

Thats not really how development, or any large project, works.

You can make it known that you are eagerly awaiting better hotas controls, so that they know it is wanted.

But they cannot just "reallocate" effort from one thing to another, they cant just shift Dave from weapons to hotas and have it speed up proportionally, doesnt work like that.

There could be situations where, say for example, the shrike is being developed for more than one module and has its place in the timetable of each module and cannot be held back without messing up multiple projects in multiple ways.

Or maybe hotas is fine and nobody is complaining about it except for yourself.

The control over development timetables and schedules that forum members have is WAY, WAY less than a lot of people think. Which is as it should be. Imagine having to run every project decision past 10,000 random, mixed-experience civilians before doing anything? You'd make the worst sim on the planet. After about 25 years of work.

Besides which, it doesnt even go into priorities in the above list. How do you know shrike wont be completed at the absolute last minute?

Thanks. But, we must await for all the things with red "no" write for the final version?

Correct, but you can buy it now and fly it as is. Which is the point of early access. I would say to add the remaining features might take about another year, perhaps more. But you usually have one thing added per month. Also, I'd take that list with a grain of salt, some systems aren't listed and things like the ATFLIR aren't really started though we do have a different targeting pod that works now.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

All I’de like for Christmas is a working EW/ECM jamming pod. I already have plenty of ways to find stuff and blow said stuff apart

Chiz posted a job opening for a coder to do ew. So 2 more weeks.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Unless i've missed something then GBU32 are not available as yet? I do hope that ED get them modelled given that all other weapon classes in the GBU range are already complete and the systems for release are also complete - maybe they have overlooked them??

This is a real pain as these are also required on the AV8B.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Unless i've missed something then GBU32 are not available as yet? I do hope that ED get them modelled given that all other weapon classes in the GBU range are already complete and the systems for release are also complete - maybe they have overlooked them??

GBU-32 are in and literally in the list in the 2nd post...

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

That list is more of a list of shiny selling points, there is a whole load of underlying systems yet to be modelled

good Point. I'm holding back on purchasing the hornet, because there is so much still missing from the bird itself: Avionics, FCS, damage modeling etc.

Would be nice to get a roadmap on when to expect those more basics features coming together. I could easily wait for even more ordnance to be added...

good Point. I'm holding back on purchasing the hornet, because there is so much still missing from the bird itself: Avionics, FCS, damage modeling etc.

Would be nice to get a roadmap on when to expect those more basics features coming together. I could easily wait for even more ordnance to be added...

Module is more than usable as it is and you won’t miss those remaining features that much if any at all mate. I don’t get why there’s people still saying they wait at the fence till completion :huh: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Module is more than usable as it is and you won’t miss those remaining features that much if any at all mate. I don’t get why there’s people still saying they wait at the fence till completion :huh: .

S!

signed:thumbup:

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

While there are clearly some features which are needing polish (a whole tin of polish for some, TGP I am looking at you) and some missing features (A-G radar being the obvious one but some others) the Hornet is now very capable and complete enough that you won’t find yourself running into placeholders or things which are so partially implemented it is a show stopper. As it stands you can;

- do air to air - while the A-A radar is not complete yet it is very good (and personally I find the TWS implementation to be superior to that in the Viper, particularly for multi-target engagements (where often in the Viper I end up having one target not being a system track and thus not being able to bug it the Hornet system is as smooth as silk).

- perform SEAD - the HARM lacks pre-planned mode (though if you have a target location you have other options like the JSOW A), sadly it will never have a HTS, so your Viper buddies will have to play chicken with the SAMs to map them out (when it finally gets it)

- CAS - TGP, Mavericks, LGBs, JDAMs, Rockets, iron bombs, gun, cluster munitions all there.

- Interdiction - yep

- Stand-off strike - JSOWs currently, hopefully we see the SLAM-ER early in the new year (this is going to lead to some really interesting possibilities particularly once datalink to other pilots missiles is implemented (see the description of one of the strikes in ‘Declared Hostile’)

- Anti-shipping - while we have the Harpoon the lack of sea radar currently is a bit of a downer on that one

While there are more complete modules they all have their limitations. The beautiful Tomcat (which Heatblur have done a fantastic job with) even complete is more limited in role (but very capable in the roles it can do), the Viggen and Warthog are really meant to be down in the mud (whether that be while flying slow in a tank or at Mach 1 tree top flying) and the Mirage (which is fantastic as well) is both more limited in air to air (no datalink, no active radar missiles) and air to ground (rockets, dumb bombs or LGBs with someone else lazing). The only comparator is Jeff though it can’t refuel in mid-air as yet, can’t operate on a carrier and has some bugs (which Deka are diligently dealing with by all reports). By the time you master all of that there will be more things to play with.

While there are clearly some features which are needing polish (a whole tin of polish for some, TGP I am looking at you) and some missing features (A-G radar being the obvious one but some others) the Hornet is now very capable and complete enough that you won’t find yourself running into placeholders or things which are so partially implemented it is a show stopper. As it stands you can;

- do air to air - while the A-A radar is not complete yet it is very good (and personally I find the TWS implementation to be superior to that in the Viper, particularly for multi-target engagements (where often in the Viper I end up having one target not being a system track and thus not being able to bug it the Hornet system is as smooth as silk).

- perform SEAD - the HARM lacks pre-planned mode (though if you have a target location you have other options like the JSOW A), sadly it will never have a HTS, so your Viper buddies will have to play chicken with the SAMs to map them out (when it finally gets it)

- CAS - TGP, Mavericks, LGBs, JDAMs, Rockets, iron bombs, gun, cluster munitions all there.

- Interdiction - yep

- Stand-off strike - JSOWs currently, hopefully we see the SLAM-ER early in the new year (this is going to lead to some really interesting possibilities particularly once datalink to other pilots missiles is implemented (see the description of one of the strikes in ‘Declared Hostile’)

- Anti-shipping - while we have the Harpoon the lack of sea radar currently is a bit of a downer on that one

While there are more complete modules they all have their limitations. The beautiful Tomcat (which Heatblur have done a fantastic job with) even complete is more limited in role (but very capable in the roles it can do), the Viggen and Warthog are really meant to be down in the mud (whether that be while flying slow in a tank or at Mach 1 tree top flying) and the Mirage (which is fantastic as well) is both more limited in air to air (no datalink, no active radar missiles) and air to ground (rockets, dumb bombs or LGBs with someone else lazing). The only comparator is Jeff though it can’t refuel in mid-air as yet, can’t operate on a carrier and has some bugs (which Deka are diligently dealing with by all reports). By the time you master all of that there will be more things to play with.

+1 nailed it.

If you're interested in the Hornet just get it. There is more than enough to keep you going.

Does that mean EW will finally improve for DCS as a whole?

That's the hope. But you know how it is hope in one hand, wait just 2 short weeks in the other :megalol:

Honestly I'd be happy if we saw some improvement in EW in a year or so.

S!

Honestly I think this notion causes a lot of angst for various players. I tend to think of DCS being broken down into 3 ish ecosystems of players or tiers if you will.

1. The hardcore rivet counting guys that want to check and make sure the hydraulics work, the FLCS passes tests and rerun it if it doesn't etc. The really hardcore guys that know 1 plane 100% like a real pilot would. These are the guys poring over NATO ops manuals and Tacmans and whatever real world documentation they can get. And that's perhaps the guys "you don't get". I don't think this is a huge segment of the DCS community, but they are usually the "game SME's" and are immensely helpful to have around.

2. The semi hardcore guys that can cold start the plane, do most of the things but don't get too hung up on the details. They usually understand to some extent what the systems do and how they work, but not to the level of the Tier1 guys. They know how to employ most weapons effectively and so forth, but aren't always up on the details. I'd say there are a lot of guys like this in DCS. And maybe this is you.

3. The casual guys that just wanna fly around and blow stuff up, and mainly care about understanding which sequence of buttons to press to make things go boom. They don't care about cold starts or knowing too much about the systems or weapons aside from which ones to drop on tgt X. I'd say this is the "Causal" part of the DCS ecosystem.

Personally I think there is way too much angst against the folks that aren't in your personal tier group and waaay too much focus on people wanting others to play the game like they do. Each group has their place IMO.

The HOTAS is modeled after the actual aircraft. Any problems you have with HOTAS could be referred directly to McDonnell Douglas, if they hadn’t been absorbed by Boeing.

Yeah, this is one of my personal pet peeves since I try to fly the aircraft like its supposed to be flown IRL. People mapping all sorts of unrealistic things to the hotas, because that's what they are used to, or mapping all aircraft the same. Strikes me as a bit boring I guess.

Yes, the realistic Hotas is so cool. It is the part were you feel like you’re flying the real deal. I love to keep this part as realistic as possible. With dcs we get this option. Furthermore, in the state that the f18 is now it can be flown realistically with real in-depth features and capable of flying almost all the roles it was intended to be flown...

Although some features like hud tgp indicator and ground mapping radar are my personal highest ranked features that needs finishing. But boy, this is such a cool module (and others as well....)! I thank dcs daily in my mind that we have the opportunity flying these fighters in such a realistic and satisfying way.