Really Enjoying Revanche Campaign in VR

Johnny Dioxin

I've flown this campaign twice before - once in FC2 and again in FC2 with DCS World 1.24 - enjoyed both times and wrote up some AARs for different forums at the time.

Now I'm flying the full campaign in VR for the first time. I've done some testing of the first movement and training missions, just to see how I got on with them in VR, without being able to easily check references like I can when flying on the monitor.

So far, it's been really great. Despite having a number of issue with performance in the Caucasus in VR since 2.5 was released and mostly with the full-fidelity modules, it has run very smoothly, with no stuttering or hiccups, despite the often large number of AI active.

My only disappointments on the graphics side so far are the light, or gamma, don't really know - but this tends to be the case a lot, at least for me, with DCS World 2.5 in VR - and the aliasing.

I'm reluctant to increase AA as it tends to be a performance killer in VR, but outside of the cockpit (which looks The Business in VR) the jaggies can be really bad - and then combined with the lighting issue, it can make airfields and the objects on them look pretty dire. But I tend to just overlook those things and try and concentrate on the good stuff!

The missions themselves have been fine, so far (big thanks to Winz, yet again, for his work on updating the campaign), though there are some issues, such as flight timings and getting your flight to actually land when or after you do, they are not game-breaking. I do exit the missions with other aircraft before I would like to, due to the landing issue - don't want to lose aircraft for later missions or get a lower score because they run out of fuel and crash.

I'll continue to report as I fly through the campaign and mention any important issues that may appear.

Otherwise, I would recommend this campaign - especially for those getting back into the sim after not doing much, or wanting to try a campaign in VR for the first time. Not too much to think about with this aircraft - pretty simple (though interesting and fun) steam gauge technology at it's best, here :)

Screen-191224-123713.png

Screen-191224-124554.png

Screen-191224-125341.png

Screen-191224-125252.png

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

You must be talking about a different campaign - the first one in Revanche is a movement order, the second and third are training on the ranges.

If you let me know what targets you are trying to destroy, I can tell you what I would use.

edit: If you follow the link in my sig to the kneeboard files, look in the Su-25T folder and there are some munition sheets in there. It's for the 25T, but the munitions you get for the -25 are listed there, too. The sheets describe which ordnance is best for which targets.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Unfortunately, it seems there are still issues with the S25L missiles (or guided rockets, if ya like).

On one out 4 run-ins, they launched correctly - on 3 they didn't launch at all.

Identical approach, procedures etc. So not good - but as it's a practise mission (in an Su-25T for an Su-25(A) campaign) it's not the end of the world. I think these weapons are only loaded once for the campaign, iirc, so I think I'll fly the missions individually instead of as a campaign, so I don't have to start again after losing points to this problem.

Kneeboard Guides

Another issue, although a very minor one, is the ATC and range control.

Most times it works as it should, but on occasions you are left 'talking' to yourself. If you want to refly a mission, it's probably best to leave the campaign and then go back to it and fly the same mission if you want to get all the correct calls.

After having the problems with the S25L, I found that reflying the mission from the end debrief screen caused ATC to not respond when asking permission for start-up. though they do give you taxi and take-off instructions if you just pull away of your own volition.

Similarly, on the refly, range control went silent after my first run, for the rest of the mission.

Still got the mission result message on touchdown, so as I said - it's a minor thing, but an annoyance, nonetheless.

Kneeboard Guides