Mission Editor Triggers - Actions / Events Wishlist

michelip

I guess that many of us who regularly build missions have some ideas about trigger Actions or Events that they would like to see altered or added in the M.E. Mine are:

Actions:

1.Rocket in Zone, and Artillery Round in Zone added to Missile In Zone and Bomb in Zone.

2. Bomb in Zone fixed to again include the AN-M64 bombs. ( I cannot understand why this was removed. If a mistake then it seems to have been ignored by E.D.)

3. Add Unit engine START and Unit engine SHUTDOWN

4. Add an AND choice to complement the OR choice (to allow 2 or more events to act as a trigger and to allow an "and /or" option).

5. Moving Zone fixed to apply to Trains.

6. Allowing an action to have effect only on its second occurrence.

Events:

7. Add black to colour of Smoke Markers.

8. Fixing "Explode Unit" and "Explosion" to more clearly reflect the intensity allocated to them. (In my view, the difference between, e.g. a value of 300 is not noticeably different to one of 500). Maybe it would be better to just have (say) 10 levels of intensity.

If you have comments or other suggestions, let's hear them.

Regards,

Mich.

• Like 2

to 4. AND it automatic. all what you write in is with and connectet, exept you use the OR

Hi BlackLibrary, Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying the AND option is already there? I have tried adding 2 actions in the same window, but the trigger fails. The OR option works fine to specify one action or another, but not both.

Regards,

Mich

Hi Michelip,

I believe BlackLibrary is saying that there is no requirement for an AND statement because you simply list the multiple conditions that you want to trigger the action required. Listing them, automatically acts as an AND statement.

Now an IF statement would be very useful. I requested that in EDs request for improvements to the ME recently. Hope this helps.

Edited by SUNTSAG
  • Like 1

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yes "AND" is implied - if 2 conditions set in a trigger occurs and the trigger doesn't do the action, then something is wrong somewhere but not the AND that exists by default between the 2 conditions.

6 - second occurrence : 2 similar triggers : first one in "conditions" you set "if flag #X is false" then "action" : set this flag #X to true. Second trigger same than first but you set "if flag #X is true" then "the action you want to happen on second occurrence".

Regarding IF statement, when you set a condition in the middle column of triggers, the IF is implied ? or I don't understand ? (most certainly!) - btw IF or THEN functions are available through lua Scripting. 2nd btw : thanks Suntsag for your M.E. videos and missions !

I would like the ability to subscribe to ALL world.event events in multiplayer that can be accessed in a single player mission.

Specifically, but not limited to, S_EVENT_REFUELING and S_EVENT_REFUELING_STOP.

Currently, the REFUELING event is never triggered, and the REFUELING_STOP event is only triggered occasionally.

Wayz Out

Intel Core i9 9900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z390E Gaming MB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

HTC Vive Pro VR | Logitech G x56 HOTAS | Logitech G PRO Pedals

Hi Michelip,

I believe BlackLibrary is saying that there is no requirement for an AND statement because you simply list the multiple conditions that you want to trigger the action required. Listing them, automatically acts as an AND statement.

Now an IF statement would be very useful. I requested that in EDs request for improvements to the ME recently. Hope this helps.

Hi Sunstag, Thanks for your comment. I have attempted to add 2 Actions (Conditions) in the same window, (and 2 Events out of one Action) but trigger always failed. I shall give it another go. Could you advise if you've been able to successfully trigger 2 Events with one Action Trigger?

All the best,

Mich

yes "AND" is implied - if 2 conditions set in a trigger occurs and the trigger doesn't do the action, then something is wrong somewhere but not the AND that exists by default between the 2 conditions.

6 - second occurrence : 2 similar triggers : first one in "conditions" you set "if flag #X is false" then "action" : set this flag #X to true. Second trigger same than first but you set "if flag #X is true" then "the action you want to happen on second occurrence".

Regarding IF statement, when you set a condition in the middle column of triggers, the IF is implied ? or I don't understand ? (most certainly!) - btw IF or THEN functions are available through lua Scripting. 2nd btw : thanks Suntsag for your M.E. videos and missions !

Thanks Toutenglisse, especially for your help on my item 6. I had not previously understood the uses of "Flag true" & "Flag false". Still learning every day.

Regards,

Mich

• 2 years later...

Yes, it would be great to have an "IF" statement

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

39 minutes ago, BoneDust said:

Yes, it would be great to have an "IF" statement

We do. Mostly. That's what all the conditionals are about after all.

The problem is rather the highly obtuse and inflexible way we can combine them with just “OR” statements. What we could use to make those “IF”s a lot more clear, and the execution logic of them more clear, is the ability to add explicit parentheses / brackets and equally explicit “AND” statements to (optionally) replace the current implicit ANDs and unclear OR groupings. For bonus funpoints, complete the set with NOT, XOR, NAND…

But as mentioned earlier, a huge problem in all this is the implicit and nature of the logic operators that are there, and the equally implicit and obscured grouping of those operators. It's an old thread and an old problem with an even older UI that was in dire need to upgrades and refinements half a decade ago.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2019 at 10:09 AM, michelip said:

I guess that many of us who regularly build missions have some ideas about trigger Actions or Events that they would like to see altered or added in the M.E. Mine are:

Actions:

1.Rocket in Zone, and Artillery Round in Zone added to Missile In Zone and Bomb in Zone.

2. Bomb in Zone fixed to again include the AN-M64 bombs. ( I cannot understand why this was removed. If a mistake then it seems to have been ignored by E.D.)

3. Add Unit engine START and Unit engine SHUTDOWN

4. Add an AND choice to complement the OR choice (to allow 2 or more events to act as a trigger and to allow an "and /or" option).

5. Moving Zone fixed to apply to Trains.

6. Allowing an action to have effect only on its second occurrence.

Events:

7. Add black to colour of Smoke Markers.

8. Fixing "Explode Unit" and "Explosion" to more clearly reflect the intensity allocated to them. (In my view, the difference between, e.g. a value of 300 is not noticeably different to one of 500). Maybe it would be better to just have (say) 10 levels of intensity.

If you have comments or other suggestions, let's hear them.

Regards,

Mich.

Also add the WW2 Aerial Rocket types to the selection list for rockets in zone, etc.

• Like 1