Potential Rift S Owner

Conuk

Hi guys. Without looking at a million posts.

Just wondering if my rig will cut it?

Haven't had VR before... But have the option of getting one now.

I7 6700k overclocked to 4.5ghz

32 gb ram

EVGA 1070ti super overclocked

OS and games on seperate SDDS

Is it worth me getting a rift s?

Currently only game at 1080p so not really wanting to upgrade yet...

Also waiting on new system from Shadow.. Am going to try their 2080 gtx equivalent setups and their Titan level.. But this is not till February.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you would be fine.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Im running

i5-4690K at stock clock speed of 3.5GHz

32 Gb ram

MSI GTX1070 OC

Game running on a 1TB WD blue HDD

and my Oculus Rift works pretty well only time i would get any but of picture distortion is looking at the F-14s wing tip during a fast roll but thats really it

Thanks buddy. I see you have a super rig.

Come on sell it to me :) ... Is dcs and the rift s the perfect match right now?

Thanks!

I am extremely pleased with the rig and with the Rift S. I spend many hours a week with that headset on.

Have been since getting it in May, just keeps on working great every time, no muss no fuss.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks!

I am extremely pleased with the rig and with the Rift S. I spend many hours a week with that headset on.

Have been since getting it in May, just keeps on working great every time, no muss no fuss.

Ditto, I have the Index, Rift S and Reverb. The Rift S is "bulletproof", or at least has been for me, very simple to set up and run. Occulus has that nailed compared to WMR IMO - plus ask any sim developer, and they much prefer working with the Oculus drivers/etc, much more robust so I'm told. The Rift S isn't as high a res, but it still looks great, in fact I replaced 3 Samsung Odyseey + with 3 Rift S for our gaming PCs back when it came out, and the Rift S surprised me, as based on specs I didn't think it would perform in DCS so well as it does.

Again, while there are higher res options available, I still have no problem enthusiastically recommending the Rift S, especially for first time/newer VR users. Even for $ no object more veteran VR users, the Rift S is still a good option too.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Cannot recommend the Rift S enough - stable and trouble free - upgraded back in June and wasnt expecting much re the specs on paper! It was however night and day compared to the original CV1 and trust me first time you get in and load up you will be saying Holy S**t - being in the virtual world not just looking at it in 2D is a totally different game and experience!! Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Thanks buddy. I see you have a super rig.

Come on sell it to me :) ... Is dcs and the rift s the perfect match right now?

It´s not perfect, there are better products around; bear in mind I stress the word "better", not cheaper ;)

Regarding F-14 Tomcat issues, it´s the most demanding module graphic-wise, the 3D external model, 3D cockpit model and textures are massively detailed and is a big resource hog.

Not to mention user files liveries can be up to 500 Mb each.

Long story short, buy Rift S and enjoy the ride :thumbup::thumbup:

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Hi guys. Without looking at a million posts.

Just wondering if my rig will cut it?

Yeah I have the same situation, I don't know is my 1070Ti enough for Rift S, people recommends at least 1080Ti. I had opportunity to test HTC Vive with my rig, you really need to lower settings to get at least 45 fps in simple SP mission. I assume Rift S is more demanding than Vive?

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Still watching videos... Could stretch to a Vice Pro Kit for 899...just weighing it up.... Or save the cash and get the Rift S

Still unsure about the base stations on the vive...to be honest I will just watch movies...DCS, flight and car sims probably.

I'm new to VR and went with the RiftS. It's great. Super simple to set up; no hassles - works directly out of the box. Performance is great - i use a PD of 1.2. Just tweak your settings to get the best performance for your rig. For the price, I don't think anything compares to the RiftS. Any res. gains with the +2x more pricier headsets are no where near significant enough to justify. VR is dead end tech in its current iteration. The Graphics card required to drive this 1:1 resolution increase ins't practical. For now the rifts is good enough. When new tech like foveated rendering and eye tracking is implemented way down the road, then start thinking about pricier headsets with higher res screens.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I'm new to VR and went with the RiftS. It's great. Super simple to set up; no hassles - works directly out of the box. Performance is great - i use a PD of 1.2. Just tweak your settings to get the best performance for your rig. For the price, I don't think anything compares to the RiftS. Any res. gains with the +2x more pricier headsets are no where near significant enough to justify. VR is dead end tech in its current iteration. The Graphics card required to drive this 1:1 resolution increase ins't practical. For now the rifts is good enough. When new tech like foveated rendering and eye tracking is implemented way down the road, then start thinking about pricier headsets with higher res screens.

Yep pretty much how I feel.

Absolutely loving my Rift S, dang thing just keeps on working and working, no tweaking or tuning just flying.

Don B

Yes , i'm having a great experience with the S . Certainly a large step up from the CV1 (in graphics) . Runs very well , even on a 1070 , and no fiddling .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Do you guys think the Rift S would work on a 4970 at 4.0GHZ under load with an EVGA 980 FTW? 16gb of 1600 RAM.

I ran a rift cv1 with slightly worse specs. I imagine it will work but not well. You might consider more ram.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yes , i'm having a great experience with the S . Certainly a large step up from the CV1 (in graphics) . Runs very well , even on a 1070 , and no fiddling .

Hmmmmm, I've been playing with the CV1 for a year now and scratched the lenses and my glasses the very first time I wore them! :cry: Been thinking about upgrading to the Rift S and after reading this thread and seeing comments like yours... Yup, time to upgrade!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Hmmmmm, I've been playing with the CV1 for a year now and scratched the lenses and my glasses the very first time I wore them! :cry: Been thinking about upgrading to the Rift S and after reading this thread and seeing comments like yours... Yup, time to upgrade!

Get some lens protectors first , and i highly recommend VR Optician prescription lenses :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Get some lens protectors first , and i highly recommend VR Optician prescription lenses :)

Lens protectors for the Rift? Didn't know about them. Any particular recommendations?

"VR Optician prescription lenses" Not familiar with these either! I guess I need to come out from under my rock more often... Thanks for the suggestions!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Lens protectors for the Rift? Didn't know about them. Any particular recommendations?

"VR Optician prescription lenses" Not familiar with these either! I guess I need to come out from under my rock more often... Thanks for the suggestions!

No particular recs . Amazon has different types . I've used two (CV1 and Rift S) and both work fine .

You can order VR lenses online , inputting your prescription , from several different makers . I chose VR Optician from rep , and am entirely happy with them . Much better than wearing glasses in a headset .

Before getting the Rift S , you may wish to consider a audio solution as well . Stock is horrible . Many use earbuds , some use Mantis headphone speakers (made for PSVR , and used in conjuntion with custom 3d printed mounts) , and i was fortunate enough to find that my headphones fit over the S . (Many don't)

Do you guys think the Rift S would work on a 4970 at 4.0GHZ under load with an EVGA 980 FTW? 16gb of 1600 RAM.

My rig is low end, i7 4790, 16gb ram pc3 1600, RX570 8mb card, I get along fine with the Rift S using the new A10C cockpit with the DCS VR settings at a constant 40 fps.

I'd like to fly with better settings but the increased cost of a completely new high end rig to use better settings will wait until DCS updates their code to use more processor cores.

OK so my head was fried watching all the videos.... Way too many things positive and negative.... So pulled the trigger and my Rift S is coming Monday.

I figured my rig isn't the best for VR so the other headsets would be even more taxing.

Also just order the F14 In the sale after watching the VFAT 2018 demo. Didn't realise the F14 was so agile with the right pilot!

Have pennies for one more plane in the sale...

Any recommendations? Was thinking the harrier would be nice for VR?

Or should I go F18 / F16?

Thanks all!