Goodbye VR... for now at least.

GunSlingerAUS

Just a sarcasm really. Again, not sure anyone can really argue one against the other, totally different objectives. Interesting enough, most of these hi faluten competitions are BVR. Nobody looks outside the cockpit anyway.

Each their own.

Regards

Yes like in Reality, for a Todays Fighter Pilot.

@ micsmotionsimulator

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what it is about VR vs 2D monitors that make these debates rage on. It's the same as Linux vs BSD back in the days, to Windows vs Mac, or Linux vs EveryOtherOS debates. I guess it's just tribal "my baby is cuter than your baby since I spent a lot of discretionary funds on it"?

Maybe. But it has ben raging on these forums since DK1.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I wonder what it is about VR vs 2D monitors that make these debates rage on. It's the same as Linux vs BSD back in the days, to Windows vs Mac, or Linux vs EveryOtherOS debates. I guess it's just tribal "my baby is cuter than your baby since I spent a lot of discretionary funds on it"?

Maybe. But it has ben raging on these forums since DK1.

In Elite Dangerous I aften park the old Cobre III in Earth orbit and just sit there mesmerized by the view. The same thing on a monitor is meh. Same for sitting in a perfect reproduction of a cockpit.

I want to be enveloped by the virtual world not merely peering at miniature version of it through a small window. I think even the OP wants that But then you have the throwbacks who have drawn a redline all around VR over which they will never cross and they will never stop dissing VR and VR users. The fact they show up at all in VR forums is an act of trolling.

In Elite Dangerous I aften park the old Cobre III in Earth orbit and just sit there mesmerized by the view. The same thing on a monitor is meh. Same for sitting in a perfect reproduction of a cockpit.

I want to be enveloped by the virtual world not merely peering at miniature version of it through a small window. I think even the OP wants that But then you have the throwbacks who have drawn a redline all around VR over which they will never cross and they will never stop dissing VR and VR users. The fact they show up at all in VR forums is an act of trolling.

It could be that they are curious though. What I *dont't* get is people saying it's not ready for prime time, never having played in VR. That, I just don't get. How do you put down something you've never tried? Very odd to me.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Just to be fair to the OP: he never dissed anybody. He didn't "draw a redline" either.

He just voiced his honest opinion (which is shared by other people) with "measurable" points and in a polite manner.

You like VR? You have the right to state so, and you have to be ready to have words with people who don't like VR (yet!), because that's the nature of a forum.

Trolling is an entirely different thing, you know that and you are just lying to yourself just to make your faction point stronger.

I find all of this a little pointless though: If i had listened and understood the sincere intents of GunSlingerAUS 2 months ago, I would have saved 40€ for the return shipment of my Valve Index.

But you cannot really understand something if you don't try it in first person.

The morale is: keep debating in a decent and mature way, but to judge something you have to try it first no matter how convincing is the factions (VR is ready, VR is not ready) propaganda.

VR over 2D is a highly subjective matter.

I had an Odyssey+ for a few weeks and went back to a monitor. Others don't want to fly without VR anymore. To each his own.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

• ED Team
VR over 2D is a highly subjective matter.

I had an Odyssey+ for a few weeks and went back to a monitor. Others don't want to fly without VR anymore. To each his own.

Correct, everyone has an opinion, and they will be different.

If I am flying for pleasure it has to be in VR anything else for me just does not cut it anymore, and I have tried many different ways over the years.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I use both 2d and VR and the reasons:

-2D: With trackIR I can stay in a blueflag or 104th server for hours and don't get any tired, cause doing PVP for more than a 1hr or 2 in VR is so demanding physically, is just like a hard workout. Plus better fps.

In fact, I treat the 2d like a sim within the sim. I learn (or re-learn) my modules first in 2d, then I go flying VR when I have enough systems knowledge.

-VR: Private sessions, more realistic ops. It's awesome if you do for instance an IFR patterns or less demanding ops like A/G, refueling, long trips. And that's where VR shines. When you realize you're doing checklist or just flying formation and you look out the canopy and you see a huge wing and you think; wow.

Regarding PVP, I'd say since most engagements are just BVR, you can do a PVP session only in VR Got a couple of buddies who can stay 8hrs without getting tired and perform pretty well. Sporting is a little bit hard, but dogfight and general situational awareness is better.

But the bad thing of VR is that you get inside a sim, and the world around you just disappears. And if you're ok with it perfect. But, if you have family, kids, or just a demanding girlfriend/boyfriend and you just can't get alone enough time to enjoy the session, VR turns out a bad experience. Too many takeoffs and much fewer landings. It is so anoying when you're 9nm out of your target, just about to shoot your beloved 120c and someone just knocks your visor in order to have their attention.

My point is that it is really up to you. If you try both, one would fit your playstyle more. It is like having a hotas warthog or x56 for instance. I do have both, sometimes I prefer one over the other but I could live with one.

So I was accepted into the MSFS 2020 alpha, which is great. VR support doesn't exist yet in the sim but the visuals are supposed to be absolutely stunning so I was quite excited.

Trouble is, I haven't flown on a 2d screen in years. I didn't worry about it much because I thought the ability to see the high quality visuals and be able to push buttons without blind muscle memory might be a nice change of pace.

Well... the game does look good, but it simply makes me feel like I am watching a plane on a screen. I don't even know how anyone could ever go back to that.

I cannot wait for the next batch of headsets to be released.

Edited by redcoat22

^^^

"Well... the game does look good, but it simply makes we feel like I am watching a plane on a screen. I don't even know how anyone could ever go back to that."

Yup. I don't care how pretty it is, no VR, no interest, and I've been strictly a PC Flight sim guy since the 80's. MSFT's had me scratching my head at times, since way back then, over some of their decisions regarding gaming/simulation...

i6700k 4.4mhz, 32Gb, nVidia 1080, Odyssey+, CH Products, Derek Speare Designs button box, Bass shaker w/SimShaker For Aviators

2D with current screens has now reached an optimal level, something complete. The 8k is near and anything above it won't make much sense. VR must be considered as the future because in comparison with 2D it is still young but with time i think there will be few who will remain firm in 2D. For these reasons i hope that all the efforts that ED is doing are for the VR front

I don't even fly anymore.

Not enough horsepower in my laptop (90% of my game time is away from home) to run the Index at satisfactory graphics settings.

But since trying VR, I'm no longer interested in 2D.

Yeah, while I love 2D's glorious graphical detail and smoothness, I still hunger for that real world feeling of VR. Hopefully the 3080 Ti has enough grunt to deliver the framerate I need for my Reverb.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

You don't even know what Motionreprojection is. Days ago we tell you here,how to Setup it right, but in your opinion, your 60Hz Display Refresh Rate Setup, was the best result.

Please wait for a VR for anyone Solution and play on a Monitor.

@ micsmotionsimulator

Hey mate, have you even read this document?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

I read it months ago, pretty sure I've got a good idea of the tech. I'm not sure why you get so upset when I clarify your vague comments.

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I find all of this a little pointless though: If i had listened and understood the sincere intents of GunSlingerAUS 2 months ago, I would have saved 40€ for the return shipment of my Valve Index.

And that is exactly why I think it's important that we use clear, accurate language around VR, as well as understanding the tech behind it. Many of the super-fans clearly have no idea how VR works, and make outrageous claims about how perfect it is. Apparently if you happen to notice some of the many faults, you don't how to set up a PC.:helpsmilie:

I bought a Reverb based on the opinions of a couple of people in here; for many people, spending AU$1200 on a HMD they don't use would be incredibly annoying. Personally, I'm happy to shelve it until the rest of PC hardware catches up to the Reverb's demands, hopefully when the 3080 Ti lands.

As I posted one page one of this thread, it's funny to see that there's two camps.

I recently purchased a Reverb and I'm truely amazed by its visuals and how well it runs on my "not absolute high end" pc (even with everything running on stock speed)

Then again, I'm only using this stuff for fun (not professionally) and I came from back when we had black and white pc screens :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

As I posted one page one of this thread, it's funny to see that there's two camps.

I recently purchased a Reverb and I'm truely amazed by its visuals and how well it runs on my "not absolute high end" pc (even with everything running on stock speed)

Then again, I'm only using this stuff for fun (not professionally) and I came from back when we had black and white pc screens :P

i keep forgetting we have 'professionals' in here, or 'serious competitors' as they sometimes call themselves.

i keep forgetting we have 'professionals' in here, or 'serious competitors' as they sometimes call themselves.

:megalol:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don't forget "key influencers". The "professionals" keep telling us we don't understand how things work, yet we have our headsets working quite well. :pilotfly:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• ED Team
Hey mate, have you even read this document?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

I read it months ago, pretty sure I've got a good idea of the tech. I'm not sure why you get so upset when I clarify your vague comments.

you will have to accept that some think you are wrong, this thread has gone on for a while now and you have expressed your views and many of us understand your point of view but sometimes you just got to let it go and move on :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yes, If you don't like it,don't use it.

I love DCS VR today and with Vulkan in the Future, i could be more perfect .

@ micsmotionsimulator

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

Yes, If you don't like it,don't use it.

I love DCS VR today and with Vulkan in the Future, i could be more perfect .

@ micsmotionsimulator

Based on every other Vulkan port in the past, expect no more than a 10-15% boost. Though I'm sure you'll get something like 200% on your magic PC! :music_whistling: