Copyright of screenshots taken from DCS

ignition22

Hi all.

Couple of months ago I started turning a spare bedroom into a sim room for flying and racing and in the last week or so started creating some art work for it using DCS screenshots as a starting point and then pretty radically changing to be like the attached.

Someone suggested to me I could make them available to others as prints on something like Society6 for a few dollars.

However am I right to presume that any images produced from DCS models like this would be under copyright by Eagle Dynamics and therefore could not be sold, despite being significantly modified from the originals? And that would cover both aircraft model and livery?

picture.php?albumid=1797&pictureid=11461

picture.php?albumid=1797&pictureid=11460

Edited by ignition22
testing linking pics

Its a totally new piece of arts you created on your own, even if the base reference is a picture from dcs, which is also a representation of a real existing model older than more than 25 years (industrial patent & design copywrite)

Therefore you can resell them without problems

Thanks for comment Neon67

I would agree 100% with your explanation if these were say free hand sketched from a reference image. But these are screenshots from the model viewer, clear cut and then with various digital effects applied to those images + a bunch of manual hand editing. Its not so much using DCS as reference, it IS a DCS image with effects and modifications applied over that image and so I'm a little unsure if that changes things.