TM Cougar how to define TG1 and TG2

L39Tom

Hi, I try to make a profile for my F16 via foxy. It works so far, but one problem is left.

I want define TG1 (First Detent) for lasing ("l") and TG2 (Second Detent) for shooting ("space").

BTN TG1 /H Lasering

BTN TG2 /H CAMERA/GUN_Trigger-SECOND_DETENT

TG1 works perfect, TG2 not (just if you define TG2 without TG1).

I think there must be some problems with the keybindings.

Some idea? Please help

Strange, as I've some profiles just like yours that are working fine, for example this for the F-5E:

BTN TG1  /H Gun_Trigger_FIRST_DETENT
BTN TG2  /H Gun_Trigger_SECOND_DETENT

Maybe the / on the macro name is confusing Foxy .. try to rename the macro to:

CAMERA-GUN_Trigger-SECOND_DETENT

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I think there must be some problems with the keybindings.

I guess you are trying to laser (TG1) AND use the gun trigger (TG2) at the same time.

That doesn't work as you in fact emulate a keyboard and there it doesn't work either. You can see that in Foxy's key tester.

I guess you can make it happen when you define them as DirectX buttons (and maybe some logical flags). I always believed that you can have more then one keypress at the same time with it.

From Foxy's help file:

In programmed mode, by default, none of the buttons will be seen by the sim as DirectX buttons. So we need to inform the sim if we want to assign them. The most common button assigned as a DirectX button is the Trigger:

USE TG1 AS DX1

We don't need to do anything else - the trigger will be seen by the sim and allocated a function, usually firing guns and/or missiles.

But from here Nutty already lost me. How in the world does the sim know what DX1 is, or in the case where every sim sees DX1 as the trigger, how in the world does it know what it is supposed to do when DX23 is pressed? I never used them and to be honest, never really understood how it works...:book:)

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

But from here Nutty already lost me. How in the world does the sim know what DX1 is, or in the case where every sim sees DX1 as the trigger, how in the world does it know what it is supposed to do when DX23 is pressed? I never used them and to be honest, never really understood how it works...:book:)

I use the DX command when DCS gives a different result, for the same command, when using the keyboard than when using the Hotas. For example, on the F-18 the key to open the speed brake does not work very well, so I define it in Foxy on this way:

Rem ############################################
Rem     Flaps / Airbrakes / Landing Gear
Rem ############################################

BTN  T10 /I   
       /O  /P /H DX28
            /R Speed_Brake_Switch-RETRACT 

How do I know that the button is DX28? ... when I assign it on DCS, it shows the DX-number, like this:

G2wMu9s.jpg

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Gotcha...

Well then i'm sure that's the solution for L39Tom.

Just use TG1 and TG2 as DX buttons (1 and 6) and set them ingame to Laser (DX1) and Camera Gun Trigger Second Detent (DX6)

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Using the DX function in foxy is exactly the same as define bottoms of the stick in DCS itself (and that works).

Correct .. I use it as a last resort only, because configuring on Foxy using keyboard commands allows for things that are hard to acomplish on DCS alone, for example, these lines allow me to cycle all the Hornet's Flap positions with a single button:

BTN T9  /I   Landing_Gear_Control_Handle-UP/DOWN 
        /O /T FLAP_Switch-HALF 
             /T FLAP_Switch-FULL 
            /T FLAP_Switch-HALF 
            /T FLAP_Switch-AUTO 

Some commands are repeated so that I get a smooth operation of the switch: up - center - down - center .. etc :)

Iirc the cougar stick doesn’t have two detents

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Iirc the cougar stick doesn’t have two detents

at least the Trigger, does have 2 contacts.

Ok. Problem solved. Assigning the trigger detents with the DXs in foxy it works as it should. Thank you all for your help

:thumbup:

Glad you have it working as you want, but... and I gess inthe end it's none of my business, but why would you want to have an HOTAS that is the exact replica of the aircraft you are flying performing diferently? At least for me, it's always preferable to operate the aircraft in the most realistic way possible.

That only counts for the F-16.

All other aircraft that i fly are flown with the same F-16 replica so that turns down realism? You have to work with the things you have. And yes... then there is that keyboard in front of you, not exactly "real" either.

And on a sidenote: what about flying in VR where you can't even see your keyboard and need to add some extra stuff on that HOTAS because otherwise you do nothing else then lifting that headset.

... why would you want to have an HOTAS that is the exact replica of the aircraft you are flying performing diferently? At least for me, it's always preferable to operate the aircraft in the most realistic way possible.

I cant speak for the OP, but on my case I use my Cougar as HOTAS for a lot of different simulated aircrafts, so I sometimes strive more towards standarization of the functions, than trying to stay hyper close to the original.

That only counts for the F-16.

All other aircraft that i fly are flown with the same F-16 replica so that turns down realism? You have to work with the things you have. And yes... then there is that keyboard in front of you, not exactly "real" either.

And on a sidenote: what about flying in VR where you can't even see your keyboard and need to add some extra stuff on that HOTAS because otherwise you do nothing else then lifting that headset.

Sure you got to work with what you have, just makes sence to me to try to stay as close to real as possible. At least as far as the HOTAS goes, if for no other reason to do it like the real pilots do, and understand the machine from the perspective of its real interface.

I have a Warthog and granted it has more total inputs than the cougar. But I can map every actual Hotas commands for all DCS aircraft I have on my hotas. Sometimes I have to get a little inventive of where I put them, but I do try to keep things close to where they are IRL. The only extra things I put on the HOTAS are trackIR related things.

Everything else I usually use mouse on the cockpit buttons, and if I do use the keyboard to make it faster the position of the real control is in my mind. I also use mouse when flying VR, clickable buttons and HOTAS functions, don't really need anything else.