EDP Brightness Control battery-powered?

D4n

Is this display really battery powered, while the instr. + cockpit lights are engine powered, or is this a bug?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

I'm not sure what your are asking, bc everything is on or off through the battery switch. With the battery switch off, none of the electronics work. It's kind of like a master power switch.

Without power, you can open and close the canopy, and turn your flashlight on and off, flip your sun-visor up and down, and watch the other pretty airplanes take off and land,but that's it.

After the battery switch is on, you can use the BRT knob to adjust the lighting of the EDP and other panels. I'd suggest hooking up ground power first, otherwise you can run the battery down fairly quickly.

Apropos ground power, if you close the canopy the ground crew cannot hear you, unless you turn the battery on for the intercom to work. You should also have to turn on the outer aux volume knob up, but that doesn't seem to be working, so battery on is enough.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Doesn't the entire aircraft run on DC? I'd be surprised to learn that the generator is producing AC.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Marsvinet is correct. EDP runs off the EMER 28 VDC bus, which is powered with the battery switch to BATT. Instrument lights are powered by the ESS 115/200 VAC bus.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

But once I have battery on I can turn on all the other cockpit lighting without the engine on, so I'm not sure what to think now.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

But once I have battery on I can turn on all the other cockpit lighting without the engine on, so I'm not sure what to think now.

Is that with the APU running? Cold / Dark jet with ONLY the battery switch to BATT the only internal lighting I get is the EDP. Regardless, instrument lights are AC and the EDP is EMER DC on the actual aircraft, I think that is what the OP was asking.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Yes, thanks so much guys! Very interesting design choice by those engineers.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Doesn't the entire aircraft run on DC? I'd be surprised to learn that the generator is producing AC.

Not sure what you mean. Most vehicular generators pass energy to an alternator, which produces alternating current. In fact, the alternator is likely simpler in a Harrier than a car since the energy is largely radial in a jet engine (it's a turbine system) as opposed to the piston IC type engine in an automobile.

Is that with the APU running? Cold / Dark jet with ONLY the battery switch to BATT the only internal lighting I get is the EDP. Regardless, instrument lights are AC and the EDP is EMER DC on the actual aircraft, I think that is what the OP was asking.

No, just battery on....... and... maybe ground power *wimper* :huh:

I'm so used to having GP hooked up first thing, even before battery on, that I didn't think about that it might just be the GP. I'll have to check that.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Yes, thanks so much guys! Very interesting design choice by those engineers.

Once in a while the engineers step into a bowl full of smarts :music_whistling:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Not sure what you mean. Most vehicular generators pass energy to an alternator, which produces alternating current. In fact, the alternator is likely simpler in a Harrier than a car since the energy is largely radial in a jet engine (it's a turbine system) as opposed to the piston IC type engine in an automobile.

We are down here on the ground and things, I think, are whizzing by over our heads.

Nearly all electronic run on DC. Open an electronic device and nearly always you will see that the power lines go straight to a transformer. So I was assuming that the generator is producing DC, not AC, and why would you want to produce AC when you just have to convert to DC for 99% of everything electronic in the aircraft.

I had to look it up, but apparently heavy-load electronics like motors, etc mostly run on AC (hydraulic pumps, etc. -- not sure what else) so I guess it would make sense to produce on AC.

Not sure what you were getting on about the engine. Both in-line piston engines and turbine engines produce a rotating axis. What is producing the energy to rotate the axis is the the greatest extent unimportant.

EDIT:

Okay, now tested.

GP Off, Battery Off: EDP: no lighting, Cockpit: no lighting

GP Off, Battery On: EDP: lighting (as reported), Cockpit: no lighting

GP On, Battery Off: EDP: no lighting, Cockpit: no lighting

GP On, Battery On: EDP: lighting, Cockpit: all lighting

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler