Harrier and DECM pod functionality

Neovo903

I've never done a comprehensive test, but I have used it a bunch of times, and I think it does have an affect on radar.

It takes longer for radar to lock on to you, and tracking I believe can take longer to get a good picture for launching.

There are no absolutes or certainties, but I believe you can tell the difference.

You still need to fly evasively to avoid missiles, especially if the missile is already launched.

What I've never played with is Emission Control. Using ECM means your are transmitting strong radio signals, which can easily be tracked. Think of it like shining a strong spotlight on your attacker. You're hoping that it blinds him enough that he cannot aim at you, but he sure as hell knows you are there. EM COM turns off ALL transmissions which might give you away, include IFF and radio comms. You are supposed to use it when approaching a radar station masked by the ground, until you are within your attack envelope and will be maneuvering in the clear. Then you disengage EM CON and let the DECM blast, get your shot quickly and get out.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

EM COM turns off ALL transmissions which might give you away, include IFF and radio comms.

Slightly off topic but that is just not true. Selecting EMCON disables all onboard emitters EXCEPT the comm radios and the RALT during a WOF or TOO.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Yes it does work. Holbeach did some testing some time back and the results are in his thread, he mainly tested against ship radars/sams.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Slightly off topic but that is just not true. Selecting EMCON disables all onboard emitters EXCEPT the comm radios and the RALT during a WOF or TOO.

I thought I read that comms were also out. You never stop learning this stuff. Thanks :thumbup:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Yes it does work. Holbeach did some testing some time back and the results are in his thread, he mainly tested against ship radars/sams.

I did a lot of practice against SA-6's and 8's with good results. I have limited experience with 10's and most of them bad. The problem is their range is so gosh darn great. Unless you have some nice screened approaches, they have you on their screens for so long, I guess the defeat the DECM and then *BOOM* a bunch of explosives come to visit at mach-3 :joystick:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Hollbeach said it reduced launch range a bit and increased lock times a bit iirc.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Here is the testing post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4047141&postcount=168

So pretty decent range reductions with that pod. 20-30% or more in some cases.

I think I got confused on engagement times with the viggen ECM pod, but the harrier one does it to I imagine.

The one execption is the SA-3, which well, is a short range missile to begin with and it was designed to be jam/low level clutter resistant.

Edited by Harlikwin

I thought I read that comms were also out. You never stop learning this stuff. Thanks :thumbup:

Right on. Kinda hard to say anyway since we don’t really know exactly the BuNo of our aircraft and exactly what documentation should be supporting it...plus the many documented differences between how our Harrier acts and the NATOPs, but I guess we have to struggle forward best we can. Cheers.

Thanks for pulling that link, good stuff. I exhausted my search-fu looking for that post but I feel slightly better now seeing that it was 168 messages deep into that thread.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4047141&postcount=168

So pretty decent range reductions with that pod. 20-30% or more in some cases.

I think I got confused on engagement times with the viggen ECM pod, but the harrier one does it to I imagine.

The one execption is the SA-3, which well, is a short range missile to begin with and it was designed to be jam/low level clutter resistant.

That's fantastic! Thank you so much

Happy new year!

I did a lot of practice against SA-6's and 8's with good results. I have limited experience with 10's and most of them bad. The problem is their range is so gosh darn great. Unless you have some nice screened approaches, they have you on their screens for so long, I guess the defeat the DECM and then *BOOM* a bunch of explosives come to visit at mach-3 :joystick:

One thing I enjoy doing is taking out SA-10 sites with Mk20s - such a lovely plane to fly on the deck that it's not really all that tricky to drive missiles into the ground on the way in.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

That's fantastic! Thank you so much

Happy new year!

Well thank Hollbeach more than me. :thumbup:

Thanks for pulling that link, good stuff. I exhausted my search-fu looking for that post but I feel slightly better now seeing that it was 168 messages deep into that thread.

No worries, I just remembered it was at the end of the thread.