[ED ISSUE- MARKER RECEIVER] Bad performance in VR on caucasus map

DST

Just bought the module via steam sale and from first test flying (warm start from start position) I noticed some very heavy stutters and a lot of "ghosting effects" through low fps when flying low level or when rolling the plane and looking left or right.

The strange thing is, this seems to occur ONLY on the caucasus map, on Nevada and PG maps performance is way better, smooth without stuttering, even with lots of buildings and objects on the ground.

Every other module I own runs flawlessly at the moment on all maps (F14, F16, F18, MiG21, Mirage) under the same conditions.

My specs are: 1080ti, i7 8700, 32 GB + Rift CV1

edit: the fps are excactly the same on caucasus and nevada maps (45 with ASW on) with the difference, on caucasus map I get those stutters, but on nevada map not. Try deleting metashaders2 and fxo folders, but no difference, still stutters.

Makes the module unplayable for me at the moment, so I´m gonna refund it, if there is no workaround for this.

Edited by DST

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

• 5 months later...

Yes thats true, model isnt optimalized. I have poor perfomance in VC of MiG-19 and only here.

Its playable but this module case FPS problem in VR. It is in my hangar from a long time. Pity.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Try to delete this folder and see what happens:

\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs

For best practice just rename it to something else.

PS. Whats your Steam VR SS YOYO?

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

Try to delete this folder and see what happens:

\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs

For best practice just rename it to something else.

PS. Whats your Steam VR SS YOYO?

No, its not problem of Map. In the same place for example with MiG-21 I have stable 45 FPS with MotionReprojection on. The same with Viggen with... A-G radar on!

In MiG-19 fps goes crazy (56-40). Not stable so it means model has FPS problem with keeping stable level of fps.

Something is wrong in this model so I leave it in hangar frong long time, pity. I like this module.

8rm9VDGt.jpg

Btw. the same situation, Harrier, FLIR on - stable 45 FPS.

Something is wrong modelled here.

According me here is poor optimalization so Im affraid what we will see in MiG-23 too.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

With your Gear you should be able to move this slider to 200% while PD=1.0 in DCS. Steam VR at 200% gives you exacly 9,2Mpx which is native Reverb res. Having it lower than that you are not utilizing 100% of its capability.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

With your Gear you should be able to move this slider to 200% while PD=1.0 in DCS. Steam VR at 200% gives you exacly 9,2Mpx which is native Reverb res. Having it lower than that you are not utilizing 100% of its capability.

More that 150% in SS hasn't big impact for what we see in the picture and its .... totally crazy idea to have 200% for Reverb. It was an issue with old version of WMR and Steam VR when WMR did not support higher resolution but it was months ago (January 2019? Mainly concerns the Odyssey Plus users). Setting up 200% means - you suggest me to have 4320x4320 pxt so more than 16K! It kills every PC in 2020 :D. Is it mistake from Your side maybe ? Thx :), I prefer near 100%, so near native resolutios of HP Reverb - but its different subject, not perfomance of VC in this MiG :) which is poorly made.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

The performance issues in VR in the Caucasus map are not related to the aircraft/cockpit model

So with what? No this FPS drop in F-18, Viggen ect. Only MiG-19P has this problem.

I'll check Normandy map. Nevada or Persian Gulf is poor benchmark because there are almost no facilities here.

So I'll check Normandy and Nevada but near Vegas.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Yes, on Nevada (Vegas) and over Normandy is better here than over Caucasus, but as I wrote, with more advanced systems modules FPS are better and more stable in the same place in Caucasus than with MiG-19. Something needs to be improved with optimalization I suppose still.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

More that 150% in SS hasn't big impact for what we see in the picture and its .... totally crazy idea to have 200% for Reverb. It was an issue with old version of WMR and Steam VR when WMR did not support higher resolution but it was months ago (January 2019? Mainly concerns the Odyssey Plus users). Setting up 200% means - you suggest me to have 4320x4320 pxt so more than 16K! It kills every PC in 2020 :D. Is it mistake from Your side maybe ? Thx :), I prefer near 100%, so near native resolutios of HP Reverb - but its different subject, not perfomance of VC in this MiG :) which is poorly made.

Steam VR set to 200% does not give me 4320x4320px... This is wierd. I'll check that as soon as I'm at home and will get back to you with more info. S!

So with what? No this FPS drop in F-18, Viggen ect. Only MiG-19P has this problem. .

I see no performance issue with the Mig19, buttery smooth along with any other module I expect to perform within the DCS library.

Intel® i9 9900K Coffee Lake OC 5.1GHz, ASUS ROG Maximum Formula LGA1151 MB, Windows 10® 64bit Pro, 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, EVGA Black Edition 2080Ti OC GPU, 2 x Samsung Evo 970 NVMe 1TB Drives, 1 x Samsung Evo 860 2TB SSD, 1 x Seagate 2TB HDD, 1 x Acer™ Predator 35" 4K Wide Flat Monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Oculus Rift S

I see no performance issue with the Mig19, buttery smooth along with any other module I expect to perform within the DCS library.

Im sure you didnt notice this, simply. Rift S is less demanding than Reverb with worse resolution. If you use native resolution paerhaps you dont see it with your hardware. What is strange my frient has Rift S also and he confirms performace issue also on this HMD and with MiG-19P module (he is developer) only.

Do you use VR shader mod?

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Im sure you didnt notice this, simply. Rift S is less demanding than Reverb with worse resolution. If you use native resolution paerhaps you dont see it with your hardware. What is strange my frient has Rift S also and he confirms performace issue also on this HMD and with MiG-19P module (he is developer) only.

Do you use VR shader mod?

Yeah, seems the issue maybe with the chosen few, unfortunately.

Intel® i9 9900K Coffee Lake OC 5.1GHz, ASUS ROG Maximum Formula LGA1151 MB, Windows 10® 64bit Pro, 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, EVGA Black Edition 2080Ti OC GPU, 2 x Samsung Evo 970 NVMe 1TB Drives, 1 x Samsung Evo 860 2TB SSD, 1 x Seagate 2TB HDD, 1 x Acer™ Predator 35" 4K Wide Flat Monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Oculus Rift S

The MiG-19 still has performance issues. It can be more noticeable in VR, but my guess is that it's a general problem in the code.

When checking GPU/CPU usage in the MiG I can see a constant "spikes" in CPU usage. This suggests that there's a code somewhere that runs every few frames and cause some frames to take much longer to draw. This can be noticeable as stutter and can also break reprojection.

This is Razbam's MiG-19 just flying around on an empty map

TuQsk0C.jpg

If I pause the game, the spikes in CPU usage go away

ctksFIc.jpg

And here's Harrier for comparison, no such regular spikes here on a CPU graph.

wuwo19e.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The MiG-19 still has performance issues....

Very good test Some1, it's proof that something is a problem with MiG-19P and this module works worse than other modules. It's not Caucasus map what I wrote before also. I'll check fpsVR and back here. I hope that OverStratos will improve it .... Id like to fly on this MiG again...

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I felt without testing that something was wrong with this module :D.

So.... yes for me its wrong coding also.

Im sure that this problem exists in non VR users also but its less visible than in VR mode (if you recive more that 60 fps for example on monitor). VR uses Motion Reprojection, which is very sensitive to FPS fluctuation, not stable FPS so lack of optymalization.

Here is another proof that with this module is something wrong. I only compare addons from Razbam to be honest, the same place, the same weather, the same flight.

Mirage - is OK, no issue

0vXL2GOh.jpg

Harrier - is OK (with FLIR on!!!), no issue

MjsIJOYh.jpg

MiG-19P - serious visible short stutter which means that the view from VC isnt smooth, and stutter is present = bad performance, visible issues in DCS VR mode (especially when you move your head).

Notice: radar is OFF.

ghxMvaCh.jpg

If this issue will not be solved, it will probably also appear in the MiG-23 also, which won't be fun for many new users (and the number of VR users is still growing) ....

So, OverStratos please fix it and give to us more info about this issue and progress about of solving it. Thank You, Id like to use this module like the others. This period is my favorite in DCS.

Btw. no this stutter in models of other companies, in Mig-21bis too so its not problem of map. but this MiG-19P module.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Just a shot in the dark here, as I don't have this problem. Have you tried turning off electric power on radio altimeter? Or in special options using static return? Try turning off electrical power one system at a time and see what's causing it.

[sIGPIC]hi[/sIGPIC]

I didn't notice any performance issues when I fly the mig so will try again shortly.

Will check and monitor for cpu spikes with my system both 2d and vr with Rift S.

Will report back.

I didn't notice any performance issues when I fly the mig so will try again shortly.

Will check and monitor for cpu spikes with my system both 2d and vr with Rift S.

Will report back.

But turn off VR shader mode :D.

Just a shot in the dark here, as I don't have this problem. Have you tried turning off electric power on radio altimeter? Or in special options using static return? Try turning off electrical power one system at a time and see what's causing it.

No it doesnt help. I have radar static also. In Cold Dark situation, on the ground I dont see this spikes even on slow taxi (rare here). FPS are good. They started his attack when engines are running, so maybe something is wrong in code of engines?

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

The "MRP-56P Marker Beacon Receiver and RV-5 Radar Altimeter" switch definitely has an impact on FPS for me.

The "MRP-56P Marker Beacon Receiver and RV-5 Radar Altimeter"

It doesnt help, I checked, the switch of power OFF > the same CPU stutter with this module:

up4JYFOl.jpg

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I did a quick test with task manager opened comparing the MiG 19 to the MiG 21, both planes at cold startup in the same hanger and mission. The overall CPU usage is 3% higher in the 19, CPU core 0 thread 1 is at ~90% vs ~70% in 21.

i7 7700k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080, 500 GB NVMe m.2 SSD, Trackir 3 Pro, Gunfighter Mk I w/MCG; Mod. TM Cougar throttle and Mod. CH Pro Pedals w/Pro Micro + MMjoy2, Nostromo n52

Hello OverStratos,

so any info about performance update?

As you can see, the model has an issue with stutter of high usage of CPU (short peaks at the same intervals, very often) what it's a cause of problem in VR mode with motion reprojection on (what use most of VR users).

Here I found also this issue in this topic and you replied:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259637

The issues that appear to some may be related with the navigation system or the radio-altimeter. We are working in this.

If this short peaks would appear in every module on Caucasus map it could be a problem of map, agree but they are present only in your MiG-19 which confirms it's a model/code problem not map only.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

which confirms it's a ...../code problem not map only.

Yes, I already answered to you that is most probable to be a code problem and that we are looking into this. Our coders have been working on all three aircraft these days, so as soon as they get into this issue I´ll let everybody know.