Reverb is crosseyed...

Wicked.-

So I set up the Reverb today and everything looks great in WMR portal and SteamVR. As soon as I get into DCS everything is cross eyed. So far I've been using the openVR debug tool to adjust the lenses and it has gotten better but it's still out of sync.

Here's the kicker. If I physically move the headset slightly down and left it is CRYSTAL CLEAR. I had an eye injury during my misspent youth which does effect my IPD to some extent. However, both the Rift CV1 and Index do not have any cross eyed effect at all. Also, I only get this effect in DCS, nowhere else. Does anyone know exactly what is being adjusted with the sliders in openVR Debug tool? I'm guessing they shift the lenses left or right up or down to center over the pupil.

If I can get the Reverb to not be cross eyed it's definitely a keeper over the Index.

Oh, HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Yeah, crystal clear. I had it set to very high quality, highest resolution and 90Hz in the Mixed reality portal. SteamVR custom resolution at 150% and that’s it. When I held it to the side and it was aligned, it was crystal clear. This was in the Viper. Also, I had NO aliasing compared to the Index and MSAA was off. Didn’t need it at all. I’ve been using the openVR debug tool and adjusting the left lens left for about 5 hours starting with the last decimal point lol. I just can’t get it to not be distractingly cross eyed. I’ve gone so far left now that the zoom pulls to the left.

I don’t get it. I’ve set the Reverb to 59 IPD which is the minimum. My index only goes to 58 but has zero cross eyed effect in DCS. Just 1mm. The cross eyed effect is so bad I can’t keep the headset on without at least swapping the top/bottom which helps. I gave up on the slider and instead began editing in Notepad++. I’d really like it to work but after trying literally every tweak on these forums it remains cross eyed. I even changed from parallel to raw in SteamVR settings.

The last thing I’ll try tomorrow is copy the openVR debug defaults from my Index to the Reverb. I doubt it will work because the lenses are canted slightly different but what the hell.

I will say the Index is still good visually but nowhere near as clear as the Reverb. It has more aliasing for sure. Overall I’m not unhappy with it, in fact I breathed a sigh of relief when I swapped back to it lol. It’s damn sure more comfortable and the wider field of view (even a few degrees) feels more airy for lack of a better word. Still, if it wasn’t cross eyed I’d keep the Reverb. Oh, Windows Mixed Reality Sucks.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Curious. I had one of the original batch which worked perfectly but worried me due to the issues with overheating. It did once I very hot weather when I left it on (flickering screen until it cooled down) without any fans on.

So when the face plate started to peel I took the opportunity to get it replaced under warranty and got one of the new batch.

All fine although in DCS I felt a very slight misalignment (most noticeable when I took the head set off). So I used the DCS WMR debug tool to set the left & right the same and all has been fine in DCS since. It does lead me to believe the tolerances of the Reverbs are very wide.

The lenses are only canted very slightly - the Index is 5 degrees whereas my original Reverb was just 0.5. My new Reverb is just 0.2 according to the HMDQ tool. It might be worth you running this and see what yours says.

https://github.com/risa2000/hmdq/releases

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Yeah, crystal clear. I had it set to very high quality, highest resolution and 90Hz in the Mixed reality portal. SteamVR custom resolution at 150% and that’s it. When I held it to the side and it was aligned, it was crystal clear. This was in the Viper. Also, I had NO aliasing compared to the Index and MSAA was off. Didn’t need it at all. I’ve been using the openVR debug tool and adjusting the left lens left for about 5 hours starting with the last decimal point lol. I just can’t get it to not be distractingly cross eyed. I’ve gone so far left now that the zoom pulls to the left.

I don’t get it. I’ve set the Reverb to 59 IPD which is the minimum. My index only goes to 58 but has zero cross eyed effect in DCS. Just 1mm. The cross eyed effect is so bad I can’t keep the headset on without at least swapping the top/bottom which helps. I gave up on the slider and instead began editing in Notepad++. I’d really like it to work but after trying literally every tweak on these forums it remains cross eyed. I even changed from parallel to raw in SteamVR settings.

The last thing I’ll try tomorrow is copy the openVR debug defaults from my Index to the Reverb. I doubt it will work because the lenses are canted slightly different but what the hell.

I will say the Index is still good visually but nowhere near as clear as the Reverb. It has more aliasing for sure. Overall I’m not unhappy with it, in fact I breathed a sigh of relief when I swapped back to it lol. It’s damn sure more comfortable and the wider field of view (even a few degrees) feels more airy for lack of a better word. Still, if it wasn’t cross eyed I’d keep the Reverb. Oh, Windows Mixed Reality Sucks.

Wow that really sounds promising. My Reverb arrives Friday and I hope I come to the same conclusion you have regarding visuals. Really hope you can get yours squared away. I have an IPD of 60 so I'm on the bottom end of the scale for sure and I hope that doesn't doom me.

There is a utility for this that ED provides support for this
I believe this is what Wicked was referring to with openVR debug tool

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Yep, it’s the same tool. Using the Index default values from openVR debug tool is my last resort. One observation I’ve made is I can physically move the headset left OR right on my face and the image clears up. This leads me to believe it’s not my eyesight that is messed up. Also, there is no cross eyed effect outside of DCS. The SteamVR and WMR houses look fine. As soon as I load into DCS the image is so bad I can barely read the options on the debug tool. I don’t remember it being this bad with my previous Reverb. It was only slightly cross eyed but enough for me to send it back. This was before a saw the thread from BigNewy about openVR debug tool.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can you ask someone else to replicate the problem with it set to default values? I.e. did you get a bum unit or is it you?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

By any chance have you previously enabled the single stereo parser in graphics.lua?

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true

By any chance have you previously enabled the single stereo parser in graphics.lua?

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true

Not that I remember. I may have tried it when I had my Pimax 5K+ but I've reformatted at least twice since then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone know which file contains the IPD values for Windows Mixed Reality? I've tried to set the IPD in headset display settings to 58 but it bumps it back to 59. Is there around to change this minimum value?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Stupid question, have you tried not setting the ipd on the hmd settings, just leaving it at default.. I also set my eyes to be identical using the cross eyed tool

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

You can try the regdit, but, I think the ipd setting is currently broken in wmr...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I spent a good ten hours trying every possible fix listed here with no joy. I can’t tell if it might be an old setting from my index that didn’t get removed or if 1mm really makes that big of a difference. I did try the default setting of 63.xx or something like that but it was still cross eyed in DCS. In the SteamVR house and WMR house it was fine and felt like it was maybe a millimeter off. In DCS however it was unusable. As I’ve said before, I really haven’t had the issues with the Index that others have. Of course we all want more clarity but the overall experience has proven to me I have the best HMD for my eyesight and it is worlds more comfortable than the Reverb. Not to mention the sound and FOV is much better as well. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions but I’m selling it to a buddy so he can practice flying his real RC planes in VR. It should handle that without issue lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I spent a good ten hours trying every possible fix listed here with no joy. I can’t tell if it might be an old setting from my index that didn’t get removed or if 1mm really makes that big of a difference. I did try the default setting of 63.xx or something like that but it was still cross eyed in DCS. In the SteamVR house and WMR house it was fine and felt like it was maybe a millimeter off. In DCS however it was unusable. As I’ve said before, I really haven’t had the issues with the Index that others have. Of course we all want more clarity but the overall experience has proven to me I have the best HMD for my eyesight and it is worlds more comfortable than the Reverb. Not to mention the sound and FOV is much better as well. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions but I’m selling it to a buddy so he can practice flying his real RC planes in VR. It should handle that without issue lol.

Glad you decided at last!

My opinion is that the Index is not ‘worlds’ more comfortable, nor ‘much’ better sound and FOV, just a bit better in all of these aspects.

I tried my Index again just before I sold it, and that confirmed to me that the clarity of the Reverb still puts it top. Still, I haven’t experienced the cross-eyed thing you talk about.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box