Rift - when I "set down" my headset and come back it is dark. Veteran VR DC User

redmantab

Fellow VR pilots,

Dk2, Rift, now Rift 2. Years in ED and other VR sims. Love it. I've lived with this issue for some time and have been meaning to put up a post, searching for a solution, for well over 1 year.

Let's say I'm in VR with my rift. Flying DCS. In a mission, but have to answer a phone call. No worries, pause DCS and ....here's where it all starts.

- When I remove headset and just tilt it up on my head like a pair of glasses, or even move it just a bit down to my shoulders while I field a phone call, I can take a call etc and then put headset back on and continue. works every time.

- When I set headset down in my lap or on the floor to use the restroom, spend a few minutes with real life, and then put my headset back on....it's a gamble. about 30% of the time I can pick it back up. Most the time, the screen is black, white light is still on, DCS isn't crashed on my monitor etc....but I can't get my headset to re-engage. It seems the further my headset moves from its original spot the lower the chances are of being able to re engage successfully.

I've experienced this with all of my rifts on 2 different high end gaming rigs. Please tell me somewhere, somehow, there is a solution to setting my rift down....handling real life biz for a few minutes, and then simply returning to DCS where I can pick up where I left off.

Thank you in advance and Happy New Years!

Can't say I have had that happen on my end, however it is not often I put it down with game paused for a while. Have on a few occasions and it has come back on for me.

Make sure you click on the DCS window on monitor before putting back on just in case it lost focus.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Can't say I have had that happen on my end, however it is not often I put it down with game paused for a while. Have on a few occasions and it has come back on for me.

Make sure you click on the DCS window on monitor before putting back on just in case it lost focus.

Ty for the reply. Of course I've clicked the DCS window...no joy.

Two thoughts occur .

One is USB power management . Windows has the ability to "put to sleep" unused USB ports . You can disable this function in Windows settings .

Another possibility is that Oculus is turning the headset off to prevent screen burn-in .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Two thoughts occur .

One is USB power management . Windows has the ability to "put to sleep" unused USB ports . You can disable this function in Windows settings .

Another possibility is that Oculus is turning the headset off to prevent screen burn-in .

Hmmm. Thank you. I have no idea how to check on these concepts and see if that is my issue. I would have to imagine this is a normal issue with other rift users and would hope some others have experienced this and have a resolution?

I think that Rift-S is turning the screen off while not on your head (and layed aside) is normal, i have that too. But it comes to life again everytime i put it back on my head.

Power Management: Control Panel -> Power Options -> Pick the active powerplan -> Advanced power settings -> USB settings -> set to disable -> Apply.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I think that Rift-S is turning the screen off while not on your head (and layed aside) is normal, i have that too. But it comes to life again everytime i put it back on my head.

Power Management: Control Panel -> Power Options -> Pick the active powerplan -> Advanced power settings -> USB settings -> set to disable -> Apply.

Thank you. Already have this as disabled. I now recall having done this some time ago. Any other ideas?