End of Windows 7 support by Oculus!

TAW_Impalor

Hi guys. My Oculus Home just updated to version 12.1 and told me it will stop working on my Windows 7 after January 14, 2020! Try putting off the update if you are like myself happy with Windows 7.

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

You really can't put off updating the Oculus software.

It will be coming like it or not.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For windows 8.1 the death call was even earlier .. a month ago the oculus software stopped working on that OS:

dd8rtiI.jpg

I was forced to upgrade to windows 10 :( ... as there was no workaround.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 weeks later...

Well. I installed Windows 10, all drivers and DCS, but CANNOT install Oculus ((( When asked to proceed in VR, it is just dark. Tried to reinstall three times already, cleaning all folders, registry. Windows Defender off, all that stuff as per troubleshoots. Facebook support is useless. My Rift still works fine with Windows 7 install which I cloned to a spare HDD (dead slow!). Furious, came to went here (((

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

I never realised that Oculus ever supported Win7, I think you've had a good run there. Win10 is fine, just go with it. Do you have any compelling reason to stick with Win7? The oldest software I run is CorelDraw 9 from about 15 years ago and it runs fine.

edit: There's obviously a problem but Oculus and Win10 play nicely on most systems, there must be something unique about your setup. Are you saying Oculus works but just not in DCS or does it not work at all?

Edited by John Hargreaves

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

In my experience 99% of the problems people have with windows 10 come from all the shit they do trying to avoid updates or paranoid counter surveillance bullshit.

First question would be if you are running an overclock.

You can run an OC without issue for weeks, then update a driver and presto BSOD.

Before install disconnect USB devices, especially the rift.

If that fails do a clean install, download the windows media creation tool and make a bootable USB medium and a clean wipe of system drive.

Being happy running windows 7 now is like saying your happy with gout, you don't really need that right foot for walking or anything.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Thanks for your replies. I did figure out what was wrong with my setup! Windows 10 kept installing some random version of Nvidia driver via its updates. Had to yank the cable out while running DDU / reinstall. Now all is fine.

Edited by impalor

Thanks for your replies. I did figure out what was wrong with my setup! Windows 10 kept installing some random version of Nvidia driver via its updates. Had to yank the cable out while running DDU / reinstall. Now all is fine.

Yeah first rule of thumb when using DDU to clean out drivers - disconnect the ethernet cable.

When I do this I always have the latest Nvidia drivers downloaded, and after removing via DDU and then restarted, I install the new drivers. Then connect the ethernet cable back in.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

When you head over to Windows 10, be sure to do much research on removing the crap and spyware within the OS...it's not that hard and surely worth it. Keeps unwanted software from auto-reinstalling on it. I used C-Cleaner to successfully and permanently remove unwanted features from Windows 10...Good Luck!

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When you head over to Windows 10, be sure to do much research on removing the crap and spyware within the OS...it's not that hard and surely worth it. Keeps unwanted software from auto-reinstalling on it. I used C-Cleaner to successfully and permanently remove unwanted features from Windows 10...Good Luck!

Surely did that. I also have a laptop that came with Windows 10, so it's not totally new for me.

There IS a way to keep Oculus from updating... block it with the Windows Firewall. Also means you won't have to deal with the store loading when all you want to do is fly.

I don't use the Rift S for anything except DCS.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

There IS a way to keep Oculus from updating... block it with the Windows Firewall. Also means you won't have to deal with the store loading when all you want to do is fly.

I don't use the Rift S for anything except DCS.

Oculus Home can easily be turned off in the Oculus Home options so it never loads...

I have never understood the big deal though, I just launch Oculus software then minimize, launch DCS and put my headset on. Oculus Home fades to gray anyway when game is launched.

Don B

There IS a way to keep Oculus from updating... block it with the Windows Firewall.

Great idea! I also kill all its processes on boot and only launch before flying. Rift camera turning on at logon used to freak out me and my wife!

Great idea! I also kill all its processes on boot and only launch before flying. Rift camera turning on at logon used to freak out me and my wife!

LOL gotta watch out for those black helicopters...

Don B

Oculus Home can easily be turned off in the Oculus Home options so it never loads...

I did not find this in settings of Oculus Home. Could you explain? I use Oculus Tray Tool to minimize it, but 'Homeless' does not seem to work.

My Rift still works with WIN 8.1 - the error message can be ignored.

The error window cannot be closed though, it keeps on popping up.

Support end does not mean the Oculus software stops working.

It just means that Oculus will no longer guarantee it will work flawlessly in the future.