Marianas islands Map

Silver_Dragon

If water can look that good, please update caucasus sea textures as well

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Crap, now I will have to buy another SSD :P

exactly! :):cry: I currently have a 1TB NVMe dedicated to DCS alone...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

@flankerMcGiftHorseDentist - thanks for that. U R 2 cool 4 me, kiddo!

Speaking myself, "Thank you, Eagle Dynamics! You guys consistently impress me with your dedication to the hobby and the community. I appreciate this additional content, and wish y'all a Happy New Year!"

(See, flankyMcSpanky? Was that so hard?)

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Viper :: F-14 Tomcat :: F-18 Hornet :: A-10C Warthog :: AV-8B Harrier II :: AJS-37 Viggen :: Ka-50 Black Shark

vCG-1 callsign: Cloudy

This new map sounds good to me. It would be great if we see a few more naval units to put in it as well at some point :)

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Win10 x64, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 1600X @3.60 GHz, 500 GB SSD, GeForce 1080 Ti

Everything that grows and offers variety is good news. However, I have almost no space left in the SSD and I had to uninstall some maps and modules to prioritize what I'm flying. I only hope that the installation is optional, because the space I have left is reserved for the super operator and the "possible" scenarios of current conflicts, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Algeria ...

Edited by atazar

Thanks ED. Great choice :thumbup: I will certainly enjoy flying there!

From the newsletter:

For this new map, we want to use our latest map technologies [...]

What will be improved compared to the other maps already in game?

Thanks.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Nice one. Really!

I wonder if the release date will be tied with Supercarrier release just like P47 with it's new WW2 map...

Thanks ED! Seems go be a really interesting outlook for DCS in 2020.

Happy New Year to all!

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I love new maps. And having already crash landed my Harrier in the Caucasus, Normandy, Nevada, and the Persian Gulf, I look forward to crash landing it in the Pacific.

I want to go 5 for 5.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

First of all, I want to point out that I like the screenshots and that I will probably download the map; if there won't be enough space in my SSD I could buy another one, after all nowadays they are quite cheap.

However, I would also like to give a little support to flanker1's opinion because I think he has a point and that you have answered his comment with too much negativity.

ED, I am a fanboy since the first piece of the flanker series, but what a waste of ressources. . . sorry. . . no one needs that. never heard before that this island is ever existing in real world. . . why no area with historical background, e.g. cold war, balkans. . . i dont need a holiday map.

The fact that a DCS user talks about "waste of resources" sounds legit to me. There are people who are waiting for bug fixing and for the completion of EA modules and so one could think that maybe creating a map whose utility is questionable is a wrong way of managing ED's resources.

I, myself, don't feel able to judge that and if ED has chosen to develop this map for free instead of doing something else I guess that they have their reasons and that they surely don't have to explain those reasons to the users.

I just wanted to say that you can disagree with the opinion quoted above, but it makes some sense.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

Everything that grows and offers variety is good news. However, I have almost no space left in the SSD and I had to uninstall some maps and modules to prioritize what I'm flying. I only hope that the installation is optional, because the space I have left is reserved for the super operator and the "possible" scenarios of current conflicts, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Algeria ...

If those maps ever come out...

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Afghanistan and Syria are confirmed, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah they're confirmed, Syria is being worked on by Ugra Media, the same guys as Normandy.

They have yet to share any news, updates, nothing other than its confirmed

:thumbup:

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

but it makes some sense.

But it doesn't really. Its like complaining that Samsung released a new TV when their cell phone has some design issues they need to resolve.

This is explained a million times in forum posts and facebook comments etc but people seem to think that the generic term "software developer" means that all devs can do all tasks so why is ED building a new map when there is a bug in the F18s radar.

Its like saying an engineer who works on the construction of bridges has the same skills and abilities as the engineer who designs car batteries.

And that alone avoids the myth of bug free code in large software projects. If any company with a large software project made sure their code was perfect before building anything new they would quickly go out of business. All software companies must work on a scale of spending resources on bugs/maintenance vs new features/development.

What Redfor planes would be available for a marianas map without any "mental gymnastics" ? Oh yes, none...

Warbirds...well I guess some P51s were stationed there - but weren't they "H" models slated for use during Operation Olympic and never used in WW2?

Obviously the Corsair when it arrives...

I know its free, but seriously underwhelming - do the mapmakers not look at what modules will be available and what AI Units/assets to populate them?

Airbag_signatur.png

What Redfor planes would be available for a marianas map without any "mental gymnastics" ? Oh yes, none...

Warbirds...well I guess some P51s were stationed there - but weren't they "H" models slated for use during Operation Olympic and never used in WW2?

Obviously the Corsair when it arrives...

I know its free, but seriously underwhelming - do the mapmakers not look at what modules will be available and what AI Units/assets to populate them?

Just pretend that China and the US went to war and enlisted Russia's help. Most if not all MP PvP servers will have much more "mental gymnastics" when it comes to aircraft selection for each side, much like they do now. Hopefully we'll get some Japanese warbirds in the future.

I also sincerely hope that this map is optional for download is it would seem cruel and unusual to force a free product on those who insist it's no good. There's a sating quite a few "fans" of DCS should learn. "never look a gift horse in the mouth" seriously, google it.

Its not that theres anything wrong with a free map...but as there are only 4 "Conflict" maps in DCS (NTTR being training only) is Marianas really the best option?

There's little tactical avaiation interest in reality is there? As a broad summary - its a base for B52s and Tankers, targetted by D21s...

I know that's a little picky...but its creation doesn't exactly scream "joined up" thinking to me...

Airbag_signatur.png

But it doesn't really. Its like complaining that Samsung released a new TV when their cell phone has some design issues they need to resolve.

This is explained a million times in forum posts and facebook comments etc but people seem to think that the generic term "software developer" means that all devs can do all tasks so why is ED building a new map when there is a bug in the F18s radar.

Its like saying an engineer who works on the construction of bridges has the same skills and abilities as the engineer who designs car batteries.

And that alone avoids the myth of bug free code in large software projects. If any company with a large software project made sure their code was perfect before building anything new they would quickly go out of business. All software companies must work on a scale of spending resources on bugs/maintenance vs new features/development.

Rereading my post, I think that I haven't expressed exactly what I meant.

The EA/buggy state of some ED products was just an example.

I could answer that for instance the maps theirselves could be improved:

damage model of runways bombed with either instantaneous or delayed bombs is quite poor.

Another problem: ground friction. A lot o f people have mentioned the fact that when you taxi with an aircraft in DCS, it needs too much power to start moving. And I really can't believe that an F15 in the grass won't budge unless you apply full thrust and sometimes it won't move even with full afterburner (at least last time I checked there was this issue). Couldn't those maps expert fix those problems for instance?

So now you or someone else could make me notice that there is another point that I have missed and then I could reply back and you know what? Probably at the end of the day you are right, because I think that if ED, the real expert here, has chosen to create this map, then they must have had good reasons.

On the other hand, and that's the concept that I consider the main one here, if an end user doesn't like a product, it's importnat that he has the right to politely express it on the forum, so that ED can consider it. After all, they are working in order to satisfy us, so IMHO polite criticism will actually help ED, because they have to know how to use their resources to satisfy us. If I think that it would be better to have a better friction model than a new free Marianas islands map, where's the problem if I state this? It's ED's problem to know whether they can use the same resources or not, but at least they'll know what we want.

Edited by BlackLightning
always wise to add details/clarify in these cases

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

I also sincerely hope that this map is optional for download is it would seem cruel and unusual to force a free product on those who insist it's no good. There's a sating quite a few "fans" of DCS should learn. "never look a gift horse in the mouth" seriously, google it.

I do not consider it a bad map or a bad job, but because of the space I have in the SSD and the role of fourth generation player, I prefer current and real conflict scenarios. It does not seem bad to me that they do it, but I would like that the download was optional to be able to choose.