Deck color

Reflected

Although you may be right, comparing photo's is difficult due to lighting effect (picture taken during a sunny or cloudy day and with a high or low shutter speed, will make a world of difference)

E.g. this deck looks lighter:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/navy-pilot-aircraft-carrier-flight-deck-landings-in-rough-seas-2019-9

Or this one

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/5571954/aircraft-performs-touch-and-go-maneuver-flight-deck

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I'm sure a carriers flight deck color is asphalt black-ghost gray-ish... At least on the landing area. BTW I also noticed alot of oil slicks. I hope these could be used (texture template for the surfaces).

I could be wrong though.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Looks WIP to me, I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

If you think that it being WIP means you don't need to leave feedback and that everything will magically appear fixed and fine upon release... well, you're in for a rude awakening because chances are you're looking at the release textures here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you think that it being WIP means you don't need to leave feedback and that everything will magically appear fixed and fine upon release... well, you're in for a rude awakening because chances are you're looking at the release textures here.

I think it being WIP means that it's WIP. As in not final. As in subject to change. As in no reason to get our panties in a bunch when it's not even available to download yet. That's all.

Calling it awful is pretty inflammatory and not really constructive.

The deck colors change all the time. After new non-skid is laid in the shipyard, the deck looks great. We have to scrub it at sea. It turns a little ashy after that. And on deployment, it just depends on the conditions. I've worked on these flight decks my entire life. This one is fine although a WIP.

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

I think it being WIP means that it's WIP. As in not final. As in subject to change. As in no reason to get our panties in a bunch when it's not even available to download yet. That's all.

Calling it awful is pretty inflammatory and not really constructive.

+1

I wonder how many actually served on a carrier and can call it awful? lol

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Although you may be right, comparing photo's is difficult due to lighting effect (picture taken during a sunny or cloudy day and with a high or low shutter speed, will make a world of difference)

E.g. this deck looks lighter:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/navy-pilot-aircraft-carrier-flight-deck-landings-in-rough-seas-2019-9

Or this one

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/5571954/aircraft-performs-touch-and-go-maneuver-flight-deck

Look at the difference in coulour in the deck at the end of cat 3 and 4 in the first photo. I guess part of that is new, and much darker.

It looks fine to me. It starts to look more faded the longer it has been applied. The constant sun bleaching, chemicals such as fuel, oil, hydraulic fluid, Turco, and even salt from the environment cause the color to fade rather quickly.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Actually, it should be lighter:

I averaged deck surface colours for both rl photo and dcs screenshot.

I'd be interested in the technique you used. It's a great idea to average colors. However, I don't understand why you used a photo where the sun is reflected in the deck. Google "USS Theodore Roosevelt" and you'll find some really dark photos:

image.jpg

aircraft-carrier-uss-theodore-roosevelt-cvn-71-1.jpg

USS-Theodore-Roosevelt-CVN-71.jpg

USS-Theodore-Roosevelt.png

I'd be interested in the technique you used. It's a great idea to average colors. However, I don't understand why you used a photo where the sun is reflected in the deck. Google "USS Theodore Roosevelt" and you'll find some really dark photos:

Still, they are all pictures taken at certain day times and conditions.

Personally I attach more value to a comment like "Jackjack171" made, as apparently he has actually been working on an aircraft carrier for a longer period and not just saw one on pictures or as a a relic museum piece.

No offence meant, but maybe this thread belongs to the wish section, as it seems not everyone agrees with you that the deck needs to be darker

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Looks great. Could you pls give me a link to this? :smilewink:

+1! :)

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 1 year later...

I was able to get a pretty realistic deck color (or at least one that I personally favor) by by tweaking Deck_Base.dds.  I simply cannot figure out how to cover the rest of it. Those missing pieces are either roughmet or some other file I'm overlooking.Screen_211117_173929.png

• Like 2

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S