Best missions for the F18?

swimbody

Hey folks, I know there are several choices of missions and campaigns out there. Which ones are a must and ok for a learning, eager newbie to fly and enjoy?

How about any learning campaigns like Maple Flag did in the past for the A-10? Those were fantastic.

Edit: Looked up Maple Flag and voila they have BFM tutorials...I will be dl'ing those today. Any others out there folks are proud of? I don't want to fly gates, i want to learn how to put LGBs on target.

Edited by swimbody

The Bridges of Belsan is a decent one for LGB's, but requires you to be able to located the target.

The Paveway II laser guided practice is good, should be included with the factory training/missions I believe. If not, quick search for it is probably doable.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Off the top of my head, Eastern Friendship is a good beginner campaign (you still need to be familiar with the systems etc). After you get more familiar with the jet, including air refueling, try Operation Exigent Riviera (OER).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

There's a pretty decent built in campaign for the hornet. I think it's only 5 missions long, but it's quite interesting.

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

Off the top of my head, Eastern Friendship is a good beginner campaign (you still need to be familiar with the systems etc). After you get more familiar with the jet, including air refueling, try Operation Exigent Riviera (OER).

This entirely - for OER is great but would be overwhelming for a newcomer. EF is fantastic though still reasonably tough (a reminder of why being in AAA and MANPAD range is so dangerous!), fortunately systems wise it is pretty simple and you quickly get to practise a lot of aspects of the Hornet.

There is a Red Flag campaign as well which seems pretty good. The paid Aggressors BFM campaign is ok.

I love Dire Straits personally. It’s at night but there’s a full moon, so you don’t need NVGs. It’s a two ship pre-planned JDAM strike on Bandar Abbas. Lots of room for improvisation and adaptation.

Edit: Use the ME to set your wingman to unlimited fuel, unless you want to tank up.

Edited by shawnyp420

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS X570-PLUS, NVidia RTX 2080, 32GB DDR4 @2400MHz, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Corsair H100i cooler, Oculus Rift S.