Radar tutorial mission problems

roodie

Hey all,

I picked up the Mirage 2000C module a year ago, and went through the tutorials until M10, and can't remember any problems, I was doing just fine (okay, with the low vis landing maybe not so fine at first :-D). Then I stopped for more than a year since I didn't have time to play. I installed the game 2 weeks ago, and decided to redo the tutorials to re-familiarize myself with the module.

My problems are with the radar operation tutorial. First I found the 2 Mirages, but couldn't cage them (radar was in HFR mode, and double-checked my control settings). Restarted the game and the scenario, and now it worked fine.

I flied to WP4 but couldn't find the L-29 pair. I've spent half an hour circling around it, playing with the radar settings, but nothing. Restarted the scenario, same story. My speed was around 300 knots, at angels 25. Tried HFR and INT modes, tried to change the radar elevation, didn't matter, couldn't find them.

Then I turned to WP5 and able to find the F-16 pair after circling around again for more than 5 minutes, but I was unable to cage any of them, they didn't react to IIF, and once they disappeared from the radar screen, I couldn't find them again around the waypoint. I gave up at this point.

I don't remember having these problems a year ago. I am using the latest stable version of DCS World (2.5.5).

What did I miss? If nothing, do you have any advice finding those L-29s?

Update - I've checked with TacView - the L-39 pair spawn at the mission start; then they immediately descend to 16 500 feet. But the radio hint says: "WP4: 2x L-39, hostile, 25 000 feet", and I was following in blindly... :-)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...