Looking to upgrade PC

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my PC. Whilist in the past I've followed the latest technology, I haven't since this has held up well. I upgraded from a 1070 GTX to a 2080 GTX Super recently and started playing games in 4k on my TV and I feel I'm getting bottlenecks.

My current build:

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz 1.37v (I feel i've broken it as peak temputurers reach 85c during full load after overclocked for two weeks, maybe improved cooler might help?)

RTX 2080 SUPER (EVGA)

Gigabyte Z270-HD3P-CF

16.0GB 3200Mhz (16-16-16-36)

70in Samsung 4k TV

Help and guidance on CPU, Mobo and cooler much appericated

I would get another 16GB of matching RAM and you should get a new H110 Corsair Cooler and make sure you do the Thermal Paste perfectly. Your system is pretty decent for DCS.

Also, ensure that you have cool air coming in from the bottom front and back and try to exhaust hot air up through the top. Us one of those heat vent deflectors to push the air away from you under your desk or next to your monitor.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If not done when over locking, Cheapest thing to try is remove the cpu cooler then Clean fan and heatsink of dust.

Clean cpu and heatsink of paste (rubbing/isopropyl alcohol)

Replace with new thermal paste.

Clean out the rest of the pc and graphics card and case fans.

If you did all that two weeks ago, you're asking too much of the cpu, or too much for your cooling setup. In which case, either reduce the overclock, or add cooling.

As far as cpu coolers go, you'll get many differing views. I've had good luck with the hyper Evo 212, but many say it's crap. There's a newer cheapish one that everyone recommends but couldn't get it in Australia, so I've forgotton it's name. There's some great YouTube reviews where they test same scenarios over and over with different coolers.

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME

What cooler are you using?

If your case supports it, an AIO cooler is probably your best option. But if you're looking to save some cash, grab a Scythe Mugen 5 air cooler. Its simple to install, affordable and it preforms well.

If not done when over locking, Cheapest thing to try is remove the cpu cooler then Clean fan and heatsink of dust.

Clean cpu and heatsink of paste (rubbing/isopropyl alcohol)

Replace with new thermal paste.

Clean out the rest of the pc and graphics card and case fans.

If you did all that two weeks ago, you're asking too much of the cpu, or too much for your cooling setup. In which case, either reduce the overclock, or add cooling.

As far as cpu coolers go, you'll get many differing views. I've had good luck with the hyper Evo 212, but many say it's crap. There's a newer cheapish one that everyone recommends but couldn't get it in Australia, so I've forgotton it's name. There's some great YouTube reviews where they test same scenarios over and over with different coolers.

I would go a step further by de-lidding the CPU's heat shield.

See: https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/collections/complete-delid-relid-kit-for-i7-8700k

On my system, there was a significant temp drop by replacing the thermal paste the comes with the cpu.

That is, if the OP is worried about heat.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1