Hello from Germany [newbie]

roxxdahouse

Hello everyone!

Wanted to say hello, let you know a little bit about me and ask a few questions.

I'm from germany, so I'm not a native english speaker, hopefully you'll be able understand me. I'm 36 years old and interested in avaition, and military aviation in special, for a while now. I started RC flying a few years ago and I'm into RC jets for a few years. Most of them are so called sport jets but also got a F-16 in 1/8 scale.

Due to bad weather in winter I was looking for something related to jets and a buddy came up with DCS. Tried it and got totally catched. At the moment I'm waiting for the computer to arrive and already orderer other stuff. Besides the computer, setup will be the Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek Pedals, TrackIR. I'd like to start and focus on the F-18 since it looks like it's a good allrounder for air-to-air and air-to-ground. And I really look forward to carrier operations.

On other forums I learned to use the search function very first. But actually I don't know if it's my bad english or the wrong place, so I hopefully my place my first two questions here.

Regarding controls: Is there a profile for the Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle for the F-18 that comes directly with DCS or the module?

Regarding TrackIR: any information about the maximum degrees for moving the head around in cockpiton the axis? left/right, up/down etc. Or just setup the TrackIR how it feels most comfortable for me?

I guess there will be more questions once everything is here and first training missions are done.

Thanks in advance and hope to see you in the skies.

Markus

Welcome!

Yes, Warthog stuff should be already preconfigured in modules but you still need to check what and how it is binded.

Depends on the software and version probably but you should get from TiR +/-180 horizontal and about +120/-90 vertical. Of course you can setup how you want it.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hey and welcome to DCS and the forums Markus!

It's always nice to see new people finding their way into DCS! :)

Not sure if you already know, but this forum also has a rather active german speaking area, which even has a dedicated discussion thread for the Hornet. So feel free to post there as well if english should be a problem ;)

Now to your questions:

1) Yes, there's a preset default profile for the Hornet and the TM Warthog. It should automatically be condigured once you install the Hornet and launch DCS with the TM Warthog connected.

2) The maximum degree for moving the head around in the cockpit with TrackIR depends on your TrackIR settings. In theory it's possible that you set it up in a way that allows you to spin your head around multiple times in the cockpit :D

The default TrackIR is usally a good starting point and if neccessary you can make adjustments as needed to suit your environment, as it all depends on your setup (head position, sensor distance, ...).

I hope you will have a lot of fun flying around in DCS :)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hello and welcome!

Regarding controls:

AFAIK there are no (good) bindings out of the box for the TM Warthog HOTAS. You can look up some in the user files section.

Or just watch Wags

, where he explains and sets up his TM Warthog HOTAS for the Hornet.

Uhm, ED has created dedicated default controls for the TM Warthog and they are actually pretty good (maybe not perfect, but that also depends on personal preference).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

1) Yes, there's a preset default profile for the Hornet and the TM Warthog. It should automatically be condigured once you install the Hornet and launch DCS with the TM Warthog connected

My bad, seems ED has added them later. I have the Hornet since day 1 and can remember having to set up everything.

So the correct answer is like QuiGon said, Hornet has binding for TM Warthog :)

wow!

thanks for the warm welcome and your input regarding my questions :)

@QuoGon: thanks for your advice about the german section. Just wanted to take chance and place my first questions here. do you know if there is a printable file for the standard Hornet setup that comes with DCS (or module)? Like these: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7aNnb-u_eZ1RkxsX28wNEFRUUk/edit https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7aNnb-u_eZ1ZHJlY2dlWUl4TkE/edit

thanks and always happy landings

Markus

wow!

thanks for the warm welcome and your input regarding my questions :)

@QuoGon: thanks for your advice about the german section. Just wanted to take chance and place my first questions here. do you know if there is a printable file for the standard Hornet setup that comes with DCS (or module)? Like these: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7aNnb-u_eZ1RkxsX28wNEFRUUk/edit https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7aNnb-u_eZ1ZHJlY2dlWUl4TkE/edit

thanks and always happy landings

Markus

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any such file. There's a depiction of the real life Hornet HOTAS setup in the manual (which you can find in the DCS installation folder under DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F/A-18C Hornet\Doc). Maybe that helps as well.

Then there is Chucks Guide which has a depiction of his own setup recommendation. I haven't checked, but if you're lucky he's actually using and depicting the default Warthog setup in his Hornet guide, but I'm not sure.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any such file. There's a depiction of the real life Hornet HOTAS setup in the manual (which you can find in the DCS installation folder under DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F/A-18C Hornet\Doc). Maybe that helps as well.

Then there is Chucks Guide which has a depiction of his own setup recommendation. I haven't checked, but if you're lucky he's actually using and depicting the default Warthog setup in his Hornet guide, but I'm not sure.

thanks for the fast reply. I'll check it out :)

Welcome Roxxdahouse:pilotfly:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas.