tcs tracking question

eatthis

Yes, you can. You can use the HCU in TCS mode to lock a target with the TCS.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

hcu? is this backseat jargon?

"Backseat jargo", I like that :lol:

But yeah, that's what it is.

ah thanks, can i get jester to do this or is human only?

Human only (for now). 99% of my flight hours in the DCS Tomcat are backseat flying and me and my pilot buddy had quite a few successes using the TGP for sneak attacks in multiplayer :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

haven't tried yet but try this:

- tell Jester to turn off the radar

- lock the aircraft with AIM-9 by using SEAM/CAGE button

- Jester should lock TCS on the target :)

EDIT: Nah, not working...

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

haven't tried yet but try this:

- tell Jester to turn off the radar

- lock the aircraft with AIM-9 by using SEAM/CAGE button

- Jester should lock TCS on the target :)

What makes you think that Jester does that? AFAIK Jester doesn't do anything with the TCS besides switching between Narrow and Wide FOV.

Tornado3 small.jpg

What makes you think that Jester does that? AFAIK Jester doesn't do anything with the TCS besides switching between Narrow and Wide FOV.

i know he slaves it to the radar so if you lock it then the camera tracks it

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

i know he slaves it to the radar so if you lock it then the camera tracks it

No, he does not. The TCS does that entirely by itself in the default setting (TCS slaved to radar), which Jester doesn't change. So Jester himself is doing absolutly nothing in this regard and there is no slave to Sidewinder mode anyways, so without the radar you can only TCS-lock targets manually, which Jester doesn't do.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

No, he does not. The TCS does that entirely by itself in the default setting (TCS slaved to radar), which Jester doesn't change. So Jester himself is doing absolutly nothing in this regard and there is no slave to Sidewinder mode anyways, so without the radar you can only TCS-lock targets manually, which Jester doesn't do.

thanks for the clarification :thumbup:

iv goit a tacan questionnext :megalol:

If you're with jester, you can get an stt lock, and then TCS will be slaved to the radar, and lock the target. If you then loose lock, TCS will maintain the (TCS) lock, giving you the position of the target on the TCS display, and the HUD

To do more with TCS, you're gonna need a human RIO.

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

If you're with jester, you can get an stt lock, and then TCS will be slaved to the radar, and lock the target. If you then loose lock, TCS will maintain the (TCS) lock, giving you the position of the target on the TCS display, and the HUD

This is true until this certain point.

Now, in the current OpenBeta using Jester, if I as the pilot drop away the target, and immediately thereafter lock another one using e.g. PLM, the TCS camera stays on the old target!! This was not the case a few month before. Did anyone of you notice this behavior of Jester too?

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

This is true until this certain point.

Now, in the current OpenBeta using Jester, if I as the pilot drop away the target, and immediately thereafter lock another one using e.g. PLM, the TCS camera stays on the old target!! This was not the case a few month before. Did anyone of you notice this behavior of Jester too?

Again, this is not something that Jester does. It's the TCS that is doing this on its own without RIO input.

Now regarding the actual behaviour of the TCS (keeping lock on an old target when a new target gets radar-STTed), I'm not sure on how it currently works and how it should work (there have been some changes to TCS behaviour in the past few months). I haven't STTed two targets in a row for quite some time as I mostly have used TWS lately, but I will check on that when I can.

Edit:

According to gyrovague, the TCS will stay locked on its current target in AUTO SEARCH and SEARCH acquisition modes (and one of them is the default mode that Jester uses), even if a new target gets radar-STTed (see bold part in quote). That means the RIO either needs to use MANUAL acquisiton mode, to prevent the TCS from retaining a lock on its own and keeping it strictly slaved to radar LOS, or the RIO needs to break the old TCS lock manually by pressing half trigger momentarily while in TCS mode on the HCU.

Upon re-reading the last two pages of this thread, I think I need to state some further clarification: The AUTO and AUTO SRCH ACQ modes will indeed automatically try to get a TCS contrast lock on a target IF you're in the TCS slave mode (i.e. TCS slaved to radar, AND radar has STT, and TCS not already tracking). The MAN ACQ mode together with TCS slave and radar STT will only follow the radar and not acquire a TCS lock by itself, and this is the combination used for boresight trim alignment.

In the independent and radar slave modes, it requires half-action to slew TCS and full action to initiate an AUTO or AUTO SRCH or MANUAL acquisition.

The next patch also includes a small fix, the TCS LoS was accidentally not displayed on the HUD in the TCS slave mode.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

No. The best you can do to do that, is either:

-Have the RIO manually find the target with the TCS (jester can't do that)

-Lock the target STT and then break lock and go TWS. The TCS should continue tracking the target on it's own

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

No. The best you can do to do that, is either:

-Have the RIO manually find the target with the TCS (jester can't do that)

-Lock the target STT and then break lock and go TWS. The TCS should continue tracking the target on it's own

ive seen it keep tracking after breaking stt lock. does that work until you hit the gimbal limits then its gone?