HSI MODE Option

Swift.

Hi,

I have spoken to the dev team, and the full chart options will not be available. It will be limited to no map or air navigation map.

thanks

So, if I understand this correctly, TAMMAC and the corresponding HSI are planned, but without the ability to switch between CHRT, DTED and CIB?

I can live with that. If the rest of the TAMMAC functionality comes, that's going to be a huge improvement.

Is it because it's not possible to load different map tile textures in the same mission and switch between them on the fly? If so, I understand.

One idea would to choose the desired map type from the Special Options menu, the way the JF-17 does it, if that's not too much out of scope.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Yeah I can kinda understand not wanting to add the DTED and CIB options to the HSI, but the original point of this post before it was moved was as a bug report for the improper layout of the HSI>MODE subformat.

Is our hornet a TAMMAC equipped jet? Yes, because TAWS etc.

Do TAMMAC equipped jets have HSI MODE menus laid out like ours? No, the current way is reflective of a very old style

• Like 2

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• 4 weeks later...

Being able to load custom maps into the HSI map would really be great for realistic missions.

Seeing the 12nm line on an enemy coast on the HSI is currently not possible and if you want to make a mission that involves this, you need an ugly F10 workaround. 

Maybe with the Flightplanning tool thats coming ?

qDQcVvE.png

• Like 2

image.png

• 10 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 5:34 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

I have spoken to the dev team, and the full chart options will not be available. It will be limited to no map or air navigation map.

thanks

But, why? The terrain elevation data map already exists in in the aircraft in DCS. We can "select" it by adjusting the HSI/SA scale. Wouldn't it be quite simple to add the function to select the map? Again, it is already modeled, and can be displayed. 

Edited by Hulkbust44
  • Like 1

yea im curious why this wont be when Ah64D is supposed to get multiple map modes " Chart Satellite and moving maps via TSD? ( as per wags video) why cant this tech be applied to Hornet, When TAMMAC is supposed have multiple map types?

and as other pointed out the other map modes from editor/F10 map would go along ways to replicating this 

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

4 hours ago, Kev2go said:

yea im curious why this wont be when Ah64D is supposed to get multiple map modes " Chart Satellite and moving maps via TSD? ( as per wags video) why cant this tech be applied to Hornet, When TAMMAC is supposed have multiple map types?

and as other pointed out the other map modes from editor/F10 map would go along ways to replicating this 

My thoughts as well. If the ability to do so comes to DCS, the Hornet should definitely benefit from it. It'd be a shame if it doesn't.

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

• 1 month later...

Just as the title says, HSI "mode" sublevel says MAP instead of CHRT for AMPCD OSB 3. Note OSB 3 can say CHRT, CIB, or DTED. The functionality of toggling the map display should be moved to HSI OSB 6 replacing the position keeping source when in the "mode" sublevel. 

Reference A1-F18AC-NFM-000 page VII-24-9 and section 24.1.3.2.

CHRT.trk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

thanks
Hi BN,

After seeing that the Apache will actually have the option of changing between the three map types on the fly, maybe this is something that can be done for the Hornet as well? Seeing as the capability is now possible in-game.

Any update on the TAMMAC situation would definitely be appreciated.

Cheers
  • Like 1

-

• ED Team
54 minutes ago, Harker said:

Hi BN,

After seeing that the Apache will actually have the option of changing between the three map types on the fly, maybe this is something that can be done for the Hornet as well? Seeing as the capability is now possible in-game.

Any update on the TAMMAC situation would definitely be appreciated.

Cheers

Not sure, do you have any evidence it would be correct for the hornet we are modelling? 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

As far as I can tell from the -000, TAMMAC was integrated in AFC 327 for Lot 12 models and up, but as a retrofit that wasn't incorporated into baseline production. Some aircraft may not have received it. I found this unclassified budget document that gives more info on the TAMMAC upgrades for C/D/E/F model Hornets and Harriers, and how many installation kits were funded for FY04 through FY07 and years prior; relevant info on Page 17: https://www.dacis.com/budget/budget_pdf/FY06/PROC/N/0577.pdf

So while TAMMAC was more than likely around by our Hornet's time frame, a lot of fleet aircraft may not have been receiving the upgrades yet.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

14 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

So while TAMMAC was more than likely around by our Hornet's time frame, a lot of fleet aircraft may not have been receiving the upgrades yet.

But ED modelled certain functions that would require TAMMAC. If certain TAMMAC features aren't implemented in the game for whatever reason but our aircraft 'should' have TAMMAC then it makes sense to have certain features partially implemented. Currently we have a functioning TAWS and the designating logic shows that the jet either has DTED or it magically knows the elevation around it in certain situations. (Like designating behind you with JHMCS) So 3 situations are possible:

1.) Our Hornet should have TAMMAC and it will get more in depth implementation later.

2.) It doesn't have TAMMAC because it's not accurate to the specific aircraft ED are modelling. In this case, the currently implemented features and capabilities that rely on TAMMAC should be removed.

3.) It should have TAMMAC but certain functions are not going to get implemented for various reasons.

• Like 2

Needless to say, there were orders of magnitude more aircraft with TAMMAC than there were with ATFLIR. For comparisons sake.

As Wobbly has said, there are lots of things that point towards our aircraft being one of those lucky few hundred equipped with TAMMAC, everything except whats indicated in this thread: the HSI MODE layout and the actual CHRT/CIB/DTED cycle

• Like 2

Not sure, do you have any evidence it would be correct for the hornet we are modelling? 
TAMMAC was integrated in all Lot 12 and above aircraft in our time frame, with AFC 327. A lot of things we already have in DCS came after AFC 327, such as JSOWs or the current HMD page, for example. The voice callouts we have (Roll Right/Left) also came with that update and TAWS. You can look at page 40 (45 on the PDF) of the NATOPS flight manual.

Plus, we clearly have DTED, as we can still get elevation data for firing solutions without active ranging. And DTED came with TAMMAC.

Everything on our Hornet is pointing to the fact that we have TAMMAC, except for the HSI layout/options and lack of different map options (which is what this thread is about).
  • Like 2

-

1 hour ago, Harker said:

TAMMAC was integrated in all Lot 12 and above aircraft in our time frame, with AFC 327. A lot of things we already have in DCS came after AFC 327, such as JSOWs or the current HMD page, for example. The voice callouts we have (Roll Right/Left) also came with that update and TAWS. You can look at page 40 (45 on the PDF) of the NATOPS flight manual.

Plus, we clearly have DTED, as we can still get elevation data for firing solutions without active ranging. And DTED came with TAMMAC.

Everything on our Hornet is pointing to the fact that we have TAMMAC, except for the HSI layout/options and lack of different map options (which is what this thread is about).

For the elevation data thing, there are other sources of elevation than just TAMMAC. Radalt, Baralt, AGR. All provide elevation data to various degrees of accuracy. I remember that coming up when the JHMCS designation drifting thing was raised, because if you designate outside of the 140 degree forward arc then you cant AGR so the elevation will be off.

1 hour ago, Swiftwin9s said:

For the elevation data thing, there are other sources of elevation than just TAMMAC. Radalt, Baralt, AGR. All provide elevation data to various degrees of accuracy. I remember that coming up when the JHMCS designation drifting thing was raised, because if you designate outside of the 140 degree forward arc then you cant AGR so the elevation will be off.

That's why I specified that we can get solutions without active ranging. I ran some tests in the Caucasus mountains. Radar Off, RADALT Off, INS to NAV (no GPS altitude), wrong pressure setting for BALT.

I still get correct firing solutions for bombs and the gun, even when targeting steep slopes. This shouldn't be possible without DTED. The only remaining source of elevation is DTED. Also, the BALT pressure setting does not affect the firing solution at all, which makes sense since DTED should be higher ranked than BALT in elevation calculation. FA-18C_CCIP solution without source.trk

Edit: @BIGNEWY, here you can see how we get correct elevation data without any other source, implying the existence of DTED and thus TAMMAC.

Edited by Harker
  • Like 2

-

• Wags changed the title to HSI MODE Option