BEST AA RADAR RANKINGS

DCS FIGHTER PILOT

JF-17 radar is ridiculously good. You cant notch it. Once it locks you up there's no way you can break it unless you hide behind hill or something.

I don't know about the real thing. Probably realistic or probably not.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I see some people here are of the opinion the M2000 has a better radar than the F15C? In my experience the F15 can detect more targets quicker and of course it has an actual TWS instead of the "fake" TWS the mirage has which can't actually track more than one target, just acts as an STT without notifying target of lock. I also don't think the workload on the F15C radar is that light considering you have 3 frequency modes just like the Mirage and you actually have to switch between TWS and RWS vs in the mirage it handles both on the same screen by just making you press lock twice for STT and only once for TWS. Effectively its always in a RWS/TWS hybrid mode, so its actually easier to use in some ways than the F15 radar. I find that the F15 can see targets further away though, and also it has magical IFF built in which is nice.

Why would you need a longer range in the Hornet (or f-16 in that sense) radar at all ? You rely on the DL/AWACS to build SA, the radar you need when it is time to track and shoot, which with AIM-120 is hardly longer than 30 miles even against bombers(at least in dcs). It's much more important to be able to lock and keep the target locked reliably during the engagement without the need of a dedicated radar operator rather than detect it from 80 miles (while it is shown in the DL anyway) and then loose lock just when you have to fox because RIO failed to switch the radar mode, it was notched or any other reason

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JF-17 radar is ridiculously good. You cant notch it. Once it locks you up there's no way you can break it unless you hide behind hill or something.

OTOH, it doesn't pick targets up very well, and takes forever to scan, and the dogfight mode is mostly useless. But yes once you are locked it tends to keep it, though I've defiantly seen people break the locks.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

A lot of people trying to notch at 500-600kts. Slow down to some reasonable combat speed (400ish) and you'll get it. More speed means less margin, and the only reason people are used to easy notching is that the FC3 radars let you notch...easily.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

F18C has the best Radar. Not sure why people think the F14 is better. The F18c also has multitrack and launch.

Anyone that thinks this has never been a rio in the 14 - clearly you have no idea what your talking about - no offence meant however take time to learn the back seat of the 14 the radar and its abilities in game out strips anything else in terms of its ability to track and find targets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

• 2 years later...

Hi all, 

Most replies here point to the Hornet or the Tomcat to have the most capable radar ingame. I‘m a noob, but it made me think, why do recent mods make use of the Eagle radar in their mod? Eg. Gripen, VSN F35, etc. Their intention is to provide a more modern aircraft with better avionics, or? Why do they choose to go with an inferior radar?

//Ted

1 hour ago, Ted Striker said:

why do recent mods make use of the Eagle radar in their mod? Eg. Gripen, VSN F35, etc.

Most probably they only figured out how (or it's easiest) to modify FC3 bird (namely F-15C).

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Not really. The radar is just defined in the aircraft’s lua file. You can for example refer to the AN/APG-63 for the F-15 radar, or the AN/APG-73 for the Hornet‘s. So it‘s not more complicated to use the Hornet‘s, and if this really more capable ingame it would make much sense. So, why do they go for the F-15?

5 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

So it‘s not more complicated to use the Hornet‘s

Since you know better, why not go ask the modder?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 minute ago, Ted Striker said:

I have no idea how to judge the capability of a radar

You test. Make a mission and test against AI aircraft, see how far your radar can find them, test coalt or higher, then look down, test hot target, then flanking and cold, make them fly circles below you to test vs notching, stuff like that.

12 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

Hi all, 

Most replies here point to the Hornet or the Tomcat to have the most capable radar ingame. I‘m a noob, but it made me think, why do recent mods make use of the Eagle radar in their mod? Eg. Gripen, VSN F35, etc. Their intention is to provide a more modern aircraft with better avionics, or? Why do they choose to go with an inferior radar?

//Ted

This thread is two years old. Two years ago the F-15's radar was half as powerful as it should be. A few months ago it was fixed. Currently the F-15 has the best radar available. The F-18 has slipped down a few slots and the F-16 while capable, has among the shortest radar range. The F-14 both suffers and benefits from being older and having its own operator.

• Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

On 1/11/2023 at 1:46 PM, Ted Striker said:

why do recent mods make use of the Eagle radar in their mod?

Because its much easier to implement a low fidelity radar than a high fidelity one into a mod

On 1/11/2023 at 1:46 PM, Ted Striker said:

Why do they choose to go with an inferior radar?

Lol what ?

oejupna7grw91.png

My skins

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Mike_Romeo:

Because its much easier to implement a low fidelity radar than a high fidelity one into a mod

Lol what ?

oejupna7grw91.png

I was refering to most people's opinion here, that the radar of either F-14 or F-18 is the best. So my question was why would somebody choose to go with the F-15 radar for a modern aircraft, if the others should be better. Thanks for the chart

17 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

So my question was why would somebody choose to go with the F-15 radar for a modern aircraft, if the others should be better.

Which one is better depends on your definition and expectations.