F-80C

viperfan

Hi all,

Posting a thread titled such in order to gauge interest.

I gained an interest in this aircraft after learning about my grand uncle 1st Lt Ed Fleming flying tail 49-703, who was shot down in korea after pulling up from a rocket attack on a train.

Seeing as there is an ME 262 being speculated for future release in the next years, I figure this would be the perfect match for it. While that would technically be the P-80A model, there were minor configuration changes and no major hardware changes to my knowledge. So, constructing the C variant would still be relevant and also allow for a mission to shoot down the first even jet to jet kill by opposing nations.

The only other modern games to have the f80 are Warthunder and FSX. Nothing to the caliber of DCS.

I have started on the basic modeling of the aircraft.

Are there any texture artists or programmers that have interest in this project?

Don't want to be mean, but 1st you need to show us something to get some interest in it. 3D modeling is not easy, and takes quite a while to make it look good enough for DCS. You can't really do anything without the 3D model. Take a look at the A-4E mod. It took about 4 years for these guys to bring this bird to life, but they did it. I think it's the only mod that made it to the daylight. So think about it for a moment, are you ready to do it?

Anyways, whatever your decision will be, good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Changed the method of constructing main cylindrical fuselage. Working on fusing the intake to the fuselage now. Rudder, horizontal stabilizer, elevator and trim tab are created.

Since I cant find anyone else to help, the first objective is to finish 3d model, and then go for AI plane.

Capture3.thumb.JPG.d91ffe62792c2d7193f19c390d81a3d2.JPG

I don't know anything about 3D modeling, but I do wish you all the best, as I'd love to have an F-80 on the game, even as AI, since my country used to fly them:

15xUGHC.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 weeks later...

My personal tip for making this model awesome:

Go, and find a good source of blueprints, better a one with section lines, learn the shape from a closer look through pics and etc....and try to mimic the designers / constructors way of shape thinking... i will explain...

all shapes out there made from super simple shapes...called primitives... once you crack this nut... you will be able to reproduce any fuselage shape.

From what i see it a simple merge of cylinder with the canopy shape...and the intakes.

Before you merge all to shape...first build them separate...shape it out in a way that all parts have same amount of polyflow... then work on the mergin.

the secret is to build it exactly the way it built in the real world... it doesn't mean, you need to build every rivet...it means you have to dive everything by shapes !!!

IAI KFIR C2/C7 MOD dev blog

DISCORD pitkun#2175

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Posting a thread titled such in order to gauge interest.

I gained an interest in this aircraft after learning about my grand uncle 1st Lt Ed Fleming flying tail 49-703, who was shot down in korea after pulling up from a rocket attack on a train.

I got interest to this aircraft from the greatest fighter pilot movie of them all, JET PILOT!

There you have the T-33 (a P-80 variant with two cockpits) as a soviet fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhZsaIyWc9o

That is as well movie when the F-86 Sabres first got in the service, first squadron flying in that movie (and a lot actually). Even the Chuck Yeager flies in the movie.

That is THE pilot movie that everyone interested about military aviation should have been seen already, TOP GUN is nothing compared to that movie!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...

awesome my man, love watching your progress!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...

Honestly it looks a bit messy....try to follow my steps i shared with you. Build it step by step, i will follow a nd give you more tips as you advance... always post with wire frame...cause you model as i see looks very shape stratched and over detailed at places where no need.

Sorry for not so possitive critics, i just want to help you create a good model !

IAI KFIR C2/C7 MOD dev blog

DISCORD pitkun#2175

• 1 year later...