VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

dburne

I'm still contemplating the upgrade. The spring tool alone might tip me over the edge lol. I made my own but not nearly as comfortable to use.

Oh yeah man I will tell you that spring tool is the cat's pajamas!

Even the strongest springs - #50 - are a breeze to put on now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I was testing my extension and was a PITA to get one #50 on, and was way too light and didn't really want to wrestle with the second one. Might have tried a #30 but wasn't confident in my mounting so went back to the desk plate with two #30s for now but will be facing this again soon.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Got my replacement cable today and got to test my updated MCG Pro electronics and new cams and dust cover. Must say that feel and smoothness is very good. Using #50 springs, 2 in total with the new cams makes center position very good. My only question going forward is how the new gear stands up to use.:thumbup:

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Oh yeah man I will tell you that spring tool is the cat's pajamas!

Even the strongest springs - #50 - are a breeze to put on now.

Thanks for the review Don! At first I was like "what is that thing? Cotter pin puller?" Nifty idea, fore sure.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse me , I have a question , This Gunfighter MK III Pro compatible with X-Plane 11 , or No. My Gladiator MkII upgrade with Upgrade Kit Lite, MCG Pro grip and Twist adaper that can play DCS but not work when play X-Plane 11 .

Excuse me , I have a question , This Gunfighter MK III Pro compatible with X-Plane 11 , or No. My Gladiator MkII upgrade with Upgrade Kit Lite, MCG Pro grip and Twist adaper that can play DCS but not work when play X-Plane 11 .

I should think so, but also can not imagine why your current setup would not work - I would think X-Plane 11 would support USB Joystick devices no matter the brand.

Perhaps someone that has X-Plane will be able to comment.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Curious how the Mk III feels in comparison to the Warthog stick with a 10cm extension. Are the gimbals noticeably smoother? I don't really have much complaint with the WH, but I would like a smoother axis transition.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

Curious how the Mk III feels in comparison to the Warthog stick with a 10cm extension. Are the gimbals noticeably smoother? I don't really have much complaint with the WH, but I would like a smoother axis transition.

Yes, totally different feel and a lot more customizability for feel.

I went from Warthog with 10 cm extension to Virpil original T-50 with extension , to Gunfighter Pro Mk I w/ 20cm extension and now Gunfighter Mk III Pro w/ 20cm extension.

Really each stick I have gotten has been progressively better than the previous.

I have many more hours now in this Gunfighter Mk III Pro and absolutely love it - been using it daily. I still have not run across anything with this Mk III to critique.

Don B

Great review Dburne. I've got 2 GFmk2/revB and a single Mk1/first gen Gunfighter as well. I'm just waiting for the quarantine on ordering to finish so I can get my GFmk3. Very helpful review and pictures, thanks again.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Great review Dburne. I've got 2 GFmk2/revB and a single Mk1/first gen Gunfighter as well. I'm just waiting for the quarantine on ordering to finish so I can get my GFmk3. Very helpful review and pictures, thanks again.

:thumbup:

Thanks much! You are going to love that Mk III.

Don B

Order Details

Product Total Gunfighter Mk.III - MCG Pro EN x 1 €417,00 Stick extension kit 200 mm x 1 €58,00 Small Base Plate x 1 €9,90 Subtotal: €484,90 Shipping: €14,99 via DHL Payment method: PayPal Total: €499,89 (includes €86,76 Tax)

Happy Valentine sweety! :D

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Happy Valentine sweety! :D

Congrats!!

Don B

Yep, ordered a MKIII with Pro grip as well today. Surprised when the store was up! Thought it wouldn't be till Monday. 10 cm straight extension - I don't think my Obutto would easily allow a 20 cm extension with the way I've got it set up right now.

Time to put the DD wheel back in the closet for a while.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review. Very helpful. I think I’ve decided to upgrade to the same setup you have but I have just a few worries about whether this will be right for me. Do the monstertech mounts give enough space away from the desk to go full forward stick? Also I’m looking for a setup that provides the most realistic feel and control position. Can you add enough spring to the 200mm stick to provide a realistic resistance? I’ve read a lot of comments about how light it can feel. Also all the pictures I’ve seen of the 200mm stick looks like the grip is still at an unnaturally high position. To add more resistance and to lower the stick to a more realistic position I think I’m leaning toward the monstertech long mount with the 100mm small extension stick. But I do like the look and movement of the 200mm stick and I’m sure the control precision is fantastic. Any thoughts or opinions to help make my decision easier? Thanks

Thanks for the review. Very helpful. I think I’ve decided to upgrade to the same setup you have but I have just a few worries about whether this will be right for me. Do the monstertech mounts give enough space away from the desk to go full forward stick? Also I’m looking for a setup that provides the most realistic feel and control position. Can you add enough spring to the 200mm stick to provide a realistic resistance? I’ve read a lot of comments about how light it can feel. Also all the pictures I’ve seen of the 200mm stick looks like the grip is still at an unnaturally high position. To add more resistance and to lower the stick to a more realistic position I think I’m leaning toward the monstertech long mount with the 100mm small extension stick. But I do like the look and movement of the 200mm stick and I’m sure the control precision is fantastic. Any thoughts or opinions to help make my decision easier? Thanks

You are most welcome.

For me, the extended Monster Tech Mount is just right with my 200mm extended Gunfighter. I have mine mounted as low as it will go, and my arm is at basically a 90 degree angle to my body. It feels fine for me. You can see a pic of it in my first post in this thread. If you go 100mm I would still get the extended mount as it can be adjusted up however much you need.

Yes, plenty of space away from desk to move stick in full forward deflection. The mount can be adjusted for depth from desk also.

Springs - yes. I am still using one each #50 spring on each axis. I have a nice soft center feel and progressive stiffness as it goes toward the extremes. And you can combined two springs per axis, you get lots of springs with the Gunfighter Pro. L. So if say one each #50 you feel still a little too soft, add a #30 to it as well. Or a #20. You get the picture.

I have many , many hours in this thing now and really love it.

Don B

Hey I am not sure if you have the F16 but If you do and can do AAR with no issue, I would like to know you in game axis settings. I can refuel the hornet without much issue now with the VKB stick but I tried for a couple hours last night to do it in the F16 and I could not get it steady enough at all. I have to say I see now why the Navy stuck with probe and basket.lol I watched two videos on AAR in the F16 and I get the basic of the lights but my issue is that even with the VKB I cant hold the right altitude long enough.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey I am not sure if you have the F16 but If you do and can do AAR with no issue, I would like to know you in game axis settings. I can refuel the hornet without much issue now with the VKB stick but I tried for a couple hours last night to do it in the F16 and I could not get it steady enough at all. I have to say I see now why the Navy stuck with probe and basket.lol I watched two videos on AAR in the F16 and I get the basic of the lights but my issue is that even with the VKB I cant hold the right altitude long enough.

Short answer YES! (I have no curves or dead zones set in game for the 16 or through the vkb software)

Long answer YES-ish

Personally, I received my GF III pro a cpl o' weeks ago. I was a long time F4 player 10yrs + ago (still have the disc+manual etc). I've always had crap sticks that aren't accurate. Was never able to AAR in F4 and was not able to AAR in DCS before my GF III (was using a Tflight 4 I purchased for Elite Dangerous on the PS4).

I'm very new to DCS (5 weeks).The stick has got me 80% of the way to consistent AARs. I'm new to head tracking too. I'm finding that a less than perfect head track, poor vision and crap ergonomics (my stuff sits on the desktop currently) are my current issues.

In short, the problem before was the stick AND me, but the Tflight was so bad for fine adjustments I just didn't notice the me part lol.

I'm just starting to RTFM for the 18 so I have a long way to go in that frame, but in some very preliminary flights, I've noticed the 18's FM "seems" a bit more controllable for finer adjustments. That coupled with the fact u can see what yer doing whilst refueling might be making it easier. more testing required.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks dburne for your review.

You are most welcome. Still loving and using this thing daily since I got it.

Still no issues at all with it to date.

Don B

You are most welcome. Still loving and using this thing daily since I got it.

Still no issues at all with it to date.

Ya the GF3 and MCG grip is so much better than the Warthog it is not even funny. The GF3 is so adjustable and I have just stuck with the #40 springs and no extension.

Curious what core voltage you are using to get 5.2ghz. I have the KS chip and I can run 5.2 but I need to run 1.36v with LLC at turbo and even with my Asus Ryujin 360 water cooler and another fan blowing on the VRM's it still gets over 85deg which I am not cool with. I am using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste as well. I can run 5.1ghz at 1.3v and LLC on high but it honestly doesnt make any difference in performance in DCS. It shows up in benchmarks like cinebench R20 or R15 of course. I dont care about that though. I want more fps.lol I ran it with 5.2ghz and still didnt notice anything in DCS. I am going to grab the 10900k when they are available again. May swithc from Gigabyte mobo to EVGA as well. Gigabyte is a bit buggy wwith their bios. I think it is causing my either b2 or 62 code. Getting a replacement 2080ti from EVGA today to try as it may be my card. Tosses the code with no post then it is fine when turn it off and on again.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Ya the GF3 and MCG grip is so much better than the Warthog it is not even funny. The GF3 is so adjustable and I have just stuck with the #40 springs and no extension.

Curious what core voltage you are using to get 5.2ghz. I have the KS chip and I can run 5.2 but I need to run 1.36v with LLC at turbo and even with my Asus Ryujin 360 water cooler and another fan blowing on the VRM's it still gets over 85deg which I am not cool with. I am using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste as well. I can run 5.1ghz at 1.3v and LLC on high but it honestly doesnt make any difference in performance in DCS. It shows up in benchmarks like cinebench R20 or R15 of course. I dont care about that though. I want more fps.lol I ran it with 5.2ghz and still didnt notice anything in DCS. I am going to grab the 10900k when they are available again. May swithc from Gigabyte mobo to EVGA as well. Gigabyte is a bit buggy wwith their bios. I think it is causing my either b2 or 62 code. Getting a replacement 2080ti from EVGA today to try as it may be my card. Tosses the code with no post then it is fine when turn it off and on again.

MY CPU Core Voltage for 5.2 GHz all cores = 1.325

Vdroop (LLC) set -75% (min).

AVX = 0.

HT = Disabled ( 8 cores/8 threads).

Cooler - Corsair H150i Pro 360mm. with stock paste.

I also have a bios profile set for 5.1 GHz all cores @ 1.30vcore.

Running DCS I always use my 5.2 GHz profile. It seems to give me a little more time in non ASW than does the 5.1 GHz profile. Not a lot, but I take all I can get.

My core temps max out between around 68c - 75c. Usually average around 70-72c.

Note: Having HT disabled helps a little on the core temp department. I see no benefit to having it enabled ( 8 cores 16 threads) for gaming really.

I have run both EVGA motherboards and GPU's for several years now and have never had an issue.

Don B

I think the new bios firmware for my board is causing it. Others complained about instability as well as reduced benchmark scores. I switched to my backup bios with the same settings for 5ghz and 5.1 and was scoring higher right off. Seems gigabyte is pumping out garbage bios versions for all their boards now. Their customer service is nothing short of horrible. I called and left a message. Two days later some lady with a thick Chinese accent called back and was clearly at home since her kids were yelling in the background. She knew nothing and was reading from a script. I am going to switch away from gigabyte once I get my hands on a 10900k. I got the aorus master board because the VRM's are great quality and legit 12 phase power. ASUS and MSI do some BS doubling of 4 or 5 actual VRM's. EVGA is kind of the gold standard now in customer service and quality. My old 780 SC from them never missed a beat in 7 years.

• 2 weeks later...