VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

dburne

Just installed the 20cm extension with #40 springs an did and did an arial refuel in the hornet and some hoovering in the huey. This is another level of simming. Magnificent.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Nice combo with these pedals as well :-)

You like the extension really? I got it but hated it. Didn't like how much extra throw I had to use for precision flying. I guess I would be a better Viper pilot than Hornet pilot in real life.lol

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

20cm is plenty and I had to change to my 5cm lower desk to get the stick at about the height of a hornet stick with the long monstertech desk mount. But that allows me to use my higher desk again as regular desk and I was ready for this move in advance. (I am using a car chair with a fixed height not an office chair.)

I think I would recommend the 10cm for most people to achieve a higher precision. But I like also helicopters and warbirds, so I really appreciate the even longer 20cm extension and it lives up to my expectations easily. Also no problem to mount the s-curve extension straight and the grip at an ergonomic angle.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

20cm is plenty and I had to change to my 5cm lower desk to get the stick at about the height of a hornet stick with the long monstertech desk mount. But that allows me to use my higher desk again as regular desk and I was ready for this move in advance. (I am using a car chair with a fixed height not an office chair.)

I think I would recommend the 10cm for most people to achieve a higher precision. But I like also helicopters and warbirds, so I really appreciate the even longer 20cm extension and it lives up to my expectations easily. Also no problem to mount the s-curve extension straight and the grip at an ergonomic angle.

Yeah I am quite fond of my 20cm extension also.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If you are going to use the GF3 with extension on a Monstertech base plate, do you still need the VKB base plate as well?

No, the stick base screws directly to the Monster Tech Base Plate for Gunfighter. Actually the screws come up from underneath the Monster Tech plate for Gunfighter into the gimbal base of the stick.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It even has a place for the black box which is neat. I am going to mount a button box to the Monstertech Mount I got for the VKB since I didn't like side stack and have the Gunfighter Pro little plate mounted to the VESA arm for a center stick.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Thinking of upgrading my MK2 to MK3 cams and maybe the electronics.

Only gripe I have with my MK2 is that it doesn't self centre with the light springs I use.

Wil the new cams help with this? All the movement is registered I just have to make sure it's centered myself.

No sign of her or corrosion and feels very smooth

Edited by McGraw

Only gripe I have with my MK2 is that it doesn't self centre with the light springs I use.

Wil the new cams help with this? All the movement is registered I just have to make sure it's centered myself.

I can not speak to the Mk II, as I went from the Mk I to the Mk III.

In the Mk 1 I have, the pitch axis always had a bit of slop where it would not center exactly in same spot. In my MK III , it has not done that.

I use the 200mm extension so I use the #50 springs, same as I used in the Mk I.

Don B

I can not speak to the Mk II, as I went from the Mk I to the Mk III.

In the Mk 1 I have, the pitch axis always had a bit of slop where it would not center exactly in same spot. In my MK III , it has not done that.

I use the 200mm extension so I use the #50 springs, same as I used in the Mk I.

At the cost of a more noticeable break force/detent, correct?

Mmm not that I notice, it takes very, very little force to slightly move the stick in any direction from center.

Don B

If you mean by that that you have to push too hard on the grip to move away from a certain point and getting uncontrollable oscillations because of that, then no, not true at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Went for it and glad I did. General feel and centring definitely improved.

I didn't have a problem with my Mk II and therefore didn't notice much of a difference upgrading to Mk III electronics and cams. My centering was excellent with either version using 10 or 20 cm extensions with single #50 springs. I did destroy a bearing trying out #50 x 2 on both axes only to find out later that the suggested limit is #40 x 2. I was able to replace the bad bearing, but also bought a 2nd base to before attempting the repair... right before the Mk III was announced. Just my luck. But now I have both bases upgraded with the full Mk III package. The only thing I am missing is the new black "black box".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn't have a problem with my Mk II and therefore didn't notice much of a difference upgrading to Mk III electronics and cams. My centering was excellent with either version using 10 or 20 cm extensions with single #50 springs. I did destroy a bearing trying out #50 x 2 on both axes only to find out later that the suggested limit is #40 x 2. I was able to replace the bad bearing, but also bought a 2nd base to before attempting the repair... right before the Mk III was announced. Just my luck. But now I have both bases upgraded with the full Mk III package. The only thing I am missing is the new black "black box".

I only upgraded the cams. Don’t see any point in upgrading the electronics.

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered the Mk III pro today with EN grip and got the email saying it shipped same day. Also saw on their store that they are now out of stock. How lucky is that?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitch:

My Specs:

i7 8700K, 32gig Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz, 2080ti, Obutto R3volution, VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro EN, Warthog Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Oculus Rift S

MMSOBGYTAST!

Just ordered the Mk III pro today with EN grip and got the email saying it shipped same day. Also saw on their store that they are now out of stock. How lucky is that?

:thumbup:

I would say pretty lucky.

Enjoy!

Don B

Thanks for the review. I picked up a MKIII as well. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my Virpil stick. I’m just glad we have so much to choose from. I remember when it was CH and TM. I’m looking forward to the VKB throttle too as I’m sure everyone is.

Answered my own question reading the FAQ. Imagine that. lol

Do you guys sell Gladiator Pro or Gunfighter bases by themselves?

No.

Stand-alone bases by themselves are not complete products and don’t offer any functionality unless combined with a grip (base + grip = joystick), so you should just aim to buy a complete joystick to begin with. Since VKB is in the market to sell complete joysticks first and foremost, buying a complete joystick allows you to receive a fully usable product with a single purchase.

In contrast, Stand-alone grips are really only meant for those users who already own a compatible VKB joystick and wish to replace the original grip with another one.

NB: If you want a complete joystick, don’t piece it together by buying a stand-alone grip as soon as it’s available, and then end up waiting on some form of stand-alone base that might or might be offered by VKB.

I am sporting a Warthog combo with Mit freundlichen Grüßen pedals and fell in love with the idea of getting a VKB/Virpil/Winwing Stick and another throttle later when there’s an interesting one (VKB?)

However, looks like I get the most out of the MK III with a modern combat grip and eng labels. I play WW2 and modern but I don’t see a reason to limit to a WW2 stick or grip. I also prefer extension so I need one of the extended version.

My questions:

1. Is ordering from flightsimcontrols.com the best option for Europe?

2. the twist axis is lockable and not very expensive so I tend to buy it to be one the safe side. Won’t use it for rudder of course but it could be handy for space sims plus I am used to a free moving stick on my warthog featured by the stick extension. The stick angle just slips into the best position. This won’t work here I guess as the axis will self center, right? Guys, what’s your opinion about the twist axis?

3. Does the stick fit on a Warthog base plate like the one from Monstertech by chance? Well at least it could be...

4. are there any sales ever? Guess no...

5. Right now I have a 12cm extension for the Warthog. It’s longer than any of the ones of friends. To me it‘s quite good and I got used to it quickly. 20cm seem to be pretty much but I don’t want to miss an opportunity. Any advice on this point?

6. anything else to consider?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant