Tornado

dave-uk

Hmm... I know the ideal would be to have a full detail module... but if that's not possible, would anyone be interested in a simpler "FC-3" level Tornado IDS ?

Eagle Dynamics has stated before that they will not be making anymore FC-3 level aircraft for DCS. But it might be a possibility for the new MAC game they are currently working on that will have aircraft with a more simplified control system to appeal to a larger audience. Kinda of like a more sophisticated ACE combat.

Would probably have to be a GR2 as a lot of the weapons tech on the GR4 was moved to the Typhoon, not sure about the targeting pod.

Also, as mentioned, the Tornado which the RAF used was closely aligned to the Saudi version which is still in use, I would imagine the Germans and Italians are still using GR1 or GR2 type aircraft, they dont like to pay for upgrades to meet changing technology.

Then you get into the NETMA/PANAVIA politics, I could imagine it being a bloody nightmare to get information.

Still want one in my Hangar though.

Hmm... I know the ideal would be to have a full detail module... but if that's not possible, would anyone be interested in a simpler "FC-3" level Tornado IDS ?

Absolutely not. Either the full thing or nothing at all for me.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

no the same as QUIGON says to all or nothing.

the tornado and a multi-role vehicle cannot allow such a complex machine to be simplified.

Ok let's leave it as it is if DCS can't do it patience we'll wait when it's possible. unfortunately thread continue to arrive on the tornado in this forum seems an unsurvable topic.

Would probably have to be a GR2 as a lot of the weapons tech on the GR4 was moved to the Typhoon, not sure about the targeting pod.

There was no GR4.

There was the GR.1, GR.1B and GR.4.

I would imagine the Germans and Italians are still using GR1 or GR2 type aircraft, they dont like to pay for upgrades to meet changing technology.

Don't know about the Italians, but Germany has upgraded its Tornados pretty extensively in the past 10 years. Germany doesn't use the british GR terminology and instead is reffering to their Tornado upgrades as ASSTA (Avionics System Software Tornado in Ada), of which the most current one is the ASSTA 4.

Upgrades include new color MFDs, NVG compatible cockpit ligthing, LINK 16 Data Link, LITENING TGP, IRIS-T A-A missiles, Taurus KEPD cruise missiles, GBU-54 LJDAM, new RECCE pods, AGM-88E AARGM SEAD missiles and more.

Here are some pics of the ASSTA 3.1 cockpit (WSO):

attachment.php?attachmentid=208619&d=1555184876

attachment.php?attachmentid=208620&d=1555184876

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Italian update

in recent years (from 2005 onwards) the updating of Italian Tornadoes to the MLU-IT standard has begun, which provides for the possibility of launching the SCALP cruise missile. The first tests started in September 2006. The latest device purchased, the "RECCELITE" scanner, was used in Afghanistan in 2009.

On August 19, 2014, two Tornadoes on a training mission that took off from the resident base of the 6º Stormo di Ghedi, in the province of Brescia, crashed near Ascoli Piceno following a collision in flight.

Storm Shadow/SCALP is the air-launched long range

SCANNER RECELITE

More specifically, the Tornado serves in the IDS versions in the 102º, 154º and 156º Group rows that make up the 6th Wing based on Ghedi (first copy received on August 27, 1982, official conversion on May 20, 1983, conventional and nuclear attack mission, attack with anti-radar missiles, reconnaissance and anti-ship attack with Kormoran missiles). From 1 July 2008 the 156th Group was transferred from the 36th (May 1984 when the Tornado entered the group) to the 6th Wing. The aircraft is also used by the 155th Group of the 50th Wing (1989, conventional and nuclear attack, based at the Piacenza-San Damiano airport) for a total of about 100 originally purchased [46], now reduced to less than 90. The machines in service in their departments reach 55-60 specimens. Each department has specific skills, with aircraft equipped with Storm Shadow long range stand-off missiles, GBU-32 JDAM, GBU-16 Paveway, H bombs (Type B 61/3, B 61/4 and B61 / 10), bombs Mk-83 and Mk-82, reconnaissance pod, Kormoran 1 anti-ship (about 60-70 purchased, now cleared), MW-1 breaker (90, never used in war and now radiated) or HARM missiles. The ECR program, started in 1992, saw the modification of 15 IDS machines, thanks to the reduced number of losses that occurred to the line, less than expected (three groups for a total of 54 devices, the needs of the TTE with about 10 others, but an ordered total of 100, including one of pre-series and 12 AD). This allowed for a significant reduction in costs. In any case, the program for German ECRs was followed with many of the changes designed by the Germans, but the Italian version is called ECR-IT as it slightly modified the equipment.

Edited by Xilon_x

Also, as mentioned, the Tornado which the RAF used was closely aligned to the Saudi version which is still in use, I would imagine the Germans and Italians are still using GR1 or GR2 type aircraft, they dont like to pay for upgrades to meet changing technology.

Then you get into the NETMA/PANAVIA politics, I could imagine it being a bloody nightmare to get information.

Still want one in my Hangar though.

this is armament from tornado to typhon

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone,

Here is an interesting article about the Tornado :

https://hushkit.net/2020/08/04/the-tornado-is-gone-was-it-the-right-aircraft-for-the-raf/

I've always liked it and knew the ADV wasnt the top dog at its mission but wow, it looks like no matter the version, it wasn't great at what it was supposed to do.

I still want it in DCS though (IDS) :music_whistling:

Hello everyone,

Here is an interesting article about the Tornado :

https://hushkit.net/2020/08/04/the-tornado-is-gone-was-it-the-right-aircraft-for-the-raf/

I've always liked it and knew the ADV wasnt the top dog at its mission but wow, it looks like no matter the version, it wasn't great at what it was supposed to do.

I still want it in DCS though (IDS) :music_whistling:

The ADV is a bit like an unwanted step child. It was born out of the need for a stop gap to fulfill the interceptor role, when the Eurofighter development took longer than planned and the Phantom and Electric Lightning went out of service. The ADV performed alright intercepting Russian long range bombers and reconaissance aircraft, but that's about it. I personally have a hard time accepting it as a member of the Tornado family to be honest.

The IDS on the other hand was a great aircraft... for its role as an interdictor strike aircraft. It was built for that task and I would say it excelled in that task (at least in theory and in training, as the cold war never went hot). Very few other aircraft can match its capabilities down low at night and in weather. The only other aircraft that could match it at the time was the F-111. The F-15E is quite good at this as well and definitely offers more flexibility, but it came several years after the Tornado.

The article also focuses entirely on the RAF Tornado and forgets that other nations Tornados had slightly different capabilities. This gets especially noticeable in the part about the SEAD role and the ALARM missile. The article says the ALARM was rather bad compared to the HARM (which is interesing, as the ALARM always gets a lot of praise for its loiter cabalities), but doesn't mention that German and Italian Tornados are actually using the HARM and they also have the specialized ECR Tornado which is a dedicated SEAD platform that excelled at that role!

Also in terms of sensors and situational awareness, the article seems to forgot that those things came to the Tornado in later upgrades, where it recieved digital map and situation displays along with Link 16 integration.

So no, I don't think the Tornado was as bad as the article makes it. It definitely was a rather specialized aircraft for a role that would have been very important in a cold war gone hot scenario, which never happened (thank god!). Instead it had to fight the war against terror, dropping precision guided munitions from high up, which it hasn't been designed for, but adapted quite well for with modern upgrades.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

differences of the cokpit

TORNADO ECR COKPIT

252836.jpg

This one is actually a GR.4 front pit, not an ECR. ;)

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• 2 months later...
differences of the cokpit

TORNADO GR1 COKPIT

mev-11952121.webp

This is very early one, the old ESRRD is still missing. Early production or prototype

TORNADO GR1 REAR COKPIT

589994.jpg

German standard IDS, pre ASSTA 3

TORNADO GR4 REAR COKPIT

2a398fcdf4166242aa7513233f7570d9.jpg

Tornado_-_vorderes_Cockpit.jpg

The first one is not a GR.4 pit, or at least a pre-production / in-the-middle-of-the-upgrade one.

It's missing one of the big features of GR.4, the large pretty dominant TARDIS.

The second one had no caption and was posted below a GR.4 picture. To be clear, it's a IDS (pre ASSTA 3 cockpit)

It could be an ECR (also pre ASSTA 3). Controls for the FLIR are on the left side and not visible, the WCP is the same although the ECR as no guns.

Alias in Discord: Mailman