Mariana Islands Map & DCS: WWII

NineLine

I have no illusions about why this map is slow to finish... It is free.:D

• Thanks 1

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 4 months later...

Oh my god, the thought of WW2 carrier ops in the Pacific with carrier dive bombing/torpedo attacks, battleships and destroyers filling the sky with flak, supporting island invasions etc is just too exciting to cope with. I wish they'd just announce these things when they were ready 😬

• Like 4

i7-13700k | nVidia 3080 Ti | 64GB RAM

VKB MCG Ultimate stick with old Sidewinder FFB2 as well |  Warthog Throttle | TrackIR

FC3 | F/A-18C | F-5e | Harrier | KA-50 | Spitfire

Release seems to be 2.7 centric, unfortunately does not look to include the whole chain in the initial release, does look great for carrier ops which is great with all the non official carrier mods coming into the community, though its a pity we dont have any WW2 carrier aircraft

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

On 1/15/2020 at 2:30 PM, ViFF said:

The dash 5 was the most produced version of the Hellcat. Grumman switched production from dash 3 to dash 5 in April of 1944.

The Battle of the Phillipine Sea was in early June, but the campaign for the conquest of the Mariana Islands lasted through August 1944.

Or up to January 1972 if you count the last Japanese soldier to surrender :smartass:

Cheers!

1974 it was for Onoda Hirō as far as I know, for some more unsure cases even later?

I wait for that DCS mission^^ -> 'Fight Onoda Hirō - End the 2nd WW with the A-7E Corsair II'

😂

Edited by Bananabrai
  • Like 1

Alias in Discord: Mailman

• 1 month later...

As excited as I am for the Marianas WW2 map, it seems kind of pointless if there are no flyable Japanese aircraft available (and WW2 carriers). Or at least some opposing AI aircraft. Unless everyone wants to just tail-chase each other in P-51s, FW 190s, and Corsairs in pretend combat. I surely hope that this awesome dev team has more content up their sleeve than a pretty island paradise. I don't mind waiting....

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know, the Marianas map releases first as a modern map, so it'll go well with aircraft like the JF-17, J-11, and the Tomcat and Hornet.  I'm looking forward more to the F-8J Crusader that Magnitude is working on, and I'm not sure I understand why they aren't prioritizing that over the Corsair since the Crusader would be more compatible with a modern version of the Marianas map, but that's another topic in itself.  I think to make a WWII version of the Marianas map realistic, we'd need a lot more AI models (ships, aircraft, and submarines), and new flyable modules to the tune of what Microsoft did with CFS2 back in the day.  CFS2 had the P-38(F), F-6F(-3), F-4F(-4), F4U(-1), A6M(2 and 5), and the N1K2J as flyable aircraft.  With the level of detail that DCS has, making all of that would be a tall order.  Right now there are only a couple of planes that I know of that actually exist that would be at home in a WWII version of the Marianas map - the P-51D, P-47D, and F-4U (when the latter is released).  There's all kinds of stuff that could fit well in a map like this that isn't currently in the pipeline (at least that I'm aware of), like:

Flyable Planes:

F6F Hellcat

F4F Wildcat

SBD Dauntless

TBF Avenger

P-38 Lightning

A6M Zero

D3A Val

B5N Kate

Seafire

AI Planes:

G4M Betty

B-29 Superfortress

PBY Catalina

Ships:

Essex Class CV

Independence Class CVL

Shokaku Class CV

Fletcher/Benson Class DD

South Dakota/Iowa Class BB

Cleveland Class CL

Baltimore Class CA

Mogami Class CA

Myoko Class CA

Fubuki/Kagero Class DD

Submarines:

Type C/D Class SS

Gato/Balao/Tench Class SS

Long list, but even longer for DCS.  ED and the third party devs could pick ten things out of that list and it would take them a good while to complete them all.  I have no idea when ED plans to release the WWII version of the Marianas map, but I doubt that it'll be missing all of this.  My guess is that they have some of these things in the works or at least projected to be and they just haven't said anything about it yet (in particular the ships and AI planes, though what they are working on could very well be different from that list I put together).  It might be a good while before they release the WWII version for that reason, because otherwise it would be kind of like what happened with the F-16C.

Edited by Spino
  • Like 2

Website (DCS Content): https://sites.google.com/view/spinossimulationsite/home?authuser=0

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@SpinosSimulations

System Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 3060, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM

DCS Wishlist: F-8E/J Crusader, Kola Peninsula Map, F-14B(U), F-14D/ST-21 Super Tomcat

• 5 weeks later...

The DCS terrains just keep getting better and better.  The Marianas is gorgeous.  But, what is the long game here?  Are we to see WWII American, British , and Japanese ships and planes fighting in the Pacific, in the future?  I have to wonder how available detailed information on Japanese aircraft is. Detailed enough to meet DCS’s high standards?  Or, will we see present day battles with the Chinese?  With an old and a new Marianas map, it seems we could have both.

Of course, we will need some new planes.  The Corsair is coming along.  How about the Wildcat, Hellcat, Avenger, Dauntless, Lightning etc, etc, etc?  I’m getting old.  Don’t wait too long. 🙂

ps I, too, want that Crusader bad.

Edited by TWC_SLAG
  • Like 5

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

On 7/2/2021 at 3:22 AM, Mower said:

What exactly are we to do with the Marianas map?

Just amaze with the beauty of the place, use your supercarrier and naval assets all the way, and think of the possibilities that opens up with that new iteration of EDGE, so just wonder what will come later on. Easy, uh? 😉

It's not that tough to be thankful for a free map with this quality.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the I-16 we have no other aircraft that fought over the Caucasus in WW2. The Fw-190A8 is closest, but the Luftwaffe only used the earlier Fw-190A5 over the Kuban bridgehead, that mostly isn't part of the detailed area in DCS, in 1943. Same for the Spitfire, only earlier variants as lend lease planes.

Edited by Cunctator
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cunctator said:

Besides the I-16 we have no other aircraft that fought over the Caucasus in WW2. The Fw-190A8 is closest, but the Luftwaffe only used the earlier Fw-190A5 over the Kuban bridgehead, that mostly isn't part of the detailed area in DCS, in 1943. Same for the Spitfire, only earlier variants as lend lease planes.

I don’t quite get the insistence on matching geography to specific models of planes/time periods. Syria would be a fantastic WWII map. Caucasus is pretty good too. We limit ourselves pretty ridiculously in this fashion. 

• Like 4

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Anyone know which airfields will be included in the WWII version of the Marianas? Are they aiming to a Pre Japànese invasion timeframe, a japanese occupation one or a post US invasion? I'm interested to know If there will be any useable airfield for modern jets.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I don't remember they have said anything about exact features in WWII version. Probably that depends on the sources they can find, but bearing in mind many old airfields are still visible in modern version, there will be quite a few.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 7/14/2021 at 7:50 PM, Angelthunder said:

If they plan on using the marianas map to test the use of converting a map from modern to historic,then i wonder if they could do it for the Caucasus map too and give us a WWII eastern front map.

And then Razbam can use that as well.