Modern Airfields on The Channel map please

viperpilot31

Owning the Normandy map, i have always missed having long enough tarmac/concrete runways on there to fly modern day aircraft, without them we are very limited to helicopters and carrier based aircraft. I have just read the news about the Mariana's getting a WWII version! so i thought, why not ask for modern day airports on the Channel map.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Hi,

So, make one airport for modern jets somewhere on the edge of the map so as not to disturb the WW2 environment. There are few maps, and I would like to fly over Europe with a modern plane.

The map is not that big, and you would get end-to-end in just a few minutes in a fast jet. If you want to fly over Europe in a modern plane, there are other sims that allow you to do that very well.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

The map is not that big, and you would get end-to-end in just a few minutes in a fast jet. If you want to fly over Europe in a modern plane, there are other sims that allow you to do that very well.

I don't want to pursue another sim. :) I think that one airport will not limit anyone, right?

I don't want to pursue another sim. :) I think that one airport will not limit anyone, right?

There will be no modern airport on WWII map. It would be ridiculous to put one. But you can still fly there with whatever aircraft you want.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I would not bother to buy it if they put a modern airport on it. The WWII players are usually interested in historic accuracy and immersion where many modern players would be fine with fictional maps since the air battles they are fighting have not happened anyway.

For example, when flying the Hornet or F-16 on the Nevada, Gulf or Georgia map I don't care about the accuracy of the map but I dislike the Normandy map for the Spitfire and Mustang because it is not a good representation of the area in 1944.

{...} but I dislike the Normandy map for the Spitfire and Mustang because it is not a good representation of the area in 1944.

Which month?

I know that you know, Rob. The point I want to make is to agree with you that WW2 pilots care deeply about eh immersion and accuracy. And, even a year is not good enough... compare late May 1944 to late June 1944, and consider all the ALGs on the Normandy map.

For the Channel Map, there is a question over whether it will be 1940 or 1944... and hence the presence of emergency fields or the Atlantik wall. Hopefully the Atlantik wall will be omitted... we can always place statics (such as the Fire Control Bunker, or the SK/Naval Gun Bunker) to make it 1944. That would let us run a 1940 scenario, but it would also make it more credible for the modern jets/helicopters too.

In other words too many statics are a bad thing. It is easier to dress-up a map to make a scenario, than to try to strip out features which are baked in, but which were very specific to a particular time.

Well they say it will be suitable for 1939 -1945, definitely not modern, and I realistically expect that it will really be 5June 1944.

Ideally, it would be 1 September 1939 and would have a bunch of placeable objects and textures that would be added in templates to update the map for different years.

• 3 months later...

With the sandbox approach DCS takes, I have no problems with modern airfields, or at least fictional period airfields that can handle modern jets. I wouldn't mind having fake TACAN/ILS/NDB/PMRG at airfields either.

The important thing is that any deviations of this sort should be removable in the Mission Editor to allow maximum accuracy with WW2 scenarios.

To the contrary...

Owning the Normandy map, i have always missed having long enough tarmac/concrete runways on there to fly modern day aircraft, without them we are very limited to helicopters and carrier based aircraft. I have just read the news about the Mariana's getting a WWII version! so i thought, why not ask for modern day airports on the Channel map.

You can use some of the airbases already. I fly MiG-29, Viper and Hornet from bases in England and France, no problem. AI C-130 and An-26 seem to be working fine as well.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I'd rather ED invested time into a technology that could satisfy the original wish anywhere with the time of the map having some limited effect on airfields.

We already have the "blackout effect", Scenery destruction zone and "remove scenery" which are great technologies.

Next I'd like to see tarmac replace grass and vice-versa. The major challenge with this is that during the war, there was so much change, airfields literally disappeared or changed. Look at the runways on Biggin Hill. For that you require a lot of effort because all the taxiways change, the taxiway data and such. But on some airfields that didnt change, a grass to tarmac conversion might actually be a very cool technology that could help folks like the OP to use the map more broadly. For example.. Manston could benefit (whislt others would not.)

I completely get why some folks want to use the WW2 maps for modern day, but currently it has to be a choice.... either .. or. And this is just WW2 and cannot be broken to fit.

• Thanks 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

So if we can get modern airfields on a WWII period map - can I get modern engines in my Me 262, maybe some AIM 9X's or radar? How about the A-10C with lookdown radar capability and JHMCS full integration?

Of course I am being facetious, but it seems there is always some push somewhere to get ED to move away from the realism and immersion that is one of the core components of who they are. I say to those folks, thier are plenty of titles out there that will let you have those scenarios. So you can play those, and play DCS when you want immersion. Win win!

However, there is some excellent suggestions here for "setting the clock", not sure how feasible that is.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

People have been clamouring for grass airfields on Caucasus for years.

Now that we have grass airfields on Channel, people want concrete.

Interesting....

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

People have been clamouring for grass airfields on Caucasus for years.

Now that we have grass airfields on Channel, people want concrete.

Interesting....

Indeed

• Like 1

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

I'm fine with leaving the map as it is, but I wouldn't mind a modern version of it - I know it's not exactly great for fast jets, but I'd love to just play around in the area as it looks today.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Well there's the history units option in Mission editor allowing availability of date and year specific units.

I wish it would also change the scenery accordingly so you'd have Lakenheath Eagles and concrete runways in full spectrum over Channel. 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 minutes ago, Vekkinho said:

Well there's the history units option in Mission editor allowing availability of date and year specific units.

I wish it would also change the scenery accordingly so you'd have Lakenheath Eagles and concrete runways in full spectrum over Channel. 

If the technology allows this, it would be ideal, however to cover such a broad spectrum of history 1940-1990 and the massive changes in infrastructure and expansion in urban areas?

The development time/cost alone would render such an enterprise uneconomical. You'd triple the required assets overnight. Profound changes and additions to the road and rail networks. Additional bridges. What were airfields then are housing estates now. The level of research required, let alone the programming work is practically unfeasible.

For this map I suspect if such an undertaking were ever done it would be limited to the WW2 period, reflecting changes to airfield format/availability but limited to the Battle of Britain-VE day time period.

Lakenheath is far too far north anyway - you'd practically have to double the North South dimension of the map area to include it. It's just not a realistic request in any form.

• Like 2

It would be nice if ED finished the ability to add airfields to maps. Would solve this issue and a bunch of others on different maps.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files