[NO BUG]setGlobal ("use these settings for all missions") option not working

davidp57

This setting used to cause (when checked) the player's options to be stored in any mission he'd create (or simply save) in the mission editor.

It's been a while now, a few month maybe, but I'm sure now that this setting does not work anymore.

Whatever the value I choose for this setting, a newly created mission will always contain a file named "options" that contains all my personal options (these have nothing to do with the "forced options" in the mission).

Is there something I'm missing ?

Can you tell me how I can help make this bug report more useful ?

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• ED Team

Hi

You can still force options in any mission, seems to be working for me.

Can you reproduce and attach the mission and your dcs log straight after.

it maybe worth running a cleanup and repair or verify if steam version.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi BigNewy, thanks for your answer !

I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough in my original message.

The problem is not that I cannot enforce options in my missions (I totally can), it's that everytime I save a mission, my personal options are stored in the mission (with my callsign, and everything) despite my having unchecked the "use these options for all missions" checkbox :

PQP13zv.jpg

I attached 3 missions created in 3 different environments :

• test1-myconfig-nomods.miz : removed all DCS mods, cleaned up DCS, kept my config and tech mods (SRS)
  • test2-myconfig-nomods-notechmods.miz : removed all DCS mods, cleaned up DCS, removed all tech mods (SRS) but kept my config
  • test3-newconfig.miz : brand new config (removed the Saved Games\DCS.openbeta folder altogether

As you can see, there is an file named options in all 3 mission files.

In the first two files, it contains my personal options (you can see my callsign).

In the last of course, I created a new configuration, hence the new callsign.

What do you think ?

Did I misunderstand the concept ?

Is this a bug ?

Thank you for your help as always !

Kind regards,

David.

test1-myconfig-nomods.miz

test2-myconfig-nomods-notechmods.miz

test3-newconfig.miz

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Is my bug report clear enough ?

• ED Team

Hi sorry for the late reply.

The option isnt related to saving of options in a mission, your local options will always be used in missions created.

If this option is checked your options are applied to the simulation instead of the options from your mission file.

When creating a mission always use the mission options in the editor to set desired mission settings.

Hope that helps

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi BigNewy,

First, thank you for your answer.

I'm not sure I understand how this is supposed to work.

You say that when not checking the Use these settings... option on the client side, the mission options will be used instead. And (you didn't say it but it's a logical conclusion) by checking this option the mission options will not be used.

But you also say that a mission creator should always use the options in the mission editor to set desired mission settings.

To my knowledge, in the Mission Editor, I can check an option to set it to enforced, and therefore force a value ; but is it really forced ? What if the client checked the Use these settings... option on his side ?

Also, that does not explain the following behavior :

• The mission creator does set (in his own player options) an option (e.g. Wake Turbulence)
  • The mission creator does not enforce an option (e.g. Wake Turbulence) in the mission editor (not checked)
  • The client does not set the option ON in his own settings, nor does he set the Use these settings... option.
  • When the client plays the mission, the mission creator's player options are used instead of the client's.

Why ? The option is not enforced in the mission, it's not set on the client side, it should not be ON ! Even if the client does not check the Use these settings... option on his side, imho.

Can you please take some time again for me and consider this ?

I'm available by email and on our Discord if you want to chat (I sent you my contact details by private message).

Thanks again for your help !

• ED Team

Hi

the mission creator can still enforce options for a mission. They cannot be overridden by the user.

If the mission creator has not enforced options in the mission your settings are used.

Thanks

I've got a detailed case with a specific mission (attached) that you can use to reproduce on a server what I still think is a bug.

Bear with me...

This mission has some options enforced, but not the F10 view options (1), nor the immortal setting (2) :

0dOTHDs.jpg

My player settings are :

dw5H7L3.jpg

When running on our server, the mission appears in the servers list with these options (note, F10 view is "allies only (local)" and not "all") :

oFKEyF4.jpg

But when I join the mission as a client, I can see that the F10 map shows the RED shilka right next to my A10 (it shouldn't in "show allies only") ; moreover, when the Shilka fires, my plane does not explode (it should, with "immortal" turned off)...

This is the proof that, whatever my options, and whatever the options enforced or not in the mission, I end up with the options of the guy who last saved the mission !

This is only happens in multiplayer ; the same mission played on my computer works as advertised.

Our server is the dedicated DCS server, 2.5.5.41962 OpenBeta.

mysimplemission2.miz

The rules are not exactly straight forward unfortunately. From what I can tell they fall into a few distinct categories. This applies ONLY for multiplayer, in single player your settings and "use these settings for all missions" will take precedence unless enforced in the mission.

1. Any rules enforced in the mission file will be enforced.

2. When not enforced last used settings of whoever saved the mission will be used.

3. Some settings enforcement depends on the setting itself.

* Settings that are enforced no matter what. Typically gameplay difficulty related settings. (Game avionics, game mode, immortal, F10 settings)

* Settings with multiple options that can be used if the user has more restrictive defaults. (Labels)

* Settings that are either on/off and can be local only. (BDA, Unrestrictive SatNAV, Wake Turbulence)

So with game modes or immortality it will always default to whatever the mission was saved using. Thus you can't have people joining a server with immortal not enforced and set to off with their local setting acting as an override making them immortal. With labels if the server has them off then the player can't turn them on. If the server has labels on, the player can have labels either on or off and is allowed to toggle the setting in mission. With BDA and wake turbulence you can use whatever setting even if it isn't enforced.

I think there are two bugs to gleam from this.

1. The MP browser lists local settings for anything that isn't enforced in the miz even if the setting will be enforced by default.

2. The server is 100% reliant on the settings enforced or otherwise within the miz and has no override of its own.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Ok, I'm happy to see that I'm not completely crazy after all ;)

For the moment, all the missions that we run on our server are "sanitized" ; and in this sanitation process we replace the options file with another one, with fixed options, and without the player's

• 3 months later...

[iNVESTIGATING]Options enforced on server

Hi there,

I'm searching for information on options that are enforced on the dedicated server.

Firstly, I know that the options in the mission can be forced, and that some of the options set by the last user who saved the mission are used in some cases. I'm not asking about that.

What I'd like to know is : the dedicated server loads the options.lua file; does it uses the options there for the clients ?

For example, I have a mission setup that does not enforce any kind of label option. Running this mission solo, I can use label as much as I want.

But when I run it on our server, I cannot set labels anymore.

I tried setting the labels options in the server options.lua, no joy.

Can anyone help me on this ? It's a complex yet very important knowledge to possess !

Here are some screenshots, and I attached my mission (it's a complex mission but as I said labels do display when playing it solo) :

My settings :

GAobZMG.jpg

Result when running the mission solo :

kZnMWB9.jpghttp:

The server settings (as viewed from the client) :

EZZeOPp.jpg

The result when playing multiplayer on the server :

GChQod2.jpg

VEAF_OpenTraining_Caucasus_20200516.miz

Edited by davidp57

• ED Team

Hi

The option to use non mission enforced local settings does not apply when hosting a server. As a result the only control over global server options rests in each individual mission and the settings of the last user to save the mission.

Currently the settings of whoever last saves a mission gets saved into the .miz file. When a setting is not explicitly enforced in the mission itself, then the game looks to and uses those settings as default.

It is reported to the team.

Thanks

• ED Team

In the mission labels are not enforced as you mention, I will take a closer look.

thanks

labels.JPG.5c7dbedf31c855813e4100f88340bf86.JPG

Edited by BIGNEWY

Thank you BigNewy, as always !

It's important that us, the server managers, understand how the options are enforced on the server.

I'm only managing a small server, for a small community but everyone is concerned, specially when trying and organizing big PvP events.

As an example, a server for a recent (very) public event had unknowingly enforced the wake turbulence option to ON, causing crashes to all players flying Mirages (a known bug on the Mirage). That cannot be good.

We've already started discussing this kind of things in a previous thread, and it's beginning to get clearer now.

I still think that some things are aloft regarding options management in DCS, and now that you're fully aware of the problem, I feel confident !

Cheers, and thanks for your dedication to our passion !

• ED Team

I have merged the threads,

at the moment we do have this reported to the team for consideration but I can not promise anything.

thank you

Thanks BigNewy !

I hope someone in the team will agree with me and find out that this is critical information, and that the way DCS and the dedicated server manages their options is vital to good server operations.

• 5 weeks later...

As requested by @ViFF, here's my sanitized options files.

Simply extract the options file from the zip archive, and replace the existing file in your mission.

Shall you need any help, our Discord awaits you ;)

options.zip