Auxiliary Ship / Supply Class

twistking

My understanding is, that every carrier strike group operates with it's own supply ship.

This would therefor be a much needed asset to go with the supercarrier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply-class_fast_combat_support_ship

+1 The only replenishment ship we have is the Altay class Elnya (which should be called Yelnya AFAIK) replenishment oiler. Though like pretty much all current DCS naval assets, it's in need of a remodel.

Anyway, here's some to start off with

US:

• Henry J. Kaiser class AO
  • Supply class AOE
  • Cimarron class AO
  • Wichita class AO

RU:

• Pr. 160 Altay class AO (remodel)
  • Pr. 1159V Boris-Chilikin class AO
  • Pr. 1833 Berezina class AOE - this one is actually pretty well defensively armed

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

+1. I sometimes use the USS Samuel Chase ship as a resupply ship and try to not look at it too much. It's OK if it's far away from the carrier, but I'd certainly like a modern one.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

A person can dream

Abraham-Lincoln-battlegroup.jpg

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

My understanding is, that every carrier strike group operates with it's own supply ship.

This would therefor be a much needed asset to go with the supercarrier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply-class_fast_combat_support_ship

crazyeddie made USNS Patuxent while ago..I don't think it works due to new edm format.It nwas very beautiful.Not an US ship but well..You can always use this:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1546436/

I would hope that a supercarrier module would include every ship that commonly are part of a carrier strike group, including support ships and subs

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

I would hope that a supercarrier module would include every ship that commonly are part of a carrier strike group, including support ships and subs

Using just US assets it's typically a small number of Ticonderoga class CGs (in-game, but probably could do with minor graphics reworking), a larger number of Arleigh Burke DDGs (getting a Flight IIA) and probably an SSN, I guess probably a Los Angeles or Virginia class SSN (Los Angeles class Flight III is probably the best bet).

As for replenishment ships it's probably one Supply class fast combat support ship or Henry J. Kaiser class replenishment oiler.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

crazyeddie made USNS Patuxent while ago..I don't think it works due to new edm format.It nwas very beautiful.Not an US ship but well..You can always use this:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1546436/

Actually I am the original author of the USNS Patuxent, he used the model under my permission. I did it originally for FSX, so I must have the source files somewhere in an old hard drive.

• 4 weeks later...
I totally agree. Support ships would be nice. And we need to be able to move cargo from there by helicopter.

I think you can already (though I'll presume it's bugged, and it only works with some ships), you can place static objects (incl. the slingload cargoes) and link them to ships.

Now if only we could do that with vehicles...

System:

Yeah. but...digiteal COMBAT simulator, not digital UNREP simulator. I'd rather have TGP symbology in my hud than the USNS Supply.

As a target...meh. Way too many other things in front of the queue. Add another Tico; it shoots back.

"The amateurs discuss tactics: the professionals discuss logistics.”

— Napoleon

Such a weak argument, Raisuli, and ill informed. There is no debate on either one or the other, which reduces your argument to a strawman. You might as well just say that you're not interested in auxiliary ships, because that's all your argument comes down to.

As a target, auxiliary ships make great targets. They're generally easy to sink, and if you sink enough, no fleet can maintain operations, or an invasion will become unsupplied and the invading troops go hungry, become weak and in short order have to be withdrawn or surrender. If you cannot get your supplies to the beach, you've already lost; game over.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I would definitely support supply ships... not just for sailing with a fleet, but also for providing additional targets that are not your hyper-defended destroyers. Additionally, flying helicopters to/from those ships would add to the overall "ecosystem" and make the supercarrier a much richer environment for the carrier-jets as well as the helicopter crews.

Yeah. but...digiteal COMBAT simulator, not digital UNREP simulator. I'd rather have TGP symbology in my hud than the USNS Supply.

Looks like we have another acronym zealot...

All of you people (incl. me), asking for more comprehensive assets... Despicable, should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves, I mean won't anyone think of the acronym?

Sarcasm aside, what makes you think that a person building ships is the same one doing the avionics? The naval scenario is probably the most underdeveloped thing in DCS, by a long way;

• The vast spartsity of assets - only 3 nations have their own ships. Plus out of the ships we do have only a couple have up-to-date graphics (and they're the bloody submarines, which are at the moment pretty useless)
  • The damage modelling - single unit healthbar, no subsystem damage, only coarse location graphical damage. Ships sink in the exact same way, in the same time span regardless of location and severity of damage.
  • No countermeasures (apart from maybe ECM)
  • AI blindly follows waypoints, no defensive/offensive manoeuvring, no control over formations like you can with AI aircraft and ground vehicles.
  • Black hole for anything submerged, there's a seafloor but no 'underwater' though 2.5.6 might've changed that.

Hell even how ships interact with the water, they pitch and roll seemingly randomly with a wind-dependent magnitude, AFAIK there's no heave, sway or surge to speak of.

It's only really now that it's getting some love both with the supercarrier module and functional torpedoes...

Edited by Northstar98

System:

It would be really nice to be able to operate a helicopter off of the supply ship for some VERTREP work :thumbup:

:thumbup:

We just need a decent naval helicopter for that. It's a little disheartening that no ED official has ever commented on this quite popular request and that it never got any place in their future plans.

Still, there is this little spark of hope that a dedicated naval helicopter is so absolutely obvious to complete the naval scenario that this might be the surprise aircraft ED has in store for us. One can dream...

Topic-wise, I would also like to see supply or support ships being added to naval assets.

Edited by Pilot Ike

Well, as for naval helicopters go, I'd take just about anything, and agreed, it is a shame.

System:

"The amateurs discuss tactics: the professionals discuss logistics.”

— Napoleon

Such a weak argument, Raisuli, and ill informed. There is no debate on either one or the other, which reduces your argument to a strawman. You might as well just say that you're not interested in auxiliary ships, because that's all your argument comes down to.

As a target, auxiliary ships make great targets. They're generally easy to sink, and if you sink enough, no fleet can maintain operations, or an invasion will become unsupplied and the invading troops go hungry, become weak and in short order have to be withdrawn or surrender. If you cannot get your supplies to the beach, you've already lost; game over.

You make an excellent point. We need shipyards, too. Without constant maintenance ships don't sail. Reactors needs to be refueled, hulls painted, pumps replaced. Fuel for the dinosaur burners, so oil rigs and refineries. Farms to grow the wheat to make the bread to feed the crews. Steel plants to make the equipment to run the farms. Chemical plants to make the paints, hospitals to treat the sick so mothers can have children to grow up and crew the ships...

They can call it "DLS" for Digital Logistics Simulator, and only the professionals will play it.

I'll stick to falling out of the sky in flames. That seems to be where my talents lie.

On the other hand, maybe I can harpoon a supply ship before some Brustwarze shoots me down with Georg Luger's best known invention. +1 :joystick:

Yeah, we do need real naval bases if not shipyards. We put a ship off the coast with a shit ton of guns and its hanging out with a bunch of yachts? Nah. Gimme a real bombing target with shipping and logistics containers to bomb, etc.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

This will be essential for the upcoming Dynamic campaign as logistic and resupply vehicles/vessels are more than valid targets when winning wars/engagements and often targeted early on vs combat targets.

There is an old proverb, slightly dated, but the meaning is just as relevant:

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.

For want of a shoe the horse was lost.

For want of a horse the rider was lost.

For want of a rider the message was lost.

For want of a message the battle was lost.

For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.

+100 for this request on all sides.

There can be no combat without supplies. And the airfields already have some of this infrastructure in place in the form of ammo and fuel.

You make an excellent point. We need shipyards, too. Without constant maintenance ships don't sail. Reactors needs to be refueled, hulls painted, pumps replaced. Fuel for the dinosaur burners, so oil rigs and refineries. Farms to grow the wheat to make the bread to feed the crews. Steel plants to make the equipment to run the farms. Chemical plants to make the paints, hospitals to treat the sick so mothers can have children to grow up and crew the ships...

They can call it "DLS" for Digital Logistics Simulator, and only the professionals will play it.

I'll stick to falling out of the sky in flames. That seems to be where my talents lie.

On the other hand, maybe I can harpoon a supply ship before some Brustwarze shoots me down with Georg Luger's best known invention. +1 :joystick:

There you go, strawmanning again. I guess the difference between actual logistical activities and the representation of their results on the battlefield is simply too complex for some to comprehend.

No point in discussing with some. The Dunning-Kruger Effect simply renders every exchange into pablum.

Someone wiser than me once said, don't argue with fools, they will drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1