[WIP] Antenna elevation issues and TDC shown altitude coverage

Fortinero

Radar Issue

am i the only one who see that radar scope is not working how it should be Datalink see everything and when u want to see targets also in radar screen nothing like ( wish me luck ) JF-17 since the day 1 was a superior in catching targets now i am struggling to lock a target ? is this how JF-17 radar supposed to be ? and sometimes if there is no AWACS targets disappear from your radar screen even if they are at same altitude as me ....

i dont know i feel like JF-17 is going down and i am frustrated cuz i loved this Bird the most .

and sometimes i took 12 oclock missile without warning is that supposed to happen .

can someone pls explain where is the blind spot cuz it seem to me ( something is wrong with JF-17 )

Edited by Chiron

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4207957&postcount=2

Hello everyone,

We cannot wait to fix the radar issue.

However, due to Chinese New Year holidays during past weeks and coronavirus, our radar programmer now stays home and far away from his PC. And his laptop is too slow to run DCS that he cannot debug and fix it efficiently. Please give us a bit more time.

For we have had fixed and will be release in upcoming 2.5.6, please check the sticky changelog thread.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Edited by uboats

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

So, what EXACTLY is the problem with the radar? I've read this entire thread and it seems to contradict itself a few times. I will be flying the JF17 this weekend and just want to know what to expect until it gets fixed.

It looks like the antenna elevation is lower than shown, but the reports on range and dropping contacts seem to contradict. There are some people saying RWS doesn't work outside of 15nm, but there are pictures here showing RWS contacts at 80nm.

There are some saying TWS works fine inside of 40nm, but others saying it won't show contacts at all and drops them immediately.

I know it's getting fixed later, just want to know what the current work-arounds are

It's not too much of an issue when you have data link. Before you could see targets as far out as 80nm.now it's well within 40 miles and you have to move around the elevation a bit to grab them. It's not much of a problem since you can catch them well outside SD10s launch distance. And they're visible on data link throughout. In fact I've learned the habit of keeping my radar off until it's time to throw sticks.

I know it's getting fixed later, just want to know what the current work-arounds are

Just place your lowest radar elevation to be at or above your target for now. So, If the target is flying at 20k ft, make sure the bottom elevation is at 20k ft too, if it still doesn't show up, increase the elevation by 5000ft. This method works pretty well for contacts within 40nm range scale. You might occasionally pick up targets at 80nm scale too, but it's too unreliable.

There's also a reported bug where If you pick up a contact on the radar, It'd disappear on F-16's D/L. Be aware of that If you're flying with a F-16 friend.

And they're visible on data link throughout. In fact I've learned the habit of keeping my radar off until it's time to throw sticks.

The tricky part about this is an enemy that's flying low with his radar off. I tend to scan an area myself instead of relying on D/L, and there were times where I knew someone was there, but nobody was scanning that specific spot and I didn't have my elevation setup correctly. Therefore, I try my best not to fly unless I got a friend flying along.:lol:

I've yet to be surprised by anyone on data link. And I've yet to successfully surprise anyone by staying close to the ground and radar off. Awacs sees you coming. It might work if you fly A10 speed I guess but will take years and you'll get pissed if you still fail at the end XD

Keep up the good work Deka, dont forget J-11B ;) Best wishes with everything.

Yes Deka, please don't forget about the J11-B if you release that one Deka will have to two most awesome planes in DCS! We will be patient because if the J-11B gets done we will all be too happy to remember how long it took!! Salute to you Deka and blessings during this time of emergency I pray that all is well soon.

I've yet to be surprised by anyone on data link. And I've yet to successfully surprise anyone by staying close to the ground and radar off. Awacs sees you coming. It might work if you fly A10 speed I guess but will take years and you'll get pissed if you still fail at the end XD

It’s possible. Find out where their AWACS orbits and make sure there is terrain between it and you.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could jam AWACS......

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Thanks for the advice guys.

In summary:

1. Keep elevation higher than desired scan zone

2. Unreliable over 40nm in all modes

3. D/L still ok

to help narrow down the issues:

1. is it always to keep el higher?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

to help narrow down the issues:

1. is it always to keep el higher?

That is what I have noticed at least. However I haven’t checked everything the manual antenna elevation indicator on the MFD says during transition to the TWS auto scan centering and STT, I can record a track if that helps.

Sometimes is seems the PL-5 slaved elevation is wrong, sometimes right. And the gunsight is definitely the right elevation.

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Just found out that in order to have the TDC elevation to scan correctly, we need to fly straight and level. If you pitch up, it will scan lower than indicated. Pitch down, it will be higher.

In other words, the radar is doing an aircraft stabilization instead of ground stabilization, which possibly leads to the other ground stabilization bug too.

Edited by Lymark