Training Missions for the JF-17

Rudel_chw

Update 9/Nov/2021:

I'm sorry that my Tutorials have now become obsolete due to all the changes that have happened with DCS and Deka since I first edited these missions.

Unfortunately I don't have time to update them at the moment. I will now remove the Missions from the User Files section, so that people don't get frustrated with them.

I will leave the videos online, as most of the information they contain is still correct.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I'm in the process of editing some training missions for the JF-17, because I felt that the built-in training missions can be improved a bit, by adding voice-overs and making them longer to better explain things. My spoken english isn't good enough, so I used some commercial voices that sound fairly decent, hopefully you will agree.

Update: May 18th 2020; These Mission can now be downloaded from the Users Files section:

[File Removed due to obsolescence]

Update 2: May 23th 2020; Uploaded fixed version, as the latest DCS patch broke a lot of the missions triggers .. please, download the package again  ... sorry for the inconvenience.

Update 3: May 25th: Fixed a couple of issues reported by users, on missions M01 and M11.

Udate 4: July 11th: Fixed an issue on mission M11, where an attacking F-18 was being sneaky and fired on RWS mode, rather than the prior STT mode. Fixed it by replacing the F-18 with an F-14A 🙂 ... be aware that on real games outside of training, your enemies may use RWS or TWS and your RWS will not give you warning when their missiles are launched 🙂

M01 - Cold Start:

The first mission is the typical Cold Start one, but my version strived to follow the Manual's procedure very closely. Here is a video to give you an idea how it works:

I will be adding more missions as I get to finish them. Once the series is complete, I will upload it onto the User's Files.

M02 - Taxi & Take Off:

This is my second Training Mission. I would have liked to have the aircraft begin just as it was at the end of the previous lesson, but the Hot Start option doesn't really leaves the plane to be like at the end of a Cold Start Procedure ... so, the first few steps are a repeat from the last ones of the first Mission, just to bring the plane status up to speed ... and here is a Video so you can see how it works:

M03 - TACAN Navigation:

This is the third Training Mission: Tacan Navigation .. originally I had intended to do the landing, but understanding the TACAN equipment is a pre-requisite for a proper landing approach, so I've placed the Tacan lesson first.

Here is a Video so you can see how it works:

M04 - VFR Approach, Landing & Shutdown:

This is my fourth Training Mission, I really enjoyed editing this one as it is the first mission that I've made that makes use of the guide gates that DCS provides for training use. As with the previous ones, here is a Video that shows how it goes:

Since DEKA's manual is very sparse on after landing & shutdown procedures, I fleshed them a little more, and also took a bit from Bunyap's excellent Landing Training Mission for the F-16 .. in particular, his idea of adding the after landing & shutdown procedures onto the same Lesson as the Landing, so, kudos to Bunyap 🙂

M05 - IFR Landing:

This is my fifth Training Mission for IFR landing. Here is a Video that shows how the mission works:

M07 - Use of the Targeting Pod:

I had intended to do the Radar Training first, but several bugs on the Radar forced me to change the order and tackle first the Training for this other Sensor of the JF-17. Here is a video so you can see what it looks like:

M06 - Use of the BVR Air-Air Radar:

Sorry that it took so long, but I've finally finished my first Training Mission that tackles the JF-17's Radar. As this is an extensive subject, I will cover it on three parts: AA-BVR; AA-CAC and A-G. This is the first part. Here is a video, so that you can see what subjects are covered:

M08 - IFF Usage:

I had promised to follow up with the Close Air Combat modes of the Radar, but finally decided to tackle the IFF System first. Here is a video so you can see what it looks like:

M09 - Radar Close Air Combat Modes:

This Mission attempts to train you on the use of the ACM modes of the Radar. As these are only three very similar Modes, I combined it with a bit of SMS use and employment of AA missiles in ACM. Here is a video so you can see how is the mission like, before deciding to fly it:

M10 - Anti-Shipping with the C-802AK Cruise Missile:

This Mission attempts to train you on the use of this Missile to engage in anti-shipping attacks. Here is a video so you can see how is the mission like, before deciding to fly it:

M11 - Defensive Systems:

This Mission shows how to use the varied Defensive Systems of the JF-17: RWR, MAWS, CM and ECM. Here is a video so you can see how is the mission like, before deciding to fly it:

M12 - Use of the Datalink:

This Mission describes how to use the Datalink System of the JF-17, to increase pilot awareness of the battlefield situation. Here is a video so you can see how is the mission like, before deciding to fly it:

M13 - Employment of the GB-6 gliding bomb:

This Mission describes how to use the GB-6 bombs, to attack a hostile airbase from a range of 45 nm. Here is a video so you can see how is the mission like, before deciding to fly it:

M15 - Suppression of Enemy Air Defences with the LD-10 missile:

This Mission describes how to use the LD-10 radar-seeking missiles, to attack the enemy's Air defences from ranges up to 30 nm. Unlike most of my other training missions, this one does not start with you already on the air, and so it seems more like a full mission than a training one. Check the video to get an idea how the mission works:

M16 - Air-Ground Gunnery:

This Mission attempts to teach the use of the internal Gun against Ground Targets. The Mission has two Slots, that allow you to either fly the whole Mission (Take-off, attack, landing), or begin the Mission already in the air.

I've tried to keep this Mission series free of Mods, but in this case it is not possible to avoid the use of the well known Weapons Range Mod created by the 476th Virtual Fighter Group, please download it from here:

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php?254-Air-Weapons-Range-Objects

It is easy to install, goes onto the Saved Games file tree and doesn't impact the Multiplayer Integrity Check.

Here is a Video, showing how it is used:

Best regards to all,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw
Missions Files no longer available, because of obsolescence.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Great job!! :thumbup: Cant wait for the other tutorials. Wish all these pre-access modules would come with tutorials of this detail.

Thanks for the kind words, tomorrow I will be uploading the Taxi & Take Off Training Mission :)

I also had almost ready the TACAN Navigation Training Mission, but yesterday's update changed the way the TACAN Presets worked, so I'm having to rewrite that part of the lesson :(

... well, at least now the TACAN Magnetic Variation on Caucasus is working ( previously it wasn't possible to input East Variations )

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Looking forward to your training missions. Thanks.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - UNTOUCHED - ABANDONED

You should start a YouTube channel for your vids.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

good job

we are also re-making the training mission :)

Thanks a lot for your kind words, and I'm looking forward to trying any Missions that you produce for this exciting new fighter. Cheers! :thumbup:

Hi,

Today I added the VFR Landing training mission onto the first post. Now, the next step is turning it onto an IFR Mission, hopefully by tomorrow :)

Best regards,

Eduardo

Download link for mission 4?

Sorry, my bad .. I've just added it :)

Hi,

Today I added the IFR Night Landing training mission onto the first post. I made it in two versions: with Mods, or vanilla .. take your pick :D

Best regards,

Eduardo

Hello,

Now, I will start working on a Radar Training mission, it may take a few days as I'm still not quite sure how to tackle the subject :)

Eduardo

Perhaps you could look at GR's or Deka's vids for ideas/structure and make yours more complete, more accurate and better. Maybe in 4 parts - How the radar works, ACM, BVR, A-G. For each of the last three parts, an explanation on the button functions followed by application with weapons deployment (that might have to be in 2 parts each). A little more zooming in might be good too for those who don't see too well. Also, some have disliked the long tutorial vids by GR so he's split them up into shorter vids these days. Then again, some prefer one long vid to cover more. So video length may be something to think about. Can't please all though. In any case, thanks for the good work!

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

... A little more zooming in might be good too for those who don't see too well. Also, some have disliked the long tutorial vids by GR so he's split them up into shorter vids these days. Then again, some prefer one long vid to cover more. So video length may be something to think about...

Thanks for the advice, however please note that these videos are not tutorials... what I’m making are training missions, so when you fly them you can use whatever zoom you prefer and take as long as needed to fly them trough.

The videos are meant as a way to see what the mission is like and what is exactly being taught trough it, before you get to actually fly it yourself :)

If you figure out how to make instructions persistent on top right of screen until player finishes doing them, pls let ED know.

I can easily make instructions that stay until the player changes a switch or knob, or until the player press space bar... however there are times when you can’t just stop the action, for example when you are landing, on those times I try to make the instructions shorter and space them the best I can.

Nicely done!!

Just a note on the start-up: don't go straight to NAV mode. The avionics power in the alignment mode so you can get straight to position entry and INS alignment. It already shows all the pages required.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

Nicely done!!

Just a note on the start-up: don't go straight to NAV mode. The avionics power in the alignment mode so you can get straight to position entry and INS alignment. It already shows all the pages required.

Thanks for your kind words, regarding the NAV Mode, I'm not sure understanding what you mean .. why it would be better not to go into NAV? .. on my Mission, I was trying to follow this Procedure:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26hoF8d8bVZTE_OcBBLg?e=q5YVgl

where I condensed both the procedure on DEKA's manual and the one on Chuck's Guide.

Best regards,

Eduardo

You are entering NAV mode before completing alignment of INS.

The systems start ready for position entry and INS alignment without selecting anything, but by going to NAV (or any other mode) you negate this, later requiring all the pages to be called up again.

Basic flow is:

* Switch config before power

* Aircraft power

* Avionics power

* Start engine

* INS align

* Everything else

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

You are entering NAV mode before completing alignment of INS.

The systems start ready for position entry and INS alignment without selecting anything, but by going to NAV (or any other mode) you negate this, later requiring all the pages to be called up again.

OK, now I understand your point ... please note that at the beginning of the Cold Start mission it is stated that experienced pilots usually modify the start up sequence in order to do it on less time, but for training I was going to stick with a "by the book" approach.

On the other hand, I tried your start up, and found that to do the alignment, the only extra step that I have to do is just to press DST on the UFCP ... hardly "requiring all pages to be called up again" :D

Best regards,

Eduardo

You lose the INS page meaning you can't enter true heading during FAST align.

I can ramp in less time than it takes for the engine to reach idle. Last item is INS to NAV, NWS to ON, and taxi.

Weapons I handle either during taxi or initial climb.

I can be ramp to lethal in under 90 seconds.

I can be ramp to lethal in under 90 seconds.

Good for you, but that’s not the way I like my simming .. it kills immersion, I’m afraid that this mission series is not what you are looking for. Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...

... I will start working on a Radar Training mission, it may take a few days as I'm still not quite sure how to tackle the subject :)

Hello,

For the last couple of weeks, I've been editing a Radar Training mission, but unfortunately have found quite a few bugs on the radar, like the elevation mismatch in TWS, the initial 3-bar scan, the lack of effect between the HI and MED PRF settings, the return of elevation to 0 when bugging a contact in TWS (that makes the rest of the contacts dissapear), etc.

At first I tried to workaround such bugs, but in the end realized that the mission would end up not useful for the long run, once the bugs are solved by Deka.

So, I've finally decided to postpone this mission and begin instead one on the WMD7 Pod and then go into Air-Ground missions before going onto A-A missions.

I expect to have the mission ready on a couple of days, just wanted to let you know that I haven't abandoned this series :)

Cheers!

Eduardo