F4 PHANTOM

thaihorse

I'd like to see (eventually) an F-4 variant series. Start off with the F-4E (arguably the most numerous version) but then add the carrier-capable (mainly US) F-4J/N and then add the UK F-4K Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 (preferably both but either/or is still welcome, also with a RN carrier though the UK F-4s could land/take off from US carriers). This does a number of things:

1. It adds at least 1 variant almost everyone is familiar with or has a loyalty to, as well as opens up a number of historical scenarios.

2. It aids in fleshing out the air forces of quite a few nations represented in DCS (including the woefully under-represented RAF)

3. It allows for non-US carrier operations in Marianas as well as RAZBAMs upcoming Falklands (in the case of the F-4K) - which allows for interesting 'What If' scenarios.

EDIT: An AI WSO is a necessity.

US F-4s could operate off UK carriers - there's a pic of one on Hermes of all things somewhere, that was a rather brave landing ( this is obviously not something done operationally! ). The RAF had a few F-4J as well in the 80s.

First thing first I think there needs to be an API for multicrew designed & implemented, then there's no reinventing the wheel. After that the possibilities are large. Phantom, A-6, Buccaneer, Tornado, F-111, Su-24, Canberra just to throw out a few.

As far as financing goes, I am of the belief the F-16 financed this year's development already, hence no new jets.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Pilot skills and bravery were more important than computers and avionics.

Despite such a romantic notion, There comes a point where if there is considerate enough disproprotion in technology, it becomes such a force multiplier in capacity that it outdoes skill or bravery of a lower tech opponent.

And that's been demonstrated multiple times in history, what a technological edge offers.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 1 month later...

The gap was narrower, come at me with fox 1's and im fairly confident of getting to the merge. I find the greatest leaps were fox3's and datalinks. Without them it starts getting romantic.

Edited by Big Nuts
It needed editing.

honestly after the Tomcat, i can´t think of amore iconic legend....so many theaters, armed forces, the sheer longevity of the platform is a testament of its capabilities...

IF we are talking iconic legends, the F-4 FAR surpasses the Tom Kitty. I’m quite surprised that the F-4 has not already been done by someone by now.

• Like 1

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

IF we are talking iconic legends, the F-4 FAR surpasses the Tom Kitty. I’m quite surprised that the F-4 has not already been done by someone by now.

bu bu but its not immortalized by an overrated film like the kitty kat is ((((

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

bu bu but its not immortalized by an overrated film like the kitty kat is ((((

This really got me thinking that the Phantom has not really ever gotten a decent presence in a movie. The best it has gotten in recent memory was the scene form Sully when he is trying to land an unstable F-4.

Yeah, I have no idea what the "eagerly anticipated" module might be, but people have been wanting a 4th gen red air for a while. The other guess is an F15C since wags apparently likes puns and world play (eagerly=eagle)

Ok, guys, I don't want to cause a stir here, but have you noticed what's in the picture that Wags posted in last Viper update?

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=228923&d=1582902714

Right below the F-16C...

I don't know if it was already shown before, but, if not, I'd say that might be a clue...

• ED Team
F-4E was on develop by belsimtek previously to the F-16CM before put them on hold, surelly Wags use a develop version.

Correct, that screenshot is from our dev version.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Would love to see ED focus on vietnam era aircraft. It was such a cool time for aviation.

Or 1970's era Arab-Israeli conflicts. That gives you MiG 15s, 17s, 19s and 21s, Su 7s and 17s plus Hunters, Mirages, Super Mysteres, F-4s, A-4s plus assorted light bombers. You can add 2nd generation SAMs and even throw in WW2 era prop fighters at a push.

What's not to love?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wildcards BlackJack_sml.jpg

This really got me thinking that the Phantom has not really ever gotten a decent presence in a movie. The best it has gotten in recent memory was the scene form Sully when he is trying to land an unstable F-4.

I did come across this TV film

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

just showing up to another Phantom thread with my support. I hope that the 2 seat aspect is not too challenigng to make fun for a DCS module but I suspect that's what makes this thing late to the party. Wasn't completely happy about the E version though, would want to see a carrier version.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Google "The Great Santini" with Robert Duvall for some F4 highlights.

Edited by Bob1943

Wished ED would add in the NAVAL Phantom along with the Air force version they are developing as well like Heatblur did with the F-14 having two versions. A version of F-14 should be on the way...

The Phantoms have most certainly seen MANY theaters.

Its already delayed as it is...might as well add in Naval version, we can wait...right?

• Like 1

Would love to see Phantom variants in the game. The F-4E is fine, but if they included an F-4S I wouldn’t complain either. The problem I see is that the F-4E they chose from what I understand is modeled after the last variant the USAF flew in the early 90s. Which means we’re probably waiting on Tpod fixes and other additional sensors/weapons. Additionally, any work they’ve done so far will probably need to be redone by the time the model starts back up as their quality of work has increased. To round it out, they’re probably gonna end up creating their own version of HBs JESTER. Once that is all done and the F-4E drops, for them to make an F-4S would require a new model or at the very least an extensive rebuild in addition to changes in the FM. Oh - and then integration into their super carrier module. To get both an F-4E and F-4S in one package for $70 isn’t gonna happen with ED. I can see the F-4E going for $70. I can see the F-4S going for $70 and maybe a $10 off for the F-4J which would also be in the store for $70.

Specs: i9 9900k, GTX 1080ti, 32gb ram, Oculus Rift S

Modules Owned: A-10A, A-10C, F-5E, F-14B, F-15C, F-16C, F-86F, M2000, MiG-29, MiG-21

Modules Most Wanted: F-4B, F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-4J, F-4N, F-4S

just showing up to another Phantom thread with my support. I hope that the 2 seat aspect is not too challenigng to make fun for a DCS module but I suspect that's what makes this thing late to the party. Wasn't completely happy about the E version though, would want to see a carrier version.

Its probably on par with the F14 in the 2 seater dept. HB could and should do it if they can IMO.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Its probably on par with the F14 in the 2 seater dept. HB could and should do it if they can IMO.

Though both require crew/teamwork mindset the pilot does have more control in the F4E than in the tomcat.

In the F4E pilot does at least have close canopy switch, and armament selector panel, and i think the pilot can still guide in AGM65's or bullpups ( hand control stick in the pilots pit) if need be.

In the tomcat pilot can';t so much as wipe his rear end with toilet paper without assistance from the RIO :D

Of course best multiseaters, are the ones where the pilot is control and can do just about everything as if they were a single seater ( F/A18F and F15E) , and the backseater is just there as a ridealong, maybe to manage only the boring repetitive stuff no pilot wants to do, like radios, or manually input coordinates. You know just enough to keep em occupied, and feeling as if they are needed ;)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Guys here's an idea - stop asking for new modules - ask for them to work on the core and sort out the ton of legacy code that is creating havoc.

I'm guessing these guys asking for new modules at the moment are Single player who dont want carrier operations or any type of ground war. Its a mess currently for those that are ignorant of the current picture.

Any dev's need to be fixing what is 2.5.6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat