5 hours ago, ju8712124822 said:

I saw this video

video after 13:42 can see cockpit in F-4EJ

That not different between F-4
So can we get F-4EJ after we have F-4?

Or just F-4E with skin?

I just want to fly Japanese warbird

Zero F-86 F-4EJ F-15J 

The F-4Ej and F-4F are both F-4Es with different load outs and liveries. The F-4EJ initially lacked air to ground capability and the F-4F initially lacked the ability to fire BVR missiles. This changed for both aircraft with future upgrades.  The F-4EJ Kai which added anti-ship missiles involved putting in the same radar as the F-16, the F-4F ICE used the same radar as the F-18.  The ICE was an example of what I like to call a Phantom 2K upgrade-after the planned upgrade the Israelis worked on in the 1990s, as they would feature things like a HUD, MFD, and a radar from an F-teen. A lot of people don't want a Phantom 2K, I could go either way it really depends on how much effort it would take to do them. I would much rather see Eagle focus on the F-4 in the cold war - especially the Vietnam era. If we were to have multiple F-4 modules, I would expect at least 3 based on flight models.

The round nose- which would be the B,C, D, J , N, S these went through a lot of avionics changes 

pointy nose- E, F and G I doubt we'll be getting the F-4G though if we did that would be freaking awesome.

Royal Phantoms- which in terms of Avionics I believe are closer to the Navy versions but the engines would mean a different flight model 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@upyr1, ou're forgetting that what you, or I, want has no bearing on what's getting made by the devs.

Our only choice is whether we buy the one they make, and lets be honest, for everyone saying "I only want x", you'll likely buy *any* version, especially if the reviews say it's good and it ends up on sale.

In the mean time, might be worth taking a leaf out of Victory205's frequent point, and start practicing those flying skills rather than posting, so we can properly fly it when it's out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buzzles said:

@upyr1, ou're forgetting that what you, or I, want has no bearing on what's getting made by the devs.

Our only choice is whether we buy the one they make, and lets be honest, for everyone saying "I only want x", you'll likely buy *any* version, especially if the reviews say it's good and it ends up on sale.

In the mean time, might be worth taking a leaf out of Victory205's frequent point, and start practicing those flying skills rather than posting, so we can properly fly it when it's out.

Not only Will I buy any version but I will buy every version as soon as possible.

• Like 4

On 9/11/2021 at 6:49 AM, upyr1 said:

The F-4Ej and F-4F are both F-4Es with different load outs and liveries. The F-4EJ initially lacked air to ground capability and the F-4F initially lacked the ability to fire BVR missiles. This changed for both aircraft with future upgrades.  The F-4EJ Kai which added anti-ship missiles involved putting in the same radar as the F-16, the F-4F ICE used the same radar as the F-18.  The ICE was an example of what I like to call a Phantom 2K upgrade-after the planned upgrade the Israelis worked on in the 1990s, as they would feature things like a HUD, MFD, and a radar from an F-teen. A lot of people don't want a Phantom 2K, I could go either way it really depends on how much effort it would take to do them. I would much rather see Eagle focus on the F-4 in the cold war - especially the Vietnam era. If we were to have multiple F-4 modules, I would expect at least 3 based on flight models.

The round nose- which would be the B,C, D, J , N, S these went through a lot of avionics changes 

pointy nose- E, F and G I doubt we'll be getting the F-4G though if we did that would be freaking awesome.

Royal Phantoms- which in terms of Avionics I believe are closer to the Navy versions but the engines would mean a different flight model 

This made me think that if there was at least a F-4E that gets made that a mod could later be created to make it function like other variants using the same tech that is already implemented in other modules. The player would just have to have it installed like the F-16 to use its radar tech and so on. This is all just a theory based on how current mods are made. It would just take a very talented programmer to try it out.

On 9/11/2021 at 4:49 AM, upyr1 said:

Its not so much that people don't want a modern phantom, its more that people want the older ones MORE because they were the iconic cold war fighter for the west, and its currently the biggest GAP for that time period in DCS IMO. I mean a "modern" phantom well, what can it do that that a Fteen can't do better really? Plus I think alot of people are getting a bit burned out on the do-it-all wunderwaffles. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

39 minutes ago, Evoman said:

This made me think that if there was at least a F-4E that gets made that a mod could later be created to make it function like other variants using the same tech that is already implemented in other modules. The player would just have to have it installed like the F-16 to use its radar tech and so on. This is all just a theory based on how current mods are made. It would just take a very talented programmer to try it out.

It would be interesting to see what the community could do.

18 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Its not so much that people don't want a modern phantom, its more that people want the older ones MORE because they were the iconic cold war fighter for the west, and its currently the biggest GAP for that time period in DCS IMO. I mean a "modern" phantom well, what can it do that that a Fteen can't do better really? Plus I think alot of people are getting a bit burned out on the do-it-all wunderwaffles. 

My thought on a Phantom 2K is simple, only after we have the B,C,D, E, F, G, J,K, and M in a cold war configurations

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, upyr1 said:

It would be interesting to see what the community could do.

My thought on a Phantom 2K is simple, only after we have the B,C,D, E, F, G, J,K, and M in a cold war configurations

Its a very agreeable sentiment.

• Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Have we gotten any confirmations about an F-4 Phantom module, yes/no ?

I mean, seemed too early to know what variant, and what developer, but I'm just wanting to know if there was a translation or interpretation issue, or if someone truly has begun work on a Phantom? Or is this still somewhat muddy?

4 minutes ago, Rick50 said:

Have we gotten any confirmations about an F-4 Phantom module, yes/no ?

I mean, seemed too early to know what variant, and what developer, but I'm just wanting to know if there was a translation or interpretation issue, or if someone truly has begun work on a Phantom? Or is this still somewhat muddy?

NO

On 9/12/2021 at 5:08 PM, Harlikwin said:

Personally, I see no point in modern 2000s upgraded F-4 variants (like the Terminator 2000, or the ICE or whatever), when the only operators of these modern Phantoms operate aircraft that would be far more suitable for the period.

The F-4 is a Cold War aircraft, a staple Cold War aircraft for BLUFOR and that's exactly the era it belongs in.

The most modernised Phantom I'm after is a mid-to-late 80s F-4E. I guess the F-4K/M too, but after AIM-9L and Skyflash it didn't receive anything significantly new (the AIM-9L and Skyflash being both late 70s/early 80s things).

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I'm not really interested in the modern upgraded Phantoms, because by 1991 those were no longer the tip of the spear for any airforce. All/most of those airforces had newer jets, the Phantoms kept because they were costly but paid off, and still pretty good, but were no longer the top dog. Nothing wrong with that... Japan's Phantoms seem to be kept in better shape than when they first rolled out of the hangars in St Louis, a serious point of pride, and still formidable! But Japan has had Eagles for a very long time too, along with other newer jets. 

I want Phantoms from the era when they were the king of the skies, the sledghammer of doom with power and speed. When their appearance caused Mig pilots to shudder and focus real hard on their next few decisions. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rick50 said:

I'm not really interested in the modern upgraded Phantoms, because by 1991 those were no longer the tip of the spear for any airforce. All/most of those airforces had newer jets, the Phantoms kept because they were costly but paid off, and still pretty good, but were no longer the top dog. Nothing wrong with that... Japan's Phantoms seem to be kept in better shape than when they first rolled out of the hangars in St Louis, a serious point of pride, and still formidable! But Japan has had Eagles for a very long time too, along with other newer jets. 

I want Phantoms from the era when they were the king of the skies, the sledghammer of doom with power and speed. When their appearance caused Mig pilots to shudder and focus real hard on their next few decisions. 

Japans phantoms were actually the tip of the spear in the maritime defense role (the key to Japanese defense strategy) till the early 2000s when the F-2 went online. The F-1 was obsolete by the early 90s and its radar was insufficient in both range and filtering sea clutter to use the Type 93 anti ship missile, only the much shorter range type 80. The F-4ej super Kai with the apg-66j was the main anti shipping aircraft till the F-2 went operational, and supplemented it till retirement. 

Edited by F-2

Right, but you know what I mean. B-52's also carried Harpoon ASM's, ship mines, and maybe even torpedos. Boeing 737's carry torpedos, Harpoons and other ordnance, but no one's confusing a P-8 Poseidon or B-52 with an F-35 Lighting or Superbug or Tomcat...  I'm just saying that while it may be very important to the sea defense of Japan for the last three decades... many of us are more interested in Phantoms of the era when they were still the "King of the Fighter Hill".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

yeah im hoping ED can make time to restart the F4E project that Belsimtek was doing.

If anyone remembers It was going to be a block 53, a  late life model circa 1980s with ARN101/DMAS modification and ability to mount the Pave Tack targeting pod.

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

14 hours ago, Kev2go said:

yeah im hoping ED can make time to restart the F4E project that Belsimtek was doing.

If anyone remembers It was going to be a block 53, a  late life model circa 1980s with ARN101/DMAS modification and ability to mount the Pave Tack targeting pod.

I'd pay money for a woman to whisper that into my ear.

"Block 53... Paaaave taaaaaaack"

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

15 hours ago, Kev2go said:

Ah, sticking with the "most capable" if not most relevant variant theory. 

4 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Ah, sticking with the "most capable" if not most relevant variant theory. 

Nah, that would be the ICE, Kurnas, EJ Kai or Terminator 2000 abominations.

AFAIK an 80s F-4E could go back to 1977 with weapons restricting, not sure of any other changes, besides Pave Tack controls (though hopefully, that'll be integrated like the Tomcat).

Besides, it's not like there's much in the way for Vietnam scenarios, an 80s version better fits DCS as it stands IMO.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

For me, it has to be a F4-B or the UK F4 variant. I can't stand the long nose snout versions with a prolonged second snout underneath the big snout. Vietnam and UK are the best variants and maybe a 'Kickstart' Vietnam funding campaign is the only way to get the F4 in DCS. I am in for £1000.

Mizzy 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Nah, that would be the ICE, Kurnas, EJ Kai or Terminator 2000 abominations.

AFAIK an 80s F-4E could go back to 1977 with weapons restricting, not sure of any other changes, besides Pave Tack controls (though hopefully, that'll be integrated like the Tomcat).

Besides, it's not like there's much in the way for Vietnam scenarios, an 80s version better fits DCS as it stands IMO.

Yeah, I know. I'd just prefer more of a 70's-early 80's version. I really don't think another TGP wunderwaffle is really needed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah, I know. I'd just prefer more of a 70's-early 80's version. I really don't think another TGP wunderwaffle is really needed.

It's anything but wunderwaffe though, and I very much prefer we get a TGP phantom. Even the lantirn on tomcat hella more advanced than either TGP we may get for phantom. But lately I too lean somewhat closer to one block earlier that had Pave Spike and more old-school analog navigation and bombing computers. Still though, block 53 with ARN-101 wouldn't be any sort of wunderwaffe really. And an oldie, early TGP is a new thing to experience in DCS, and the best thing is, if you don't mount it, you have a non TGP F-4.

Pave Tack on F-4 is already early 80s, but Pave Spike has been a thing on F-4s since 75 or so.

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

6 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

If you don't want a TGP on your Phantom II then you really want a Rolling Thunder era or Naval Phantom.  The F-4 was one of the first planes the USAF used to drop smart bombs. IMHO the real question with the F-4 isn't what the minimal you want or expect, but the maximum you would care to buy? Everyone has their dream versions and dream module(s) but right now if we just look at the DCS line up, we have the Mig-19, MiG-21 Bis, and the following theaters the Persian Gulf, Nevada and Syria. 

The MiG-19 doesn't have any good op for yet, and while we have the F-8 coming out early model (B to D) Phantom IIs would work as well.

The MiG-21 Bis has the F-5E late model F-4s would be welcomed here as well 

Nevada any Phantom variant will work, especially if we get more planes from the 1960s and 70s

Syria - the map is more modern but anything used by Israel or Egypt will work so mainly E's

Iran they still have D's and E's 

Marinas - if we get more cold war Naval assets anything will work 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

You could get both by weapons restricting, AFAIK after ARN-101 I'm not aware of significant changes besides integration of new weapons.

As WinterH said above, Pave Tack is early 80s, it's first generation FLIR, and if the T.O. 1-F-111F-1 I have is anything to go by, it doesn't even have point and area tracking, only an assisted mode (presumably ground stabilisation, the document refers to 'rate aiding signals' that get 'added' to operator inputs. There is also a memory point track mode (presumably takes last known rates and compensates for aircraft motion).

Unlike the LTS pod in the Tomcat, its laser is only 12k ft rated AFAIK, putting you more in danger.

Pave Spike is mid 70s (ARN-101 being '77), and is 1st generation TV only, and presumably its track and ground stabilisation modes are even worse than the Pave Tack.

However, I'd prefer an implementation to how its handled in the Tomcat, whereby if LANTIRN is uninstalled, the cockpit controls for it are as well (and maybe this could be tied to historical mode too). Which will allow you to better represent older aircraft.

• Like 2

System: