System failures for "client" aircraft in multiplayer.

statrekmike

As of right now, it is possible in the mission editor to enable various system failures as long as the plane in question is set to "player". This is fine for single player missions and while it does rely on a individual module's specific implementation of system failures, it works rather well. Sadly, this option is simply not present for "client" aircraft in a multiplayer mission.

Now, to be clear, I understand the thought behind this. Obviously such a feature would not be useful for larger public server scenarios and the like but since that system needs to be manually enabled by the mission maker, it is easy to not use such a feature if the server's usual visitors would not like it. All that said. There are mission makers and even smaller private groups that would really enjoy having the ability to enable random failures for "client" aircraft. It would make a great training tool or even act as a way to spice up co-op missions. You could even argue that having such a system justifies doing proper start-ups that include system tests and the like.

Again, I know that this kind of thing would not be of any use for big public servers but since it would essentially be the same as the "player" set aircraft option, it would be something that a mission maker would have to specifically set out to enable and thus would only become a factor on servers that desire it.

Please. This would be a great way to give smaller groups more mission creation options without having to create a whole new thing. The system already exists for aircraft set to "player", why not allow it as a option for aircraft set to "client" as well?

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

+1

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The trouble with realistic failure rates is that they’re so rare a pilot could fly their whole career without experiencing one. I’ve had one bird strike on takeoff in the A-10C and it was awesome. I responded the right way and landed scratching my head wondering who shot me. Then realized it was a bird!

Also I don’t suppose many modules have their systems modeled to the degree required to respond to these. I know the Warthog does and the M-2000C just got an update. 

• Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

39 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Also I don’t suppose many modules have their systems modeled to the degree required to respond to these.

All of them except FC3. In fact, that's the very thing that sets FC3 apart. 🤣

• Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2020 at 6:57 PM, statrekmike said:

As of right now, it is possible in the mission editor to enable various system failures as long as the plane in question is set to "player". This is fine for single player missions and while it does rely on a individual module's specific implementation of system failures, it works rather well. Sadly, this option is simply not present for "client" aircraft in a multiplayer mission.

Now, to be clear, I understand the thought behind this. Obviously such a feature would not be useful for larger public server scenarios and the like but since that system needs to be manually enabled by the mission maker, it is easy to not use such a feature if the server's usual visitors would not like it. All that said. There are mission makers and even smaller private groups that would really enjoy having the ability to enable random failures for "client" aircraft. It would make a great training tool or even act as a way to spice up co-op missions. You could even argue that having such a system justifies doing proper start-ups that include system tests and the like.

Again, I know that this kind of thing would not be of any use for big public servers but since it would essentially be the same as the "player" set aircraft option, it would be something that a mission maker would have to specifically set out to enable and thus would only become a factor on servers that desire it.

Please. This would be a great way to give smaller groups more mission creation options without having to create a whole new thing. The system already exists for aircraft set to "player", why not allow it as a option for aircraft set to "client" as well?

+1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...