DCS: Black Shark - Q&A **READ FIRST!**

EvilBivol-1

Im not fully understanding why you should get hypoxia in a helicopter, or at least in the Ka-50. You have a oxygen tank for flying at a altitude of over 6000 meters.

Could you elaborate the term "ECS" ?

Read my first sentence... Is NOT a Ka-50 question really.

ECS is the acronym of Environment control system - Oxygen supply, temp. control, cockpit pressure control and these kind of things.

Regards!!!

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this had been asked previously.

How does DCS handle tracks and mission files now?

We all know the harsh story with LockOn training tracks - each time new patch got released all previous tracks replayed incorrectly, and missions/campaigns builded with previous versions were generating problems, crashing LO etc.

So has ED changed they way missions and tracks are being saved now? New better format - that will be backwards/forward compatible when there will be many DCS versions and addons released?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I am amazed. 6000m is awfully high, for a helo.

Is RPM overspeed modelled in relation high altitude operation ?

I have in the past created a mission starting from a FARP at the peak of Mount Elbrus at 5600m :D

Flying up there is a REAL challenge. I think the rotor RPM is governed, so rotor overspeed isn't a big factor . . . but there's no power and no lift. Rolling takeoffs are a must.

Landing's actually a bigger challenge . . . slowing your descent in air that thin is really tricky.

IPv6 support? future ready...

Hoi all,

Just read an article that some isp's in holland are nearly IPv6 ready, or will be within 1 or 2 years.

Got me thinking. DCS is supposed to be a series that should last for a few years at least, and seeing how people still play with F4 more then 10 years after release, how future proof is DCS?

Or can IPv6 support be implemented at a later installment when needed?

Koriel out

Even if (when?) IPv6 is finally implemented, it is assumed that IPv4 will be used concurrently for the foreseeable future. So even if an ISP "switches" to IPv6, they won't be turning off their ability to also route IPv4 packets. In other words, all apps of today that use IPv4 network stacks will continue to work indefinitely, as IPv4 will never be "turned off". At most, it will just eventually be encapsulated within an IPv6 packet. Not to say that game developers won't rewrite parts of programs to take advantage of newer protocols, just saying that their apps won't break if they don't.

Hoi all,

Just read an article that some isp's in holland are nearly IPv6 ready, or will be within 1 or 2 years.

Got me thinking. DCS is supposed to be a series that should last for a few years at least, and seeing how people still play with F4 more then 10 years after release, how future proof is DCS?

Or can IPv6 support be implemented at a later installment when needed?

Koriel out

• ED Team
Well this isn't a BlackShark related question, but a next modules ones.

How about hypoxia and other biological effects? Are you thinking how to model them in the next engine? I've read Ka-50 haven't the ECS system modelled, ok, but for fast airplanes, the ECS is a fundamental part and I think it should be modelled, and not only the system, but the biological effects of a malfunction too (blurry sight, tunnel effect, faints...)

Regards!!

As I mentioned a short while ago here, we are not discussing any details about later modules at this time. Too many things could change and we want to keep the focus on the Ka-50.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=486493&postcount=20

I don't think you're gonna fly Ka-50 that high to experience hypoxia!

IRL, the FAR-25 stated that the hypoxia height limit in an civil airplane are 11000 ft, and the maximum cockpit height are 9000ft. Theorically, you (if you aren't a fighter pilot :D) can have hypoxia symptoms in a Ka-50, because the pressure change very quick inside the cockpit and your body can't produce enough red corpuscles to maintain the O2 level ok - anyway it's true, you have to be very rude with the collective and have a very weak body to have hypoxia in a helicopter!!

Regards!!

IRL, the FAR-25 stated that the hypoxia height limit in an civil airplane are 11000 ft, and the maximum cockpit height are 9000ft. Theorically, you (if you aren't a fighter pilot :D) can have hypoxia symptoms in a Ka-50, because the pressure change very quick inside the cockpit and your body can't produce enough red corpuscles to maintain the O2 level ok - anyway it's true, you have to be very rude with the collective and have a very weak body to have hypoxia in a helicopter!!

Regards!!

I don't think FAR 25 applies to helicopters. I go up to 12000 feet regularly, and come right back down, and have yet to experience or seen any of my coworkers or passengers experience hypoxia.

I wonder if this had been asked previously.

How does DCS handle tracks and mission files now?

We all know the harsh story with LockOn training tracks - each time new patch got released all previous tracks replayed incorrectly, and missions/campaigns builded with previous versions were generating problems, crashing LO etc.

So has ED changed they way missions and tracks are being saved now? New better format - that will be backwards/forward compatible when there will be many DCS versions and addons released?

Already answered ;)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=417145&postcount=135

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=461217&postcount=265

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

I don't think FAR 25 applies to helicopters. I go up to 12000 feet regularly, and come right back down, and have yet to experience or seen any of my coworkers or passengers experience hypoxia.

Yes, FAR 25 it's only for passanger jets. The norm have to avoid dangerous situation for everybody (70-year-old men with heart problems too), so maybe for young soldier 12000ft isn't a problem - anyway in a airplane you feel the hypoxia symptoms sooner than doing climbing in a high mountain, for example, because the high rate of pressure change.

++++++++++++++++++++

I have other question about Ka-50

We could see a brief description of the Shkval's automatic scan mode in the #5 producer note. It would be nice if you told us some more. Does Shkval look automatically in a target when the cross pass over it? Can I use the helmet visor for designating an approximate zone where the target are and then run Shkval in a automatic scan mode in that small region?

Regards!!

thats way too fare away to even anser. the BS releas in 08 (fingers crossd) a10 in 2009 and the ah64a in 2010. and after that DCS does not even know what will be released. Releas of the a10a and ah64a are asumed years :music_whistling: acording to their time line of a new modual every 9 months. :smilewink:

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

thats way too fare away to even anser. the BS releas in 08 (fingers crossd) a10 in 2009 and the ah64a in 2010. and after that DCS does not even know what will be released. Releas of the a10a and ah64a are asumed years :music_whistling: acording to their time line of a new modual every 9 months. :smilewink:

I bet ED can speculate, though ;)

I wouldn't bet against it. Using well-thought-out triggers, you could just about figure out such a mission in BS right now . . . .

If we are going to see the Mi-24 Hind series, do we then get missions where we are transporting troops?
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=488704&postcount=388

Can You give us full list of new 3d aircrafts models already implemented in the first iratation of DCS?

We could, but probably when that list is locked in. 3D models are being developed constantly and I think there may still be new ones included.

* The thread has been pruned again.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

I have a small question regarding behaviour of AI helicopter units. In previous ED games, helicopters were able to take off and land only from airbases so transporting troops was unreallistic. I mean, one couldn't create a land/take off waypoint in the field or a road, where ground troops would deploy. So what's with the DCS:BS?! Will we be able to set waypoints for AI driven helos to land somewhere in the field?

Edit:

Another one: Weather conditions?! Any new cloud models (better transition from clouds set to 8 and clouds set to 9), hi alt cirrus clouds, if not dynamic then versatile static weather (clear skies over Krimsk, but raining in Majkop and snowing in Teberda), wet tarmac textures with objects reflecting in water when raining?!!

Any weather improvements in DCS?

Thanks all!

P.S.

If already discussed please post a link to original answers!

Thanks again!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 Yes you will be able to have a choper land troops foward from a transport helo. This was talked about in the ME thread as how to do a SAR mission. Wile troops can be droped off they can not be picked up for some reason.

2 See the producer's notes 4 and 5 show some clouds and dark skys.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

1 Yes you will be able to have a choper land troops foward from a transport helo. This was talked about in the ME thread as how to do a SAR mission. Wile troops can be droped off they can not be picked up for some reason.

No, you are in a mistake. Helicopters can't landing in other sites than FARP or Airbases. In the post you talk about, somebody (evilbivol?) said that it's possible to have a waypoint, and when the helicopter arrives, *spawn* some units around the waypoint with triggers, but the helicopter can't land really.

Regards!!

2 See the producer's notes 4 and 5 show some clouds and dark skys.

So AI can't land anywhere I want them to and those clouds from #4 and #5 look same as clouds from LOFC!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]