Help with mouse and keyboard placement

kmaultsby

Hello all, As I posted a little over a month ago I am getting back into flight-sim after about six years of being away. I have Thrustmaster Warthog and MFD’S all attached to the Monstertech Joystick / Hotas Table mount. I love the mounts, but the only problem is they keep me a little too far away from the table to reach the keyboard and mouse. They do sell a keyboard and mouse mounts but that maybe a little too much. I was thinking about purchasing just the mouse attachment, but I am still looking for other options. Now, this is where help from you all here on the forum. The planes I will be mostly flying are A10 the F/A 18 and the F16. How much do you really use the keyboard and mouse in the sim? Any suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same situation, having been away from flight sims for 10-years. Just received my TM Warthog HOTAS and am making a few revisions to my old sim chair to best accommodate the new TM HOTAS.

Yes, having the stick between you and the desktop keyboard is a location problem, but all the planes that I flew in the USAF had center sticks, so I like staying true to my old flying days. I too do not know how much keyboard/mouse usage is required to fly the modern jets (when using a HOTAS) in DCS. I have been thinking about adding a wood platform to the right side of my sim chair to set a wireless keyboard and mouse on. It would not be attached to my chair, so I could move it out of the way when not needed. Been doing some design sketches this afternoon. It I get something I like, I will post a picture.

Edited by Bob1943

Ergonomically sound keyboard and mouse input layout in relation to the HOTAS is exactly why I didn't go with a center mount (this is different for everyone obviously). My preferred layout from left to right is trackball, throttle, mini mechanical keyboard, stick and finally, mouse.

With that said, even with a center mount, you should be able to rig up something to the left or right of your center stick based on your preference. I would go with a mini or tenkeyless mechanical keyboard though so everything is more in reach from left to right regarding the keyboard.

And with the Cherry MX patent expiring a few years ago, mechanical keyboards are cheaper than ever and by a lot of different manufacturers. I'm using a Keycool 84 with brown switches and with green LEDs to match the Warthog throttle green LEDs, but that model of Keycool are hard to find anymore, but there are several other manufacturers to choose from:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mini+mechanical+keyboard&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Edited by zcaa0g

I am currently planning to use VoiceAttack with the VAICOM 2.5 Plugin.

If it works as designed it should minimize the need to use KB and Mouse for 50 to 80% of the actions. (need quiet time and fewer interruptions from the loved ones to set up)

Today I use a small RAZER BlackWidow Tournament Edition keyboard with no Numperpad.

I then use a wireless Numberpad that I can place anywhere above or beside Joystick with the mouse.

Cheers.

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

"mini or tenkeyless mechanical keyboard"

Those keyboards do not have the NumPad, right? A lot of the functions in DCS use the NumPad keys. How are you getting around that limitation when using a keyboard with no NumPad?

Toggle key for numpad that is consolidated on the mini keyboard is one way. The other way is Touch Portal on an tablet I am using and a Elgato 32 button Stream Deck. :)

So even if you have a mini-keyboard, it sounds like you are still going to need a NumPad nearby, so why not just use a combined full function keyboard. I know size is an issue regarding real estate space.

After a few iterations on my design, I am beginning to lean towards a retractable keyboard mount. Similar to a VESA monitor mount that would rotate 90 degrees up (to horizontal position) when in use and rotate 90 degrees down (vertical position) when not in use. I would install this on the vertical side of a wood platform that would sit on the left side of my sim chair. The top of the platform would be the mouse surface, and the keyboard mount would swing out to the right.

kmaultsby: I said that I would post a picture of my design if I got something that I liked. Here is the design that I arrived at. This would be built from 3/4" plywood and have a retractable keyboard tray that could be rotated down and out of the way when not in use. The top of the main platform would be used for normal mouse operations.

I use a center stick position with my flight sim chair. So this platform would sit next to the right side of my chair. Since the platform is not attached to my flight sim chair, the entire structure could be moved out of the way when not in use.

I just purchased a TM Warthog stick & throttle, as well as the TM 2-pack of MFDs. So, I will have lots of buttons to map commands to. Until I get into DCS and start flying the F/A-18C (or A10C), I don't know how much a keyboard will even be required. However, if a keyboard does become essential, I will use this design to have one sitting right next to me, instead of way out in front on a desktop.

57135025_MobileMouseampKeyboardPlatform.thumb.jpg.1a0c3b67830f3c0e6f337bcc80f1a61c.jpg

So even if you have a mini-keyboard, it sounds like you are still going to need a NumPad nearby, so why not just use a combined full function keyboard. I know size is an issue regarding real estate space.

After a few iterations on my design, I am beginning to lean towards a retractable keyboard mount. Similar to a VESA monitor mount that would rotate 90 degrees up (to horizontal position) when in use and rotate 90 degrees down (vertical position) when not in use. I would install this on the vertical side of a wood platform that would sit on the left side of my sim chair. The top of the platform would be the mouse surface, and the keyboard mount would swing out to the right.

The numpad is on the mini-keyboard, you just have to use the toggle key to switch to it. It's fast as in hit the toggle key, press the desired numpad key and then hit the toggle key again to go back to the full mini-keyboard keys.

It's a quite valid option, but with that said, I really don't have to use it due to Touch Portal (100+ keys on a single page times whatever number of pages you want to use) which is right behind the mini-keyboard along with the 32 button Elgato Steam Deck which is in front and just to the right of the keyboard.

Setup a TV tray on your left side for the keyboard and a stool on the right for a trackball.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I'm right handed, but I prefer to have the trackball on the left side. That way, the right hand can be on the flight stick at all times and only have to take the hand off the throttle when wanting/needing to use the trackball.

The Kensington Expert wired or wireless trackball works really well as the ball is in the center as opposed to the left or right side and the scroll wheel in intuitive for zoom or dial rotation functions. And it really is more convenient and comfortable to have a mini-keyboard between the flight stick and throttle regardless of center mounted or side mounted that way it is still facing toward you and not off to the side.

Seems like a couple of us old guys are returning to the flight aim world after being away for a while. I'm in the same boat but grew up playing with a right side mounted stick in Falcon X.X and I played ww2 sims that way for years. I'm wanting to try the center mount but am running into issues with a suitable mounting system for my curved desk.

Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ

A-10C_UserBar_04.gif.632b6636b377c44d7dc562f85b269d2b.gif

I'll just put in a second recommendation for an Elgato Stream Deck (or two). Since getting mine I pretty much never use the keyboard in flight, and they are small enough that you could make a mount to place them on either side of your throttle (or just above it) without much trouble.

I have a profile for each aircraft and folders for engine management, weapons, external views, etc. It also means you don't have to remember if the command you want is LALT+LSHIFT+LWIN+" or LCTRL+LALT+LSHIFT+: or whatever... once you program a button you just have an icon or label on the button. And of course each button changes when you go into a different folder.

Of course, some would argue that Vaicom/Voice Attack makes even Streamdeck unnecessary, but if I'm not in VR I'd rather just press a button than say "Left Main Fuel Gauge Snap View." Plus making Stream Deck icons is a fun diversion when you get rage-triggered by the KA-50 autopilot modes...

Also, the Wheel Stand Pro for HOTAS has a keyboard and mouse mount too. The mounts are interchangeable so you can put it in center if you prefer side stick. It isn't cheap, and would replace your current mounts (which I'm sure you could sell), but mine is solid as hell and works great. It also has the benefit of anchoring your pedals.

(They don't have a native mounting plate yet for Virpil or VKB sticks, but I made one for my Virpil without much trouble).

• 1 month later...