Not just a great sim, but a hilarious manual

RampantCoyote

My hat is off to Deka Ironwork not only for the JF-17, but also the "Quick Guide." I am saving it in case it disappears after early access, replaced by a more boring (yet more complete, and better edited) manual.

Seriously, this documentation is full of gems. Whoever wrote this has a great sense of humor and has made an effort to turn what is normally a pretty dry document into something fun to read. "Chenglish" and all.... it's hysterical.

Some of these gems for those who haven't done any RTFM:

"For most modern weapons, the moment you press launch button is like the day your daughter get married – the rest has nothing to do with you. But C-802AKG is different, at specific mod, you can control the weapon from launch to hit. C-802AKG has three launch modes: DIR, COO and MAN...."

"Before learning JF-17’s air to air combat, you must realize that JF-17 is a very small fighter jet with about 14,000lb empty weight. Although it has a decent radar (KJL-7), not too bad medium range A2A missile (SD-10) and very powerful datalink system, plane’s size naturally limits its speed, loadout and range. So… Don’t do stupid thing…"

"Maybe you guys think JF-17 is a “REDFOR” fighter jet, but in fact from design to operation this is a typical “BLUEFOR” fighter. If you want to experience true “REDFOR”, please wait for our next module… I’m not sure why Chengdu still kind of conserved about the control stick, maybe just because the stick has enough buttons. But for the throttle grip, they decided just choose this thing..."

Deka: You rock. :)

Yes, I enjoyed the manual too ... but hope that the developer will flesh it out a bit more, tough Chuck's Guide does help a lot.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

"Before learning JF-17’s air to air combat, you must realize that JF-17 is a very small fighter jet with about 14,000lb empty weight. Although it has a decent radar (KJL-7), not too bad medium range A2A missile (SD-10) and very powerful datalink system, plane’s size naturally limits its speed, loadout and range. So… Don’t do stupid thing…"

Yeah, I think this really nicely sums it up, and was my favorite quote out of it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The humor was so refreshing. The videos are the same way.

The better forget you have a gun part is painfully true. Stars need to align for you to hit someone else who’s flying. Even air to ground 180 rounds of 23mm it’s not something to rely on in anything but a permissive environment of soft targets. With that gyro only sight I’ve never been so thankful for dispersion in my life. I can’t think of many other planes that have their guns fixed below the boresight!

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

The humor was so refreshing. The videos are the same way.

The better forget you have a gun part is painfully true. Stars need to align for you to hit someone else who’s flying. Even air to ground 180 rounds of 23mm it’s not something to rely on in anything but a permissive environment of soft targets. With that gyro only sight I’ve never been so thankful for dispersion in my life. I can’t think of many other planes that have their guns fixed below the boresight!

At a guess the designers probably considered the gun as a last ditch A/G weapon anyway. I can't really think of a realistic modern A/A scenario where you'd be playing red baron. Even surviving to the merge is debatable anymore and then with HOBS missiles, surviving long enough to maneuver for a gun kill seems.... Unlikely.... :music_whistling:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

But I died..... Muh famly!

At least you dont have to worry about your daughter now ;)

At a guess the designers probably considered the gun as a last ditch A/G weapon anyway. I can't really think of a realistic modern A/A scenario where you'd be playing red baron. Even surviving to the merge is debatable anymore and then with HOBS missiles, surviving long enough to maneuver for a gun kill seems.... Unlikely.... :music_whistling:

In modern air warfare, the gun is there as a low-lethal option. Think warning shots and the like.

Yeah you’re right, doesn’t change how useless it can be:) I was wondering there if are more sight modes available later on or it’s fully modeled, because try hitting a fighter with the gunsight it’s basically acting as a gyro with ranging only radar. You have to do the old Israeli trick of holding the piper on the target for a full second to get an accurate solution.

Don’t get me wrong I love using it, have done so much BFM and gotten used to having to be able to see the oil stains on their jet before I’m close enough to pull enough lead with a gun that points down:)

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 4 months later...

I felt like total novice trying to shoot an E-3A the other night. The rounds missed every part of the aircraft. Rear aspect shoot isn't a good idea. Best to come from above or below where the aircraft presents a larger target, and shoot as the aircraft flies through the pipper.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."