Operating Cockpit Controls Bugged or Deliberate Actions?

Johnny Dioxin

I'm currently testing my kneeboard start-up guides and coming across issues that were not previously present in VR.

For example, in the Sabre, I was completely unable to close the canopy at all. It showed a behaviour similar to those seen in other cockpits, where pressing a button for an assigned control (canopy switch in the Sabre)and holding it didn't hold the button or lever in the cockpit.

It had the same effect as if I had simply clicked it momentarily. When the item being operated got close to being at it's intended end position, it would suddenly revert to its original position. This would then repeat ad infinitum.

So to make it clearer, I am using my HOTAS assignment for "left click" to press the canopy operating switch. I hold the button down, but the canopy only moves a couple of inches. I release the button and press it again and the canopy moves a couple more inches. This continues until it is almost closed, but on the next press of the virtual left mouse button, it suddenly slides all the way back open.

This also happened with several slider type controls in the P-51D, in exactly the same way.

I was eventually able to get the P-51D controls to work by left clicking (using my HOTAS UI assigned buttons again) and then operating my virtual mousewheel, whilst still holding the left-click button.

Took a while to work out how to do this, and I have to say, if it's intentional then it is far worse than the original control, which was simple, effective and intuitive. We need either a left or right click, or mousewheel action - not both at the same time! At least not for simple lever movement or switch pressing.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2